Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

1. Photo needs to be added to E-Verify system. This would prevent most ID theft cases.

2. Congress needs to pass law to compel social security admin. and IRS to share databases. Now IRS just wants to collect taxes.
    When the same soc. sec. number is used by multiple people at the same time in different states, IRS knows this (!), but they don't notify soc. sec. or ICE or the real owner! And the real owner gets hit with huge tax bill!

3. Also, ITIN needs to be abolished or started anew, with all fraudulent ID's thrown out.

4. Matricula Consular card has to be de-certified as positive ID. FBI testified during Patriot Act hearings not to allow it. Congress ignored FBI and thus Patriot Act doesn't mention Matricula, thereby allowing banks like B of A, Wells Fargo, etc., to accept it and say they comply with Patriot Act.

If feds can't make their computer systems do this, I bet FedEx and UPS could get 'er done!!

Personal experience: I was in LA for a month renting a room, had to cash a check from landlord for $35, went to landlord's B of A branch, showed my non-Calif. driver's license photo ID and other credit cards and other ID, but because I didn't have my own B of A checking account, I was forced to get fingerprinted to cash the check!

If I had been an illegal alien, I could have had my own B of A checking account and avoided getting fingerprinted!!

Only in "open borders" America!!

I can agree that E Verify is not perfect. But, for now, it's the best we've got and it's not so bad.

The biggest concern I see are the stolen identities although it's obvious that the Feds DO have some kind of database concerning this because that's how they identified the 8 charged with aggravated identity theft. And, quite frankly, I find that something of a comfort, our family victimized by an identity theft ourselves.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

About 475 workers were sent to a detention center in Jena, La., for deportation; 106 were released for humanitarian reasons to tend to a child or a medical condition pending court appearances; nine were juveniles transferred to a refugee resettlement agency, and eight face charges of criminal identity theft.
    ONLY 8 FACE CHARGES OF IDENTITY THEFT?! I find that hard to believe. How can they work LEGALLY without a valid SOCIAL SECURITY #?

In its only comment on the raid, Howard Industries released a statement saying: "Howard Industries runs every check allowed to ascertain the immigration status of all applicants for jobs. It is company policy that it hires only U.S. citizens and legal immigrants."
    Bull Crap! Then why were almost 1/4 of their employees arrested for being illegal immigrants.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Those eight probably had the physical evidence on their person.

The others are using fraud id's that just have not been charged, I bet.

ICE is probably checking them all: by numbers, name, and on and on.

What a MESS?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56
    Those eight probably had the physical evidence on their person.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmonkey56

The others are using fraud id's that just have not been charged, I bet.

ICE is probably checking them all: by numbers, name, and on and on.

What a MESS?

According to reports, the feds were checking names of employees on file against a list of stolen identities they maintain, and these people were found to be using 8 of the stolen identities on that list.

This is also, from what I read, why many others could still be possibly charged with identity theft who have not yet been so charged.

It's got to be a pretty big job to tackle and ICE is going to be very thorough. They want charges which will stick.

However, a key weakness in E-Verify is that while it can determine whether a Social Security number presented by a worker is valid, it often cannot determine whether the number belongs to the applicant. Many workers try to evade detection by using another person's identification.
    Ooops, big flaw in system.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    However, a key weakness in E-Verify is that while it can determine whether a Social Security number presented by a worker is valid, it often cannot determine whether the number belongs to the applicant. Many workers try to evade detection by using another person's identification.

I agree with you JP. The good news is that the Feds are now evidently keeping a database of identities reported stolen which they are using. Perhaps in the future those stolen identity flags will be made available to employers through E Verify as well which would, certainly, make the program much more effective. It would also make it much more difficult for employers to claim they didn't :know" they had hired illegals.

But, unless there is some type of biometric identification system put into place, there is never really going to be any way to solidly prevent identity theft.

And we all know what happens the second biometric identifiers are even mentioned. People lose their minds about the government tracking our every move.

So what, then, is the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504

I agree with you JP. The good news is that the Feds are now evidently keeping a database of identities reported stolen which they are using. Perhaps in the future those stolen identity flags will be made available to employers through E Verify as well which would, certainly, make the program much more effective. It would also make it much more difficult for employers to claim they didn't :know" they had hired illegals.

But, unless there is some type of biometric identification system put into place, there is never really going to be any way to solidly prevent identity theft.

And we all know what happens the second biometric identifiers are even mentioned. People lose their minds about the government tracking our every move.

So what, then, is the solution?
    GIVE PEOPLE A CHOICE. I WOULD NOT MIND LINKING MY FINGERPRINT AND PHOTO WITH MY SS# IN E-VERIFY. I FEEL THIS WOULD PROTECT ME FROM ID THEFT.

MAYBE EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL NOT WANT TO DO THIS. BUT MANY PEOPLE MIGHT FEEL IT IS A SAFETY BENEFIT. AT LEAST IT WOULD CUT DOWN ON ID THEFT.

IF IT IS NOT MANDATORY, MANY PEOPLE WILL DO IT WHO WOULD OTHERWISE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. THEN THE POOL OF "AT RISK" SS#'s IS MUCH SMALLER. THIS MAKES ICE's JOB A BIT LESS CUMBERSOME.

WHY SHOULD THOSE OF US WHO WOULD LIKE TO PROTECT OUR ID BE PREVENTED FROM DOING SO JUST BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE DONT WANT TO?

AND DOING SO NOT ONLY PROTECTS YOUR OWN ID, IT HELPS TO PREVENT ILLEGALS FROM WORKING ILLEGALLY.

I WOULD BET ALMOST ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT IF THIS WAS VOLUNTARY AND NOT MANDATORY, THAT MOST, IF NOT ALL WORKERS WOULD OPT TO DO THIS.

I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE FBI FOLLOWING ME AROUND IN DARK COLORED CARS WITH TINTED WINDOWS....LOL.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING....PEOPLE WHO WORRY ABOUT BEING "TRACKED" ARE VERY NAIVE. THE FBI ALREADY HAS THIS CAPABILITY IF THEY WANT TO USE IT. THEY KNOW WHERE WE ARE...WHO WE ARE....WHAT WE LOOK LIKE. ARENT PHOTOS ON DRIVERS LICENSES? SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

MAKE IT VOLUNTARY. LET CITIZENS DECIDE IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES BY FREELY DECIDING TO USE THE OPTION TO ATTACH THEIR PHOTO AND FINGERPRINT....OR ONE OR THE OTHER....TO THEIR SS#. YOU WOULD SEE THAT MOST WOULD JUMP ON THE WAGON.

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING ELSE TO MAKE E-VERIFY SAFER.

THE EMPLOYER CANT JUST ENTER AN SS# AND GET A REPLY. THEY HAVE TO ENTER THE NUMBER, A NAME, AND BASIC DESCRIPTION....LIKE EYE COLOR AND AGE.

THEY JUST GET BACK "MATCH" OR "NO MATCH". THIS WOULD PREVENT THEM FROM JUST ENTERING NUMBERS TILL THEY FIND A VALID NUMBER.

OMG....OR....WORKERS COULD BE ALLOWED TO ATTACH A PASSWORD TO THEIR SS#. AND THERE COULD BE MANY OPTIONS. SOME PEOPLE MIGHT WANT TO ATTACH A DESCRIPTION....SOME A PASSWORD.

UNSCRUPULOUS EMPLOYERS WOULD HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT THE "ATTACHMENT" IS. WHEN THE REAL OWNER OF THE SS# APPLIES FOR A JOB THEY KNOW WHAT INFORMATION WILL BRING UP THEIR FILE. OTHERS WILL NOT KNOW.

ANYWAY THESE ARE JUST IDEAS. THERE WOULD STILL BE THE PROBLEM OF DISHONEST EMPLOYERS USING PAST EMPLOYEES NUMBERS.

MAYBE THERE COULD BE A WAY FOR WORKERS TO ENTER THEIR OWN FILE TO ENTER THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER EMPOYED AT A PARTICULAR PLACE.

MAYBE THEY CAN EVEN BE ABLE TO CHECK THEIR OWN FILE TO MAKE SURE THEIR SS# IS NOT BEING CHECKED BY EMPLOYERS WHERE THEY HAVE NEVER APPLIED FOR A JOB....OR WHERE THEY HAVE QUIT THE JOB.

MAKE IT INTERACTIVE?

redpony353:

Yes, so excellent this idea; right on target - bull's eye!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12