Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California students are among nation's worst

And I remember when we were one of the top states in education.
    ~~~

Updated Friday, November 09, 2007
    California students are
    among nation's worst

Some South Bay schools outpaced state average, but high schoolers overall ranked near the bottom in U.S. in key areas, according to UCLA study.

By Naush Boghossian
    Staff Writer

California students are among the nation's worst academic achievers, and although some South Bay schools are bucking the trend, those in the Los Angeles Unified School District are faring even worse than the statewide average, according to a UCLA study released Thursday.

In one of the broadest looks at California's educational system, the state's high-school students ranked near the bottom nationwide on key markers including achievement, graduation and college-enrollment rates.

If current trends continue, every high school in California will fail to achieve proficiency in math by the 2014 goal set by the federal No Child Left Behind law, the report's researchers found.

And while obstacles in California are greatest for black and Latino students, the study indicates the state's educational system has problems that go far beyond a persistent racial gap in achievement.

"This cultural argument suggests that the problem of low test scores resides within the African-American and Latino communities," said Jeannie Oakes, associate director of UCLA's Institute for Democracy, Education & Access.

"It fails to account for the fact that California students generally have lower test scores than students across the nation."

State Superintendent of Schools Jack O'Connell's office had not read the report, but had released a statement on the recent findings on the California High School Exit Exam, which he said underscored "how critically important it is that we mount a statewide effort to close the achievement gap."

O'Connell noted that even though the reporting of dropouts is still imprecise until they implement a statewide student tracking system, the issue remains a serious concern.

And the study further affirms that LAUSD's graduation rate is even more troubling.

In its report, the institute studied the class of 2006 at every California high school, detailing the rates of completion, enrollment in the state's four-year colleges and universities and assignment of well-qualified teachers.

The study also incorporated results of the 2007 National Assessment of Educational Progress, which showed California's fourth-graders rank 48th in reading and 46th in math. Meanwhile, eighth-graders ranked 47th in reading and 45th in math.

Researchers also included reports on the percentage of 12th-graders enrolling in four-year colleges, which found the rate of enrollment put California ahead of only Mississippi and Arizona.

Class of 2006 was studied California's high-school graduation rate of 66percent also is well below the national average, and researchers found an unequal distribution of qualified teachers and classroom sizes - particularly in minority schools.

Problems also included secondary schools that are generally larger than in any state except Florida. In California, more than 25 percent of students attend schools acknowledged as overcrowded, said John Rogers, co-director of the UCLA institute.

California's math, science and social studies classrooms have more students, on average, than similar classrooms in any other state, Rogers said. Middle and high school students across the state also have poor access to counselors, Rogers said.

At the Los Angeles Unified School District, the problems are magnified. A staggering 62 percent of schools are overcrowded, according to the state Department of Education definition - compared with 16 percent in the state. In addition, 13 percent of LAUSD's schools are experiencing severe shortages of qualified teachers, compared with 6 percent statewide.

At half of LAUSD's schools, more than a fifth of the college prep math classes are taught by teachers without credentials to teach math - compared with a 32 percent statewide average.

And LAUSD fell far below the state average of 80percent of the class of 2006 passing the math section on the California High School Exit Exam by grade 12.

LAUSD Superintendent David Brewer said he's been aggressively lobbying the state for more funds - and more flexibility in how to spend the money.

"You not only need more money, but we need some of the restrictions on the money relaxed so we can use it in more innovative ways and tailor it because all schools don't have the same needs," he said.

In the meantime, the district is pursuing other avenues to reduce class and school sizes through its facilities program and personalizing school environments.

The district also is working on strengthening its standards-based curriculum - and particularly targeting its more than 250,000 English learners - and creating more robust professional development programs.

"What we have determined is when you have super large schools, you lose the personalized learning environment," Brewer said. "So we've implemented a small learning community strategy, particularly at secondary schools."

And they are working on creating a culture of high expectations, stepping up recruitment of qualified math and science teachers, as well as providing the services to meet the special social needs of their student population.

Ultimately, Rogers said that to close the gaps dividing California's students will require directing more resources and investment to key areas.

"The statistics shown in this report suggest that solving educational inequity requires a two-

pronged strategy," he said.

"One that improves California's education infrastructure overall and, at the same time, targets resources and support to students concentrated in the much smaller proportion of middle and high schools that suffer from an even greater lack of essential educational resources."

LAUSD school board member Julie Korenstein said California's standards are higher than most states', but there has to be adequate funding to give enough resources to schools, particularly those in high-poverty areas, to be able to meet those standards.

"If you don't have the funding to pull up English learners, children of poverty and learning disabled students by the bootstraps, then you can't do it. You're hitting your head against the wall," she said. "A lot of people will say you don't need the money, but if you want to hire the best teachers and reduce class size, it costs money."

Where South Bay schools stand

Some South Bay schools outpaced state average scores on the high school exit exam as well as percentages of their students going on to California colleges. At Torrance's North High School, for instance, 91 percent of the class of 2006 passed the exit exam's math portion by their senior year versus just 80 percent statewide. And 47 percent of that class went on to college in California vs. 33 percent statewide.

Similarly, Palos Verdes Peninsula High School sent 47 percent of students to colleges in California. The high-performing school also usually produces plentiful students for Ivy League and other private colleges.

Areawide, though, the South Bay reflects the much talked-about achievement gap. For example, Hawthorne High School, where the class of 2006 was 76 percent Latino and 15 percent black, just 65percent of students passed the exit exam's math section by their senior year and 29 percent went onto state colleges and universities.

Of the 12th-graders at Banning High School in Wilmington - with a class that was 87 percent Latino - 68 percent passed the math section of the exit exam and 74 percent passed English-language arts. Less than 20 percent went on to state colleges and universities.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/regstat ... 36631.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

My grandson who is in the 3rd grade has two non English students in his class. His teacher doesn't speak Spanish. So, much time is spent on trying to communicate with this child. It is not fair to the English speaking student and not fair to the Spanish speaking child. California use to have some of the best schools in the nation. Hence, illegal immigration. California is the prime example of how multiculturism is hurting our educational system etc. Also every child left behind is a pain in the butt. All they do is teach the kids how to pass the test. They spend no time on teaching.

This might be the new definition of equality; bring Americans down to the level of illegal immigrants. I am seeing students graduating with honors from high school without ever writing a term paper.

That's why I think they should eliminate that rule that the top 10% of their class automatically get into many colleges. There is such a difference between one high school and the next.

One of my good friends in college in Los Angeles went to a supposedly great high school in Arizona, but she said she NEVER had homework in high school. I went to one of the top high schools in the nation in Texas, and spent every waking hour on homework in high school. I had so much homework during my junior year, I was coming home, working on homework until 11pm at night, then getting up at 4am to continue working on homework, and STILL not getting it all done!! I was sooo burned out by the second semester that I ended up getting a few C's for the first time, just because the workload was so harsh. She graduated in the top 10% of her class with A's and B's, I graduated in the middle of my class with straight A's and B's (except for those couple of C's). There was extreme competition in my high school, and making A's and B's wasn't enough to get you even to the top 20% of the class.

When we got to college, I had no trouble managing my workload, while she could hardly take it. She wasn't used to homework and long research papers!!! I'd done TONS of them in high school, while she didn't remember doing one! I do have to say that my high school went too extreme with the homework load, but I did learn a lot about time management and concentration.

I saw this with a lot of students in college who were from public California high schools, who dropped out after the first or second semester due to not being able to handle the workload (and a lot of times not taking it seriously, including missing a lot of classes and not doing homework on time, and wondering why they failed the class!) Makes you think this is EXACTLY how they went through high school, and so didn't even know college was any different!

TexasGal

I'm confused here. I became a graduate student at San Jose State Univ in order to get my teaching credentials. I wanted to teach K-9 math. I was told my physics and engineering degrees meant nothing and I would have to go the full two years (with no pay - teaching one year) and take courses like "the theory of numbers." I was willing, but I asked how I would live for two years with no income - and this is a direct quote "with your parents like everybody else." I was told you HAVE to have credentials to teach at CA public schools. I went on to a private high school and several students told their parents I was the first to get them to enjoy and excel at math. How is it that so many of these teachers aren't qualified to teach math? 30% statewide??? The state basically barred me - and my math skills are top notch and I have a great rapport with children AND I'm pretty much Eng/Span bilingual. I've been unemployed for over a year and I'm angry and mystified.

sofedup, and then they want you to get those CLAD certificates. That's crazy that they rejected you. Did you talk to a particular district, or to the state credentialing people? I had a hard time getting hired and credentialed when I came out here, and had taken the CBEST and everything. State wouldn't give me a credential without a job, and I couldn't find a position. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to hear about a job. I got hired, then the district sent through all my paperwork for my certification. It's almost like they want to drive away the qualified people. I think you are better off anyway being in a private school. I wouldn't do public school again. I will look into private or something not education-related.