Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CA Senator Proposes Illegal Immig Autos Exempt From Impound

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0, ... 25,00.html

Vehicle impound exemption proposed for illegal immigrants

Senator pushes to exempt illegal immigrants' vehicles from being impounded

By Harrison Sheppard
    Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO - Stymied by his efforts to provide driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, has proposed a measure that would exempt undocumented motorists from vehicle-impound laws.
    Under current law, police can impound for 30 days the vehicle of a motorist caught driving without a valid license. Cedillo's bill would exempt those who don't have a license simply because they are not legal U.S. residents.

Cedillo said law enforcement resources should be dedicated to pursuing serious driving offenses such as drunk driving, not licensing violations by undocumented immigrants.

"That's what the money should be spent for, not towing people's cars who are taking their citizen-kids to school, church or the supermarket," Cedillo said. "It's just a bad policy and it doesn't make sense."

Unlike his measure that would make illegal immigrants eligible for licenses, which was repealed under pressure from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Cedillo has pushed for his new bill quietly.

In fact, one of the strongest opponents to Cedillo's driver's-license measure, Mike Spence, president of the conservative group California Republican Assembly, was unaware of the latest bill until contacted for comment.

Spence said the bill appears to apply a "double standard" because legal residents whose licenses were suspended or revoked still would be punished.

"If you're a citizen and you break one law, your car will be impounded for 30 days. If you're already breaking another law and you break this law, you get away with it free. It's a "Get-your-car-out-of-impound-free card' for illegal aliens, and it's wrong."

His sentiment was echoed by at least one local immigration activist, who added that by making the proposal, Cedillo himself is breaking the law.

"He's not interesed in abiding by the law, as his oath of office requires him," said Andy Ramirez, chairman of Friends of the Border Patrol, a Chino group that supports Border Patrol agents. "The only thing he's interesed in is breaking the law and allowing lawbreakers to do just that.'

Cedillo's bill, SB591, is currently on hold, pending developments at the national level, where lawmakers are working on a bill to establish a national identification system.

The federal bill would prohibit illegal aliens from obtaining the standard license, but would allow states to provide separate license documents allowing illegal immigrants to drive. If it passes, Cedillo said his bill may not be necessary, depending on how California reacts.

Los Angeles police officers say the ability to impound vehicles is a useful tool for law enforcement. Lt. Steven Allen of the LAPD's Valley Traffic Division said the law helps discourage unlicensed, uninsured drivers by making it more expensive.

"I probably get more complaints about this very issue from people who are involved in traffic accidents than any other issue," Allen said. "(They say) "Here I am in this country legally and I have a driver's license and I get rear-ended by someone who has no license, who is here illegally and has no insurance. How am I ever going to get money for the damage to my car?"'

Valley Traffic runs operations several times a month, targeting areas where there are frequent hit-and-runs to check for driver's licenses and registrations. The operations usually result in anywhere from 80 to 120 impounds each time.

Allen said there is no reason to drive without a license because police are required to recognize valid licenses from other countries, so those who are here illegally should at least maintain a legal license from their native country.

Congress is expected to pass the national license law called the REAL ID act by next week.

The act also makes it more difficult to seek asylum in the United States and waives environmental regulations to speed up the completion of a three-mile section of fence between California and Mexico near San Diego.

The immigration provisions are part of an $82 billion emergency spending bill for tsunami relief and U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rep. David Dreier, R-Glendora, an early supporter of the immigration provisions, hailed them as a key part of ensuring national security. He specifically blasted environmental groups that have fought completion of the border fence.

"In the name of the environment, the environment has been plundered," he said, holding up posters showing the garbage-strewn area of uncompleted fence.

Southern California Republicans are expected to unanimously vote in favor of the bill. Democrats are divided.

Opponents say it is unlikely that illegal immigrants would opt to receive a license that essentially identifies them as illegal. Advocates say protecting driver's licenses will disrupt terrorist travel and ensure that states know who is receiving official identification.

Reps. Howard Berman, D-Van Nuys, and Hilda Solis, D-El Monte, have both said that despite their opposition to the immigration provisions, they will support the bill because it funds equipment and other services for U.S. troops.

Rep. Grace Napolitano, D-Santa Fe Springs, has said she will oppose it.

Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Pasadena said he will vote in favor of the bill.

"I don't think the immigration provisions belong in the bill," Schiff said, adding, "Given the equipment shortages we're seeing in Iraq, I don't think we can draw the supplemental (funding) out any further."
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Butterbean,

I just read the first paragraph and concluded that these stories just get whackier and whackier!

Wish I had someone always lobbying for "everything in the book" for me.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

It sure PAYES to be a citizen! Sheesh!
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Actually, I think it is terribly wrong that we should impound their vehicles for 30 days.

I think they should be siezed and sold at public auction, along with all the other property siezed from criminals.

CA Senator Doesn't Want Illegal Immig Cars Impounded

Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixote
    Actually, I think it is terribly wrong that we should impound their vehicles for 30 days.

I think they should be siezed and sold at public auction, along with all the other property siezed from criminals.
    DonQ, You make so much sense in everything you say. But, it's really hard to take you seriously, everytime I look at you! You just aren't a very attractive guy.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Go to any impound yard across northern Mexico and guess who's cars are there more than any other?Ours!

I have to tie myself in my chair with some of this stuff that I read. Doesn't this congressman know that aiding and abetting an illegal alien is a felony? Isn't that what his proposal would do? Actually exempt the 'persons most likely' from the law?

Dizzy...I tell you, I'm DIZZY...

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

no impound illegal cars

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner
    I have to tie myself in my chair with some of this stuff that I read. Doesn't this congressman know that aiding and abetting an illegal alien is a felony? Isn't that what his proposal would do? Actually exempt the 'persons most likely' from the law?

Dizzy...I tell you, I'm DIZZY...

RR
    Isn't all of this getting weirder and weirder all the time?

This guy is wild. I'm beginning to wonder about HIS documents. He's the type that got us into this mess. That's right Mister, let's come up with new laws and then come up with some newer new laws to counteract the first new law! You don't get it Buddie, those days are over.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)