Racism charges lead to walkout
Charlotte Hsu, Staff Writer
Article Launched: 04/19/2007 12:00:00 AM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO - Strife over the importance of bilingual education in a mostly Latino district has undermined civility in school board affairs.
It reached a crescendo Tuesday when a county school board member denounced a San Bernardino City Unified school board member's father as a bigot and a racist dog.

The insults lobbed by activist Gil Navarro at Tuesday night's San Bernardino school board meeting prompted two board members, Judi Penman and Louise Ayala, to leave in a rage.

Disagreements over bilingual education and support for Latino groups have roiled the district for weeks.

Ruben Lopez, Ayala's father and target of Navarro's comments, spoke against bilingual education earlier in the meeting. Navarro, known for his fiery activism, was elected last year to the county board of education after about 10 failed runs for public office.

Taking the microphone at Tuesday's meeting, Navarro introduced himself as an education advocate and said, "I'm also a Navy veteran. And I gave the oath to my country to lay down my life against bigots and racist dogs like Ruben Lopez."

Navarro said after the meeting that he believes Lopez is racist because of his views and his friendship with Joseph

Turner, a vociferous anti-illegal immigration activist who says he dislikes illegal immigration - not Latinos.
"I am completely aware that members of the public have a right to criticize their elected officials," Penman said. "And I know we are vulnerable to attacks from any individual, and legally there's nothing we can do about that."

But she added, "Gil was not just being dramatic tonight. He was downright mean towards Louise and her father."

Tom Rabone, president of the county school board, said Wednesday that though he didn't feel it was appropriate to call people names in public, Navarro has the right to freedom of speech. He noted that Navarro did not present himself as an elected official and was not speaking for the county board.

Tuesday's clash showcased tensions that have heightened in recent weeks.

Board members including Elsa Valdez and Teresa Parra championed bilingual education at the last two meetings, with Parra repeating that two-thirds of district students are Latino.

Parra said she invited bilingual education supporters to monitor board actions at meetings. She and Valdez earned loud cheers at an April 3 meeting for backing Latino-focused groups such as the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials Educational Fund, which lists immigration reform as a priority.

Parra noted that the district gives parents a choice between bilingual education and English immersion.

She said that though Ayala and Penman had the right to leave, "I don't choose to run when people chastise me."

"I've been called out when I've disagreed with some people before, and they've been downright nasty," Parra said. "But I've always believed that's their political right. That's the democratic process."

Ayala, who opposes bilingual education and illegal immigration, has been attacked for her views.

She has said board members should not use school money to attend conferences hosted by the association's Educational Fund, which she calls political.

Ayala and Penman said they were angry at board President Marlin Brown for refusing to maintain order. Penman said she was disappointed Brown did not ask community members to stop making personal attacks.

Brown said he pounded his gavel when Navarro attacked Ayala's father, but that he allowed Navarro to continue talking because people have the right to voice opposition to board members' views.

"This happens, and it's unfortunate," Brown said. "It's a fine line between what you have to allow and not allow."

Following Ayala and Penman's exit, Parra and Valdez reiterated their support for bilingual education. None of the remaining board members spoke directly about their colleagues' departure.

Superintendent Arturo Delgado said he had no power to interrupt speakers at meetings. But he pleaded with community members to refrain from name calling and personal attacks.

"If this district is going to be a productive district ... we have to have a sense of decorum," he said.

Navarro said after Tuesday's meeting that he was not sorry for his comments. He said Lopez had attacked him outside an earlier board meeting. Lopez denied that allegation, saying he confronted Navarro only to tell him to stop criticizing his daughter.

Navarro has publicly accused Ayala of refusing to support the district's diverse students.

Of Tuesday's events, Ayala, a teacher for more than two decades, said, "(Navarro) has no right to attack my father. He has no right to attack me. Marlin will not stop it, and I'm done with him. He's incompetent to do the job that he's been given."

She added that though she was disappointed by fellow board members' actions, she hopes they can work together in the future.

"I don't know what's going to happen next. I'm going to continue to work on school business, listen to teachers, listen to classified (employees) and see what's going on in our schools and hopefully contribute something to the good of our district," she said. "And that's what I'm there for."

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_5700494