Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cain: Don't change Constitution on 'anchor babies'

romenews-tribune.com
    by SHANNON McCAFFREY
    Associated Press
    Friday, Oct 28 at 10:20 PM

HOMEWOOD, Ala. (AP) — Presidential hopeful Herman Cain said Friday he does not support tinkering with the U.S. Constitution to take away citizenship to babies born to illegal immigrants on American soil.

At a campaign stop in Alabama, Cain said he supports doing something to deal with so-called anchor babies. "But don't change the 14th Amendment," he said. "Leave it alone."

He did not detail what he would do to address the issue.

Cain made the comments as he barnstormed through Alabama as part of a two-day bus tour. He has generally laid out a hardline stance on immigration, even suggesting at a recent campaign stop in Tennessee that a fence along the southern border be electrified to kill Mexican immigrants trying to enter the United States. He later apologized if his remarks offended anyone.

Alabama has approved what is widely considered to be the toughest immigration law in the nation. Cain did not specifically endorse the law — portions of which have been blocked by judges — but said his own immigration plan would rely on states to do what the federal government has been unable to.

"Empower the states to deal with the illegal immigration issue and you will get the problem solved," he said.

He said a Cain administration would not sue states that implement tough immigration crackdowns.

Cain also assailed Republican rival Rick Perry's tax reform plan "flat tax light."

Cain said the Texas governor's optional flat tax plan still relies too heavily on income tax. Cain's own 9-9-9 tax relies on a blend of a 9 percent tax on income and corporate earnings as well as a 9 percent national sales tax.

Earlier in the day, the Georgia businessman came out swinging at President Barack Obama for announcing the U.S. would pull troops out of Iraq by the end of the year.

"You don't announce you are going to pull all of the troops out of Iraq and send the enemy an email saying you're going to pull all the troops out of Iraq," Cain told hundreds of supporters crowded into the Ritz Theater in Talladega. "That makes no sense."

Cain is set to make a foreign policy address Monday in Washington, aides said. He has faced criticism for his lack of foreign policy background. But Cain said Friday he has "foreign policy common sense."

And he routinely deflects the attacks with a jab at Obama's own lack of experience on the world stage when he entered the White House.

Cain was in Alabama as part of a two-day swing that began at a tea party breakfast at a golf course in Anniston. After Talladega, he headlined a rally in Birmingham, filed paperwork to appear on the Alabama presidential primary ballot at state headquarters in suburban Homewood and appeared later in Montgomery.

Cain's itinerary on Saturday will take him to Tuscaloosa and Huntsville.

http://www.romenews-tribune.com/pages/f ... d=16215683
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Cain: Don't change Constitution on 'anchor babies'

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard

romenews-tribune.com
    by SHANNON McCAFFREY
    Associated Press
    Friday, Oct 28 at 10:20 PM

HOMEWOOD, Ala. (AP) — Presidential hopeful Herman Cain said Friday he does not support tinkering with the U.S. Constitution to take away citizenship to babies born to illegal immigrants on American soil.

At a campaign stop in Alabama, Cain said he supports doing something to deal with so-called anchor babies. "But don't change the 14th Amendment," he said. "Leave it alone."

He did not detail what he would do to address the issue.
    The 14th Amendment doesn't need tinkering with, it's already been tinkered with and that's the problem. We need to go back to the original interpretation of the 14th Amendment, which was never meant to apply to immigrants in the country illegally. Congress thought they had taken care of that issue when they added the phrase about being "under the jurisdiction" of the US, which illegal immigrants clearly were not!

Doesn't surprise me that Cain would say this, he really doesn't seem to be very well informed on Constitutional issues. Wonder if he thinks it's just a "piece of paper"?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Alabama has approved what is widely considered to be the toughest immigration law in the nation. Cain did not specifically endorse the law — portions of which have been blocked by judges — but said his own immigration plan would rely on states to do what the federal government has been unable to.

"Empower the states to deal with the illegal immigration issue and you will get the problem solved," he said.

He said a Cain administration would not sue states that implement tough immigration crackdowns.
    I would sure prefer to hear him say that the Executive Branch under his administration would do as the Constitution says: Take charge of illegal immigration and ENFORCE the laws on the books. Our problem is that the Executive Branch has refused this responsibility given it by the Constitution, while at the same time taking over many resposibilities that were to be left to the states.

Just lost MY vote.
    <div>MY eyes HAVE seen the GLORY... And that GLORY BELONGS to US... We the PEOPLE!</div>

The expiration date on the 14th Amendment has long since passed. It has served its purpose and now only acts as a magnet for those who can slither across our borders to take advantage of the windfall that awaits them. The 14th Amendment has been hijacked by every criminal that violates our sovereignty and gives birth. Unfortunately, we have too many spineless leaders in this country who refuse to address this issue.

Bestowing citizenship to the spawn of those who entered this country in violation of our immigration laws was not the intent of our founding fathers when enacting the 14th Amendment.

There is no one in our Congress that is willing to make clear that anchor babies are not citizens. They bow to the illegals now.

No one has standing to sue either. You would have to find someone who should have received citizenship but was denied.

So from what I can see is, we have a law that is totally unenforceable.

Thank you Congress for taking that meaningless oath. American taxpayers are screwed because we have no right to buck the law and because Americans are happy as long as the electricity is still on.

Honestly, how many people do you think would take off from work and go to DC to demand that anchor babies be denied citizenship?

There is your answer. Only illegals protest every chance they get.

Quote Originally Posted by jd421
    There is no one in our Congress that is willing to make clear that anchor babies are not citizens. They bow to the illegals now.
    Not so! Check this out--

Sen. John Boozman Co-Sponsors Birthright Citizenship Bill

Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Sen. John Boozman (R-Ark.) has co-sponsored Sen. David Vitter's (R-La.) legislation that would amend federal law to require at least one parent of children born in the United States be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. The Birthright Citizenship Act of 2011 (S.723) amends section 301 of the Immigration and Nationality Act and is similar to legislation offered by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) in the House.

Sen. Boozman is serving his first term in the Senate, but was a leader in the House for five years. He has earned a career A grade.

Sen. Vitter introduced S.723 with three original co-sponsors, including Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah), Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), and Rand Paul (R-Ky.).

According to a recent study from the Center for Immigration Studies, 200,000 children are born each year to non-immigrant visitors to the United States.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/ ... -bill.html

I also know that Rep. Ron Paul supports ending birthright citizenship, and has for some time. I'm sure there are others. The biggest problem is that the leadership in Congress won't bring bills up for a vote.

I appreciate you pointing out that there are some in Congress that are wiling to do something.

I feel like Debbie Downer sometimes but often times Congressman will introduce bills that they know will never get passed. Its almost an exercise in how to get votes. I am not saying this is the case with these Congressman, but where were these people when we have been shouting about it for years?

I too tried to pass legislation in my state. My legislation was introduced. I call it a sympathy introduction. (Someone owed me a favor) When it got to the second committee, they took out the guts of my bill and put it up for a vote. It absolutely had nothing to do with my original intent. The Republican chairman could not look me in the eye the night before when he told me he fixed the bill to keep it alive.

I am discouraged by what I see in our Congress. Doing the right thing is no longer in their vocabulary. Why are there so many of them that are against Americans? How could this have gone on for so long to the point where we don't even have a Presidential candidate who can say the word DEPORT. I am afraid the illegals have more power than we do because the candidates have been told that the legal relatives won't vote for them if we express anything about illegal immigration being against the law. This is a very sad affair.

14th

There is no reason to change the 14th amendment. The problem is in the interpretation of a few words, "under the jurisdiction of", which was decided in court years ago to grant citizenship to all, whilke its real intent was to ensure that black citizens had the right to vote.

The amendment should be fine as written . It is the court interpretation of that one clause.

Send it back to the SCOTUS today and you know that the three women will instantly try to maintain the misinterpretation. With Stevens, we instantly will be perilously close to a bad interpretation again.

He's just a serial loser. He lost his last "attempt" at the presidency, he's lost all of his political "pursuits." He's not worth the time or effort needed to pay attention to him.
    He will say anything that sells his books or other merchandise. I trust him less than I do the current occupant of the White House, and "that's sayin' sumthin'."
    I don't care who you are, how you got here, what color you are, what language/dialect you speak... If you didn't get here legally then you don't belong here. Period.