Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush Wants In-State Tuition For Illegal Immigrants' Kids

Gov. Jeb Bush said it's not fair to punish the children of illegal immigrants if they're trying to build a better life through education.

The governor supports a controversial bill that would let illegal immigrants' children pay in-state college tuition rates, but the bill still faces an uphill battle in the current political climate, WESH 2 News reported.

Florida requires children of illegal immigrants to pay out-of-state tuition rates at colleges and universities. That means a college education would cost at least $60,000 more for the son or daughter of an undocumented worker.

Bush said that's not fair to teens who've worked hard in school and whose families have otherwise tried to follow the rules.

"My point of view is: if you've been in this state for many years, you're valedictorian of your high school, that, and your parents have paid taxes and you maybe have been working and paid taxes, you're an in-state resident," Bush said.

The governor supports a bill that would grant in-state tuition waivers to at least 500 children of illegal immigrants. The legislation could cost the state more than $6 million a year if all the slots were filled.

Opponents argue that?s a lot of money to give to people who broke the law.

State Sen. Jim Sebesta, R-St. Petersburg, voted against the bill in committee last week. He said he understands that many people believe it's not fair to punish the kids for the parents' mistakes, but he said he can't see giving those parents a break on tuition.

"People who break the law should not be, in this case, given tax breaks. That just doesn't make any sense to me," Sebesta said.

Even supporters admit making it cheaper for illegal immigrants when many legal residents have trouble paying for college will be a hard sell this year.

The House version of the bill passed its final committee and is poised for a vote on the House floor. But its chances are much slimmer in the Senate, where a similar measure was shot down last week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wesh/20060424/lo_wesh/3421225
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Who said Lifes fair. Who's to say these kids parents make enough money to even pay for college and that this isn't and IN for GOVERNMENT GRANTS!!! Has there been any mention of that?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't see how the good folks in Florida are able to put up with two bushes-governor and president.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

If they are citizens then fine. I don't like the gauranteed citizenship to those born here, but it is the law and until it is changes I will treat it as such. I understand it's purpose in regards to slavery.

I am all about doing things by the rule of law. What urks me is that the enforcement of law is so friggin' one sided. I fear they are going to pass these laws and only enforce the ones that give the freebies.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>

Quote Originally Posted by ArticleIV
    If they are citizens then fine. I don't like the gauranteed citizenship to those born here, but it is the law and until it is changes I will treat it as such. I understand it's purpose in regards to slavery.
    I think this bush is a little confused too.

Children of illegals born here are citizens (for now at least) and already guaranteed in-state tuition in their home states.

It is the amount of taxes versus the amount of benefits which is important not whether the illegal aliens are paying taxes. American immigration policy tries reducing the number of people who would be creating net losses. Violators are likely to be people who fall under the characteristic. If the American middle class is to pay for the education of any poorer people it should be our own not
    those who choose to violate our laws.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jeb Bush
    My point of view is: if you've been in this state for many years, you're valedictorian of your high school, that, and your parents have paid taxes and you maybe have been working and paid taxes, you're an in-state resident," Bush said.
    So, in order to be a resident of Florida you have to have been Valedictorian of your high school.

Hmmm. That's going to make a lot of residents of Florida who will have to pay out of state tuition.
    had_enuf
    I think this bush is a little confused too.
    This confusion problem must run in the family, had_enuf.

My point of view is: if you've been in this state for many years, you're valedictorian of your high school, that, and your parents have paid taxes and you maybe have been working and paid taxes, you're an in-state resident," Bush said.
    And here I thought only the Florida Supreme Court was allowed to make up laws on the fly.

May as well close the legislature to save some bucks for those tuition breaks for illegals.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Did you know the school system in Florida is like the 49th or 50th best school system in the in the country ?

Excuse me, Mr. Governor, Brother of the President, Son of the other President Bush:

You are certainly generous with something you don't even have.......a good education system.

If I had the time and complete facts I would now also bring up the FCAT (Achievement Tests) which Florida students have to take and the educational software Jeb's brother, Neal Bush 's company produces only for a couple of states. One is Florida and I'm not sure, but I think the other one might be Texas. If you come across that news article it is very strange and unusual. It wouldn't win them any points in the polls, that's for sure.

had_enuf
    I don't see how the good folks in Florida are able to put up with two bushes-governor and president.
    Your sympathy is extremely appreciated.

P.S. We love hearing Jeb speak Spanish on TV. It warms our hearts to know that he is such a strong believer in assimilation and the importance of people learning to speak English.
    We're very proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast