Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

CA-Chief takes sides on sanctuary law

Chief takes sides on sanctuary law
    Heather Knight

Sunday, October 25, 2009

New Police Chief George Gascón agrees with Mayor Gavin Newsom that the Board of Supervisors' legislation changing San Francisco's sanctuary city policy must be ignored by law enforcement officers.

Last week, the board voted 8-2 to require that undocumented youths picked up on felony charges be turned over to federal authorities only after they're convicted - not when they're first arrested. Newsom, who doesn't have the votes to sustain a veto, says he's not abiding by the legislation because it breaks federal law.

The probation officers' union promptly joined Newsom in saying they too will ignore it. And now Gascón is onboard the eight-votes-be-damned bandwagon.

"I don't think the mayor has a choice," he told us. "Federal law is really clear on this issue. I think this is really unfortunate that it's gotten to where it has."

He pointed out the legislation wouldn't really affect his officers anyway. They make the arrests and bring the youths to juvenile hall, but it's the probation officers who determine whether to call U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Let me understand this. It matters not what the elected representatives of the populace decide, it matters more what the mayor thinks and what another councilman thinks when the vote was 8-2?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Let me understand this. It matters not what the elected representatives of the populace decide, it matters more what the mayor thinks and what another councilman thinks when the vote was 8-2?
    So much for majority rule, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticMe
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    So much for majority rule, huh?
    The majority ruled wrongly in this instance.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)