Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush's 'callous disregard'

Bush's 'callous disregard'

By Dimitri Vassilaros
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, January 22, 2007

Congressman Dana Rohrabacher makes the Dixie Chicks sound like bosom buddies of President George W. Bush.
    Politics being politics, it's easy to dismiss the antipathy liberals have for Mr. Bush. But Bush has lost the support -- and even the respect -- of Mr. Rohrabacher. The California Republican is serving his ninth term and has a lifetime score of 95 from the American Conservative Union. He also has had it with a commander in chief who prefers surrender to being the defender of America's defenseless border with Mexico.

Rohrabacher said the minute two unjustly convicted men who had been Border Patrol agents turned themselves in to start their sentences last week was when he decided he'd no longer hold back any honest comment anymore.

"The nastiness in his personality had been in check until now," he says about President Bush. "Exposing it to the public is pretty disgusting. He has a callous disregard for those who place their lives on the line for us."

He's referring to the surreal plight of Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean. They were Border Patrol agents until being convicted in federal court for essentially doing their jobs. Each faces more than a decade in prison. Their own government granted immunity in exchange for testimony to a Mexican drug runner who had a van with more than 700 pounds of marijuana when they confronted him in America. One agent shot him in the butt.

Rohrabacher says that for months he's been trying to speak to Bush or a senior adviser but only underlings "way down on the totem pole" returned his calls.

And when they do, they tell him the two received a fair trial and offer Rohrabacher statements by the U.S. attorney general and the federal prosecutor saying so.

"No one in the White House is a firm believer of defending America's borders," he says. "It's a monstrous betrayal, as it has been for the last six years. (Bush) has a hidden agenda that is not accepted by the people. He is trying to implement an open-border policy without debate. We will find out in the future that part of his game plan was to make it a fait accompli."

The recent presidential pardons of convicted drug dealers -- but not of Ramos and Compean -- indicate something is totally wrong at the White House, he says.

Rohrabacher says cruelty and arrogance are part of Bush's personality because just one call to the judge would have allowed the two to remain free pending their appeals. "In the meantime, they will spend (at least) a couple of years in jail," he says.

President Bush told KFOX-TV on Thursday that he might pardon them. The self-proclaimed compassionate conservative told the station, "There's a process for pardons. It's got to work its way through a system here in the government. I just want people to take a sober look at the case. People need to take a tough look at the facts, the evidence a jury looked at, as well as (the) judge. And I will do the same thing."

Someone a bit less callous and nasty already would have done that to spare these men and their families the anguish. How long did it take to grant immunity to the illegal who was shot?

Perhaps the president is hesitant to pardon for fear of offending that Mexican drug dealer and untold others who would rather be confronted in America by anyone other than Ramos or Compean.

Dimitri Vassilaros is a Trib editorial page columnist. His column appears Sundays, Mondays and Fridays. Call him at 412-380-5637. E-mail him at dvassilaros@tribweb.com.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89416.html

President Bush told KFOX-TV on Thursday that he might pardon them.
    The compassionate conservative and 'decider' might do it.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Who does respect this president anymore? Very sad days for this country. Just hope we survive.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"The nastiness in his personality had been in check until now," he says about President Bush. "Exposing it to the public is pretty disgusting. He has a callous disregard for those who place their lives on the line for us."
    I don't think it's been in check. He has shown the citizens of the U.S. unbelievable disrespect and callous disregard for six years by not only ignoring our border security, at a time of war, no less, but by working in conjunction with a foreign government (Mexico) to do something which the majority of Americans are strongly against and all while deceiving us when he said he was "against amnesty". He doesn't even bother with that line anymore.

I'm really fed up with this weasel in the White House !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jean's
    Who does respect this president anymore? Very sad days for this country. Just hope we survive.

April
    "No one in the White House is a firm believer of defending America's borders," he says. "It's a monstrous betrayal, as it has been for the last six years. (Bush) has a hidden agenda that is not accepted by the people. He is trying to implement an open-border policy without debate. We will find out in the future that part of his game plan was to make it a fait accompli."
    Good to see that he is not fooled.

JEAN, love that line by Einstein, its almost like he could see into the future and wrote it about for Bush.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    JEAN, love that line by Einstein, its almost like he could see into the future and wrote it about for Bush.
    Thank you sosad!
    Bush is the evil and those who do nothing I feel are those in our country who are apathetic. Wonder what Einstein would say today of the state we're in? Hard to find great men anymore.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Do you suppose it's possible that the President has been pressured by Hispanic supporting organizations to let these two Border Patrol Agents go to jail because they're Hispanic and therefore would be considered traitors to the open borders cause?
    Is this an attempt to send a signal to other Hispanics?

April
    At this point I think anything is possible.....and we will probably never know because we are all supposed to be left in the dark to wonder.... I am so fed up at this point that it does'nt matter to me why the president is doing his corrupt activity anymore. I am focused on how to make a change so he isnt allowed to do it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast