Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CAFTA gets push in Alabama(Lets Push Back)

http://www.al.com/

CAFTA gets push in Alabama
    Commerce chief seeks to enlist state's Republicans
    Wednesday, June 15, 2005
    MARY ORNDORFF
    News Washington correspondent

WASHINGTON - Alabama has become a front line in the congressional battle over free trade because many of the state's normally loyal Republicans continue to express doubt over the latest international agreement backed by President Bush.

U.S. Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez said Tuesday the administration is reaching out more frequently to members of Congress over CAFTA, the Central American Free Trade Agreement, which needs their approval to take effect.

"We are talking to delegations from around the country and, of course, Alabama is important," Gutierrez said in an interview.
    Advertisement

The White House is backing the trade deal as a way to improve the market for U.S. exporters and protect new democracies in the Central American region. CAFTA would phase out or eliminate tariffs on products from the United States that are sold in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. Those countries' exports to the United States already are duty-free.

Gutierrez said there is a growing momentum for CAFTA on Capitol Hill as people learn of the benefits to American manufacturers and farmers.

However, opponents such as textile interests, labor groups and some farm organizations say the administration is losing ground because of concerns over American job losses and unfair competition from cheap labor.

The only member of Alabama's delegation to previously express support for CAFTA said Tuesday he has new reservations.

"While I have been a long-standing advocate of free trade, there are some details in CAFTA which could negatively affect a part of Alabama's textile industry," said Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Vestavia Hills. "For that reason, I have expressed my concerns to the administration, and am currently advocating separate legislation or side agreements to resolve these issues."

Alabama's sock makers in Fort Payne, in particular, have been lobbying against CAFTA. And management at Avondale Mills Inc. fears the agreement would allow companies to funnel raw materials from China through mills in Central America and into the United States as finished products, without paying tariffs. In response, Gutierrez said CAFTA would allow the United States to inspect Central American customs operations.

Gutierrez personally has lobbied in recent days at least two Alabama Republicans in the House, Rep. Robert Aderholt of Haleyville and Rep. Mike Rogers of Anniston. Both say their constituents fear CAFTA would cause a loss of jobs similar to the loss they saw in the years after the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA.

Rep. Artur Davis, D-Birmingham, also has announced his opposition to CAFTA.

E-mail: morndorff@bhamnews.com
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I have sent emails to both Jeff Sessions and Robert Aderholt telling them that the people of Alabama do NOT support CAFTA in any way. There is a new attitude coming out about the people who represent us, either they listen to their constituents or they are more than likey going home after the elections. We have been ignored long enough and I for one am not going to take it any more. I am emailing, calling, etc.. trying to make them seriously listen to the people, not just the big PAC's. The PAC's do not care what the people want or what they are saying.

I think we need to send a lot of these "politicians" home and find representatives that care about the people and the state. Now that we have the new plant coming to Brookley Field, I'm sure we'll be inundated by illegal aliens that will do the jobs the American people won't do ...

I think we should get "illegal aliens" to do the job Congress won't do -- maybe then they will listen
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Over my dead body!

I called Sessions, Bachus, Shelby and Rogers offices yesterday. I am giong to call the rest today!

People, America is under attack! Not just from the illegals but from OUR OWN GOVERNMENT! These da_ned supreme court judges are not issuing and changing laws based on the constitution, they are doing it WITH TOTAL DISREGARD OF THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!!
    We are in BIG TROUBLE!!!!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

I've been contacting them for judicial reform -- but unless you're in the public eye or a political threat you're ignored
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    I've been contacting them for judicial reform -- but unless you're in the public eye or a political threat you're ignored

Build a professional looking .org web site and then they will take more notice. I will continue to call on them to VOTE NO ON CAFTA or they are fired.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Build a professional looking .org web site and then they will take more notice. I will continue to call on them to VOTE NO ON CAFTA or they are fired.
    you think that helps?

Every new web site that gets put up will get the attention of more people. the more people we can let know about what is going on the more support we get. People in Congress get intimidated by groups that have large backings. I can assure you that if done right, the internet can work for you. You have to use decorum when speaking with the politicians but I can assure you that It does have an impact.

it's been my experience with politicians that the State reps are much nicer than the federal -- they are closer to the people. Senators believe they are above the people and above the State Legislature

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    it's been my experience with politicians that the State reps are much nicer than the federal -- they are closer to the people. Senators believe they are above the people and above the State Legislature
    You are correct about that. I am getting some responses from Senators but all we can do is keep trying. We have to fight the battle if we are to win it. Never give up. I refuse to let them take my country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast