http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/ ... TE=DEFAULT

Aug 2, 5:26 AM EDT
Bush says he'll work with Congress on immigration

President Bush says he will work with congressional leaders on an immigration reform bill, will accept the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission recommendations, but won't pick favorites in the Texas governor race.

Bush spoke on the eve of his return to his Crawford, Texas, ranch Monday in Washington with five Texas newspapers.

On immigration reform, Bush said his administration is working with congressional leaders to pass a bill that will address competing proposals.

Some lawmakers want increased border enforcement. Others want to provide permanent legal status to the more than 11 million immigrants living here illegally.

Bush has not endorsed either proposal but said he doesn't support an amnesty program.

"It's very important for the American people to know that immigration reform will be done with a border security initiative that makes it clear to the people that we'll do everything we can to stop illegal people from coming into our country," he said.

Bush also said he plans to accept the final BRAC recommendations.

"In order for the process to be nonpolitical, it's very important to make it clear that the decision of BRAC will stand, as far as I am concerned," he said.

Under the Pentagon plan, Texas would gain 6,000 jobs on military facilities during the next six years. But some areas, particularly South Texas, would lose all or part of significant military bases.

Bush, a former Texas governor, said he plans to stay out of the Republican primary for governor next year.

"I held a high position in Texas at one time in my life, and I have made it clear to all parties that I am not going to get involved," Bush said.

He also suggested that he would probably live on his Crawford ranch, where it was 100 degrees Monday, after his presidency.

"No matter how hot it gets," he said, "I enjoy spending time in Texas."

Bush's schedule this week includes a speech Wednesday in Grapevine to the American Legislative Exchange Council. On Thursday, Colombian President Alvaro Uribe is to meet with Bush at the ranch.

Bush spoke with reporters from the San Antonio Express-News, the Houston Chronicle, The Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Austin American-Statesman.