Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

CA-County facing growing poverty, erosion of middle class

L.A. County facing growing poverty, erosion of middle class, United Way report says
    February 9, 2010 | 9:57 am

Los Angeles County faces a poverty crisis and an erosion of the middle class that could worsen under the current economic downturn, according to a report by the United Way.

The county's poverty rate is now higher than the rest of the nation's, according to the report, which surveyed the county's economic situation in 2009. More than 1.47 million people, or 15% of the county's population, live on an income of $22,000 a year for a family of four, the report says. The national average is 13%.

The full report will be available Tuesday at 3 p.m. at the United Way of Greater Los Angeles' website.

Nearly four in 10 people in L.A. County suffer from extreme poverty, the report says; those people live on less than $5,400 a year for a single person or about $11,000 for a family of four.

The jobless rate had soared to 12.3% by early 2009, wiping out all job growth from the previous decade, the report states. Wages remained stagnant and did not keep up with housing costs.

The middle class also felt the pinch, the report says. Only 1% of salaried workers saw significant income growth, while the average worker’s pay fell nearly $2 an hour.
    The United Way survey also said the ranks of the working poor swelled in 2009. Defined as families of four making less than $44,000 a year, that group in Los Angeles County is now 7.5% greater than the national average.

“One of the things that keeps me optimistic in this downturn is that it has created a sense of urgency for us to accelerate in the areas that need improvement,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And LA has a 9.750 sales tax too.
    http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates.cgi ... &LIST=CITY
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

DJ
    And yet, California continues to tax businesses right out of the state! Gee. You have to wonder why they don't get the connection. More and more social services required. More taxpayers leaving the state in disgust. Does it take a brain surgeon to get it? Get more business friendly and tighten up the welfare handouts. Too logical, I guess.

L.A. county has turned into another 3rd world country, no different than Mexico and exactly what is going to happen to the rest of the country if changes are not made.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Re: CA-County facing growing poverty, erosion of middle clas

L.A. County facing growing poverty, erosion of middle class, United Way report says
    February 9, 2010 | 9:57 am

-- Ching-Ching Ni

I believe Ching Ching Ni is a Chinese immigrant. There wouldn't be any correlation between this story and the writer, would there?

Such as too many immigrants like her causing this problem?

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is a comment posted under the story you should read:
    ---

As an immigrant who used to prepare amnesty and other immigration aqpplications, I wish to remind leaders in California and other parts of the United States the following hard facts: Although some immigrants are great assets, we cannot substantially reduce unemployment, budget deficits or healthcare costs if we continue to add 3 million a year to the U.S., mostly due to immigrants and their U.S.-born children, who need jobs, healthcare, education and numerous other social services.

Indeed, every year, the U.S. absorbs one million legal immigrants, at least 0.5 million of illegal migrants, in addition to hundreds of thousands of professional and low-skilled "guest workers". And California is the largest immigrant-receiving state and L.A. county has skyrocketing numbers of foreign-born, legal and illegal. Most of these newcomers and their U.S.-born children will be jobseekers and most are not likely to pay enough taxes to offset the cost of providing social services to their families. The same is true for most Americans whose ancestors have been in the U.S. for over a century. Unemployment affects natives and immigrants alike.

Decades ago, China already understood the urgent need to control population growth and immigration. The Chinese leaders also clearly stated in 2007 that population control is necessary to fight global warming. When will other leaders learn from the Chinese? Since we are now the greatest debtor nation in the world history, instead of piling up never-ending debt on our children's shoulders, why not urge President Obama and Congress to enact some sort of immigration moratorium and seriously work on reducing teen pregnancies totaling 750,000 a year nationwide?

Yeh Ling-Ling
    Alliance for a Sustainable USA

Posted by: YEH Ling-Ling | February 09, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Found this interesting article on Yeh Ling-Ling from Wash Post from way back: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02014.html
    Even though Yeh is an immigrant, she also sees that increasing population is not a sustainable future.

Banned

The future of America

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    L.A. county has turned into another 3rd world country, no different than Mexico and exactly what is going to happen to the rest of the country if changes are not made.
    You are exactly correct. I just got back from a meeting In downtown Los Angeles,and a lot of the streets look just like Tijuana Mexico. Graffiti,and trash everywhere,80% Hispanic,15% Asian 5% white where we were staying! This Is the future of America unless something drastic Is done very quickly...

JOBS OUT (Free Trade Treason) + PEOPLE IN (Illegal Immigration) = Bankrupt Nation.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: The future of America

Quote Originally Posted by topsecret10
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    You are exactly correct. I just got back from a meeting In downtown Los Angeles,and a lot of the streets look just like Tijuana Mexico. Graffiti,and trash everywhere,80% Hispanic,15% Asian 5% white where we were staying! This Is the future of America unless something drastic Is done very quickly...
    You're exactly right topsecret10. In fact, if I ever get the desire (unlikely) to take a trip to mexico, I simply get in my car and drive 30 miles north to downtown Los Angeles. If I'm pressed for time, I can simply drive to Santa Ana ( depending how brave I'm feeling) which is approx 10 miles to the east from me.

No need for expensive airline tickets, hotel reservations, rental cars, etc.
    Lucky me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast