Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA-Mayor wants Costa Mesa to be a 'Rule of Law City'

Mayor Wants Costa Mesa to be a 'Rule of Law City'

BY ELLYN PAK
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
    MAY 17, 2010

COSTA MESA – Costa Mesa Mayor Allan Mansoor wants the public to know his city does not harbor illegal immigrants by officially declaring it a "Rule of Law City."

Mansoor, known for his staunch stance on illegal immigration, will ask his fellow council members Tuesday to adopt a strict resolution declaring Costa Mesa as a city that does not welcome any illegal immigration.

"It's going to be a resolution stating that Costa Mesa is not a sanctuary city and it is in fact a rule-of-law city when it comes to upholding our immigration laws," Mansoor said.

"There are several cities that have stated they are sanctuary cities and I think that's very unfortunate.

Americans shouldn't be afraid to state that we believe that upholding our immigration laws is the right thing to do. We have absolute complete respect for legal immigration."

The mayor propelled himself and the city into the forefront of the illegal immigration debate in 2005 when he proposed allowing the city's police officers to enforce federal immigration laws on a local level.

Ultimately, a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent was placed at the city jail to check immigration statuses.

The resolution will set the tone for discussions on cracking down on illegal immigration in the city, Mansoor said. Mansoor, who is running for state assembly, said that Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law didn't play a part in his proposal and that action in his city is long overdue.

During a press conference in April, Mansoor announced that he sought more stringent policies, from requiring all Costa Mesa businesses to verify workers' immigration statuses to allowing all police officers to check legal status and valid identification of unlicensed drivers, especially when ICE agents are not present at the jail.

Last year, there were 2,000 incidents related to unlicensed drivers; 1,838 citations were issued and 121 people were arrested, Mansoor said.

Of those 121 arrested, 72 were detained by ICE.

Mansoor questioned why the legal statuses of those getting police citations were not verified.

The anti-illegal immigration debate remain ferocious in Orange County, where many of its cities have worked in past years to move day laborers off their streets and impose more stringent policies against all illegal immigrants.

Local activists have fought back with lawsuits and threats of litigation alleging violation of basic civil rights.

Earlier this month, Santa Ana officials publicly condemned Arizona's law, calling it unconstitutional and encouraging discrimination.

"I want to bring something forward in the next couple of months to start looking at some new policies," Mansoor said.

"No doubt, we're busy with a lot of things. I'm trying to approach it in a manner that's not going to overburden anyone. I've done a lot of research on my own. And I'm going to bring it forward in a manner that's doable."

Contact the writer: 714-796-7956 or epak@ocregister.com

http://www.ocregister.com/news/immigrat ... nsoor.html

More cities need to take a stand
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

"It's going to be a resolution stating that Costa Mesa is not a sanctuary city and it is in fact a rule-of-law city when it comes to upholding our immigration laws," Mansoor said.

"There are several cities that have stated they are sanctuary cities and I think that's very unfortunate.
    Thanks Mayor Mansoor. Your law and order (as well as common sense) approach to this invasion is certainly needed and welcomed in this part of the county.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Santa Ana is their neighbor, and is infested with illegals.

Someone call in Ortho
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

When this passes, phone calls and emails to the mayor are needed by everyone

God bless that mayor. Everyone should email him thanks and donate $24.99 to his re-election or any political office campaign.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Thank you Mayor Monsoor! Bless you! All cities and states need to pass the AZ immigration bill and declare themselves "Rule of Law Cities" "Rule of Law States"!

Great idea! They can put it on their population signs on all roads entering their city and provide both legal notice and warning to all illegal aliens before they trespass.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Absolutely 100% correct Judy. Rule of Law should be a no brainer. Foolish politicians -- we require rule of law. Time for a change we can believe in I say -- out will all illegal lover politicians -- early retirement time from now through November 2012...and then offshore them all
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB
    Absolutely 100% correct Judy. Rule of Law should be a no brainer. Foolish politicians -- we require rule of law. Almost makes one want to bring back the guillotine and have ourselves an American Bastille Day ...
    It truly does, and I'm not a violent person!!

And you know this is where these open borders free trade globalists have totally underestimated the American People. They don't understand we'll risk everything and do anything to save our country from what they're trying to do. They don't understand that because they aren't and never were part of US.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Added to Homepage
    With Amended Title:

CA: Costa Mesa Mayor Wants City to be "Rule of Law City"

http://www.alipac.us/article-5268--0-0.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast