Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA Governor proposes deeper health and welfare cuts

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/938767.html

Governor proposes deeper health and welfare cuts

In releasing his revised budget Wednesday, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed deeper cuts to health care and welfare programs for the poor even as his administration calculated that the projected demand for government assistance is growing.

The Republican governor proposed $627 million more in cuts to health and human services, making it harder for poor families to qualify for welfare and health coverage.

"I know this is going to be very difficult ... this is why I had a hard time to make those cuts," Schwarzenegger said. "But the absolute bottom line is we cannot spend money that we do not have."

Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, D-Oakland, call the plan "a budget beneath a governor of this great state."

"It's telling our citizens: This is it. Our best years are behind us," said in a statement. "Under this plan, schools will lay off teachers and increase class sizes, and we will abandon children and the elderly. It's shameful."

Under the state's health care program for the poor, known as Medi-Cal, the governor proposes saving $42 million by requiring undocumented immigrants to meet a monthly eligibility requirement for emergency services.

Newly qualified immigrants and some permanent resident immigrants would see their benefits cut to the same level as undocumented immigrants, limiting care to emergency services, pregnancy-related services, long-term care in a nursing facility and breast and cervical cancer treatment. The move would save the state an estimated $86.7 million a year.

The governor also proposes limiting Medi-Cal eligibility to families earning 61 percent of the federal poverty level in which the principal wage earner works less than 100 hours a month.

Under Schwarzenegger's plan, supplemental income for seniors and the disabled would neither receive a cost-of-living increase from the federal government or the state. Currently the state serves roughly 1.3 million seniors, blind and disabled under this type of Social Security program.

Rather than passing scheduled increased federal assistance to the Social Security Income/State Supplemental Payment program, the state will absorb the savings.

Families receiving welfare assistance under the CalWORKS program also would not receive cost-of-living raises under the governor's proposal.

The governor and Legislature have already approved a 10 percent cut to pay doctors, hospitals and health care providers for taking care of the poor. Advocates have filed suit seeking to block the cuts from being implemented in July.

The governor took the opportunity to press for health care reform. According to the administration's report, "Without comprehensive health care reform that infuses the health care system with additional, stable sources of funding, these services will unfortunately continue to be significantly impacted by California's broken and volatile budget system."

Newly qualified immigrants and some permanent resident immigrants would see their benefits cut to the same level as undocumented immigrants, limiting care to emergency services, pregnancy-related services, long-term care in a nursing facility and breast and cervical cancer treatment. The move would save the state an estimated $86.7 million a year.
    Why are illegals receiving any pregnancy-related services. These people do not need any incentive nor help in having more babies. If they want to have babies, then let them pay for it out of their own pockets!

Since when is having an unlimited number of babies considered to be an emergency service!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Under the state's health care program for the poor, known as Medi-Cal, the governor proposes saving $42 million by requiring undocumented immigrants to meet a monthly eligibility requirement for emergency services.
    WHAT??? I thought the Governator said he didn't believe illegal aliens were the cause of the deficit? GOTCHA, GOV!!
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Right from the horses mouth:

Just think if they cut all care from illegals like our Ms Puente who had four liver transplants.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think I can save the governor some time and even more money.

Illegal invader = Ineligible for Medi-Cal

Am I missing something here? I don't really see where these prposed cuts are going to make that much of a difference in getting to the root cause of the problem which is IAs.

As I say, it's possible that I'm missing it, but would someone please show me where illegals are going to be impacted by this in any meaningful way because the way I'm reading it, they may see some minor difference but other than that it will be pretty much business as usual for them.

Quote Originally Posted by azwreath
    Am I missing something here? I don't really see where these prposed cuts are going to make that much of a difference in getting to the root cause of the problem which is IAs.

As I say, it's possible that I'm missing it, but would someone please show me where illegals are going to be impacted by this in any meaningful way because the way I'm reading it, they may see some minor difference but other than that it will be pretty much business as usual for them.
    Yep, your right azwreath. Apparently, illegals are still going to receive their medical care at the expense of everyone else. It would be meaningful If illegals were deemed ineligible for any Medi-Cal benefits.

That would be meaningful!

Until they get serious about requiring the person who is filing for medical or welfare for their children to show proof of residency and a ssn as in having to be a citizen or legal resident in order to have any benefits the state pays for nothing will change. Imagine if they required the persons asking for welfare or medical to be here legally in the country in order for their kids to be eligible, imagine how many billions americans would save each and every year.

Perata said:
    "It's telling our citizens: This is it. Our best years are behind us,"
    That's the truth unfortunately. And it's our so-called leaders fault.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Newly qualified immigrants and some permanent resident immigrants would see their benefits cut to the same level as undocumented immigrants.
    So LEGAL immigrants will suffer the same consequences as ILLEGAL aliens. How unfair! So much for obeying the law. Take note people, very soon citizens will also be in same boat with all the law breakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast