Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush signals disdain for Venezuela's Chavez

Saturday, March 10, 2007
    Bush won't mention Chavez by name, but his soft-sell pitch clearly is intended to counter the Venezuelan leader's rising stature.
    By TOM RAUM

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay President Bush claimed progress on trade with Uruguay's president on Saturday, courting another leftist leader on his Latin American tour. "We care about the human condition," Bush said, trying to co-opt the populism of one influential leftist rival he won't meet: Venezuela's firebrand, Hugo Chavez.

In a part of the world where the U.S. invasion of Iraq is particularly unpopular, Bush is not talking much about the global war on terror. And while he won't mention Chavez by name, his soft-sell pitch clearly is intended to counter the Venezuelan leader's rising stature and rants that blame Latin America's poverty on U.S.-style capitalism.

"I would call our diplomacy quiet and effective diplomacy – diplomacy all aimed at helping people, aimed at elevating the human condition, aimed at expressing the great compassion of the American people," Bush said at a joint news conference with Uruguayan President Tabare Vazquez. As he has on other stops, he mentions increases in U.S. aid programs during his presidency.

The two met at the Uruguayan presidential retreat in Anchorena Park, a riverside ranch and national park about 120 miles west of here. Bush traveled by helicopter.

The Bush administration is trying to strike a freer-trade deal with Uruguay. But the efforts are complicated by the country's membership in a rival South American trading bloc.

Uruguay, a tiny coastal nation overshadowed by neighboring Brazil and Argentina, wants to sell more beef and textiles to the United States, its biggest trading partner.

The two discussed U.S. restrictions on Uruguayan imports. Vazquez also said he wanted to expand scientific, technical and cultural exchanges – all to establish "a better standard of living for our people."

Both agreed to talk more.

Said Vazquez, "We have created a plan starting with this meeting" in which trade and agriculture experts from both countries will meet to iron out differences.

Bush said the United States is "fully prepared to reduce agricultural subsidies" but first wants to make sure "there is market access for our products."

Vazquez also pressed for a more liberal immigration policy in the United States. Bush said he would work for a "compassionate and rationale immigration law" that recognizes the United States cannot grant automatic citizenship to undocumented immigrants or "kick people out."

More here to read, i thought these last sentences were interesting.
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/ne ... 615293.php

Bush said he would work for a "compassionate and rationale immigration law" that recognizes the United States cannot grant automatic citizenship to undocumented immigrants or "kick people out."
    You know these guys are only pandering to get their stupid precious votes from turning all illegals into citizens.
    This is not an issue where 'gray area' can be in place.
    IMO, this is strictly a right and wrong issue.
    Anything which allows illegals who broke the law to 'earn' 'work' 'pay tribute' or any other catch phrase which earns them an easy citizenship IS amnesty. Plain and simple.
    Should we all start repealing the law which makes robbing banks illegal simply because 'WE ALL NEED THE MONEY TO SUPPORT OUR FAMILIES'?
    I think if an American tried that, they'd be locked up in a looney bin with a nice rubber house.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

April
    Sippy wrote:

IMO, this is strictly a right and wrong issue.
    Anything which allows illegals who broke the law to 'earn' 'work' 'pay tribute' or any other catch phrase which earns them an easy citizenship IS amnesty. Plain and simple.
    Should we all start repealing the law which makes robbing banks illegal simply because 'WE ALL NEED THE MONEY TO SUPPORT OUR FAMILIES'?
    I think if an American tried that, they'd be locked up in a looney bin with a nice rubber house.
    Well said!

Would that be similar DISDAIN that many Americans have for bush?

Isn't that a bit of irony.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He has a terrible dilemma to deal with trying to keep these countries from falling into the hands of Chavez, Castro and others. But I disagree with his way of going about it. Big time disagree!!

He should set a better example for these leaders and empower them with the knowledge and idea that no president should ever give in to crime, which is what President Bush is doing when he gives in to illegal immigration.

This pandering, this giving in to crime, is making our entire "neighborhood" more vulnerable.

Yes, this is a hard thing for an American president with the really terrible forces trying to make their way into our hemisphere.....and it already has far more than we should be comfortable with.

I sure don't have the answers and I sure understand that he views these dangers in our neighborhood as extremely threatening and dangerous to us. In some ways, I believe that some of his motivations are true and sincere in being in the best interest of our country.....in the long run....but gosh there has to be a better way than for us to have a president who will bow down to those who choose to think that breaking laws is an option!!

To be weak, to give in to crime and to out right authorize his approval for people and countries to ignore and disobey our laws is in my opinion a real sell out of American principles and values.

I do not have the answers. What are they?? We must deal with the problems existing in "our neighborhood", which will eventually threaten our country in a terrible way if ignored, but what is the answer?

Does anyone know or think that they have the answers? If so please come forward!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I'm no expert on the political situations of the world, but it seems to me that one of the worst things for our country and for "our neighborhood" has been Cuba and Castro's regime.

My question is this. When the Soviet Union supposedly changed course, wouldn't it have been possible for us to have done something about Cuba? Yes, I mean like to have invaded it and taken Castro's regime out.

Maybe I have my ideas and connections wrong, but I just think that leaving Cuba to remain under communism is one of the biggest reasons why "our neighborhood" is becoming more dangerous.

Yes SIS I believe thats the same distain!!
    Bush is over there lieing his ass off promising large amounts of money to those countrys that we don't have, HELLLOOO!!! Bush, what part of we are a Nation Broken and a Broken Nation, do you still not understand, you have spent every penny and then some of American taxpayers money and our children and our childrens childrens money.

We are a Nation Broken, thanks to you and our congress that just sits back everyday and watches the invasion.

I have a good Idea, stay in south America with your new friends!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)