Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush sells ailing immigration plan

President tries to smash political deadlock

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush visited Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Monday to promote his stalled proposal for overhauling the nation's immigration laws.

While presiding over a citizenship ceremony for three soldiers injured in Iraq, Bush urged Congress to break the current stalemate and pass legislation that "must be comprehensive."

The president described the wounded soldiers as "men who knew the cost of freedom and were willing to pay that cost so others could live free."

The new citizens were Spc. Noe Santos-Dilone of Brooklyn, New York; Spc. Sergio Lopez of Bolingbrook, Illinois; and Pfc. Eduardo Leal-Cardenas of Los Angeles. Santos-Dilone was a citizen of the Dominican Republic and the other two were citizens of Mexico.

Santos-Dilone, who stood on crutches while the other two were standing on their own at the ceremony, was injured last September 6 when the convoy in which he was riding was bombed. Lopez was injured when his Humvee was hit by a roadside bomb south of Baghdad last January 6. Leal-Cardenas was injured by a roadside bomb last December 6 while returning to his base from a mission just south of Baghdad.

Bush called it, "a joyful day for these men, a joyful day for me to be here with them...It's a privilege to be their commander in chief."

"This isn't going to be the first time these men have made such a promise. They took a similar oath when they became soldiers of the United States Army. And their presence here bears witness that they kept their word so that others might be free," Bush said.

"As our nation debates the future of our immigration policies, we must remember the contribution of these good men and all who dream of contributing to this country's future," Bush said.

After the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, Bush signed an executive order making foreign-born members of the U.S. military immediately eligible for U.S. citizenship when they serve on active duty.

"It made sense to me: If somebody's willing to risk their lives for our country, they ought to be full participants in our country," Bush said. He noted that more than 33,000 non-U.S. citizens currently serve in the military.

Trying to break the deadlock on immigration legislation, Bush said securing the nation's borders must be the first goal. After that, he said, it must offer a temporary worker program, tougher penalties for employers who hire undocumented workers, resolve the status of the millions of illegal workers now in the country while honoring "the great American tradition of the melting pot."

The Senate earlier in the year passed a bipartisan immigration bill offering a chance at citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants and generally delivering on the goals outlined by Bush.

But the House, which in 2005 passed a far more restrictive bill that would make it a felony to enter the United States illegally, is holding a series of time-consuming hearings on the subject, hearings that have been criticized as a political maneuver to delay the legislation and help Republican candidates in an election year.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/24/ ... index.html

MW
    After the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, Bush signed an executive order making foreign-born members of the U.S. military immediately eligible for U.S. citizenship when they serve on active duty.
    Bush and his executive orders hard at work! The requirement use to be 3 years, and then it went to 1 year. Now, just join and you can become a U.S. citizen. If U.S. citizenship is worth so little (decreasing in value), why are so many people trying to get it?

It is my understanding you don't even have to serve in a combat zone to receive the citizenship.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW, that's pathetic.

Sometimes, when I think of the world that I'm leaving my children and grandchildren, I just want to bawl!!!

A corrupt, self-serving government.
    Illegals trying to take over the county.
    A world whose climate is seriously warming.
    Overpopulation of the planet.

And a current president is is obviously the village idiot.

My God, what's next??

There is no deadlock. That's a lie, a SHAM. They're hard at work on PENCE POISON and Kay Baily Hutchinson has jumped up to help out with the comprehensive no amnesty - AMNESTY.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"must be comprehensive."
    "Of the people by the people and for the people".

I understand what that means but Bush doesn't.

I don't agree with that unlawful executive order either. It also brings people in on family visas. It's circumventing immigration and handing out back door amnesty. It's also knocking other eligible citizens out of the military. The military has quotas too.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CheyenneWoman
    MW, that's pathetic.

Sometimes, when I think of the world that I'm leaving my children and grandchildren, I just want to bawl!!!

A corrupt, self-serving government.
    Illegals trying to take over the county.
    A world whose climate is seriously warming.
    Overpopulation of the planet.
    That's why we gotta keep fighting! As CrocketsGhost said in a different thread, we must keep fighting because we owe it to our forebears and our heirs!
    All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Illegal immigration

It is really a shame that America is tied to these politicans. It appears that their oath was to not support America or Americans. The revised oath must include a statement about giving America away as fast possible over the next three years. While I don't necessary agree with spector, unforunately something needs to be done about bush and Congress and if we open the way to file lawsuits when the their don't enforce bills that is one step. Next we have to figure a way to get Congress to fund the bills that they pass instead of funding earmarks which keeps them in office.

Illegal aliens steal hospital benefits causing increased rates, social benefits which causes Americans to loose them or have to pay more in taxes to pay for them, kill and rape Americans, bring their gangs into America, refuse to speak English, and refuse to support our customs.
    All America's jobs are going overseas, so the jobs that these illegal do are going to be the jobs that are left in America so American citizens will be without jobs.

In another decade America will be a third world country looking for handouts due the actions of this President and Congress.

Welcome Beckyal:

I'm definitely getting old cause I believe an oath is sacred. But, politicians don't seem to have that same sense of committment.

They'll say anything to get where they want to go, and then do what they feel like doing.

Our only recourse is to pay close attention and vote the buggers out of office if they get out of hand.

Illegal immigration

I remember when you had to wait 7 years to become citizens, when did it all change? I remember taking an oath of allegiance when I went into the service and I was proud to do it. Then your word meant something, now when our government promises something to its constituents they all lie and go back on their oaths of allegiance to protect our country. They do not care about the future of this country so why should we care about what happens to them, get rid of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast