Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Candidates seek Hispanic support for economic plans

July 8, 2008, 2:16PM
    Candidates seek Hispanic support for economic plans

BY LIZ SIDOTI and CHARLES BABINGTON
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama pitched competing economic plans to Hispanics today, the second time in as many weeks the presidential candidates directly appealed to this critical constituency.

The rivals, to be sure, were pressing anew their support for comprehensive immigration reform, a bedrock issue for Spanish-speaking Americans, in separate speeches to the League of United Latin American Citizens.

But each was primarily focused on making his case that he — and not his opponent — could best lead the country out of economic straits and help the middle class achieve prosperity.

It's a poignant message for the audience, an organization that advocates social and economic policies benefiting Hispanics. The economy, health care, education and providing opportunities to reach what politicians call the American dream are issues that resonate strongly with members of the fastest growing minority group, many of whom came to the United States in search of a better life.

So, both candidates sought to show they best relate to — and can help — voters struggling with gas prices, job layoffs and home foreclosures.

"At its core, the economy isn't the sum of an array of bewildering statistics," McCain said. "It's about the aspirations of the American people to build a better life for their families; dreams that begin with a job."
    "I have a plan to grow the economy, create more and better jobs, and get America moving again," the Arizona senator added, promising to help small businesses prosper, make health care more affordable, improve education and free the country from its dependence on foreign oil.

"If you believe you should pay more taxes, I am the wrong candidate for you," McCain said. "Jobs are the most important thing our economy creates."

Later, in his prepared remarks, Obama promised to "restore fairness to our economy by putting a tax cut into the pockets of workers and small business owners; by ending tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas and giving them to companies that create good jobs here at home; by solving the housing crisis, and giving relief to struggling homeowners, and investing in infrastructure to create new jobs in the construction industry that's been so hard hit."

He laced his speech with criticisms of McCain's economic plans for more tax cuts for large corporations and the wealthy, for a health insurance plan Obama said "will make you pay taxes on your health care for the first time ever" and for abandoning "his courageous stance" on comprehensive immigration reform.

Obama was to be introduced by Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, one of the nation's most prominent Hispanic politicians. Villaraigosa supported Hillary Rodham Clinton in the Democratic primary season but has backed Obama since it ended.

Last month, McCain and Obama pledged to make overhauling the country's immigration a priority in separate appearances to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials conference. McCain assured that audience that he wouldn't pursue the enforcement-only approach sought by hard-line GOP conservatives, while Obama accused McCain of walking away from comprehensive immigration reform.

Obama was expected to make the same arguments again, though his remarks were to focus more broadly on the economy.

Both McCain and Obama support a temporary worker program and eventual path to citizenship for millions of immigrants in the country illegally. But after a comprehensive Senate bill failed last summer amid coast-to-coast public outcry that split the GOP, McCain has added that the borders must be secure first before people will accept other reforms.

Both candidates also are scheduled to speak to the National Council of La Raza annual conference in San Diego later this month.
    They are making aggressive plays for this fickle Democratic-leaning group that could tip the balance in battleground states.

"This election could well be decided by Latino voters," Obama told the league meeting. "Every four years some of the closest contests take place in Florida, Colorado, Nevada, and New Mexico states with large Latino communities. In 2004, 40,000 Latinos who were registered to vote in New Mexico didn't turn out on Election Day, and Sen. Kerry lost that state by less than 6,000 votes."

He noted that well over 6,000 Latinos aren't even registered to vote in New Mexico today. "So while I know how powerful a community you are, I also know how powerful you could be on Nov. 4th if you translate your numbers into votes," he said.

A recent AP-Yahoo News poll showed that Obama leads McCain among Hispanics, 47 percent to 22 percent with 26 percent undecided.

Still, Obama, who is trying to become the first black president, doesn't have a lock on Hispanics. During the primaries, Hispanics preferred Clinton to Obama by nearly 2-to-1.

McCain senses an opportunity based on his links to the West and Republican inroads four years ago.

President Bush captured about 40 percent of the Hispanic vote in 2004, to Democratic rival John Kerry's 58 percent, down from the 62 percent former Vice President Al Gore got in 2000. Still, in the 2006 congressional elections, Democrats scored their biggest win among Hispanics since 1996.

"I know i am not alone when i say it is completely beyond me why the American people waste their vote for idiots like this ".

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/pol ... 77367.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When will these idiots wake up and realize that the hispanic vote alone will not win the election?!?!? In addition, hispanics do NOT vote as a block!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Both candidates have again pandered and pledged to push for amnesty for tens of millions of illegal aliens.

So now the question is, under which presidency will an amnesty bill be easier to defeat. As I have said before, I think it will be easier to defeat an amnesty coming from Obama than McCain.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Both candidates have again pandered and pledged to push for amnesty for tens of millions of illegal aliens.

So now the question is, under which presidency will an amnesty bill be easier to defeat. As I have said before, I think it will be easier to defeat an amnesty coming from Obama than McCain.
    I agree, especially if we have a Republican controlled Congress.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina

I agree, especially if we have a Republican controlled Congress.
    I doubt that the GOP will regain control of Congress; in fact, their Dems will likely increase their majorities (at least this is the conventional wisdom at this time).

Regardless, with McCain in charge he would bully rank and file Republicans while courting the Dems on amnesty -- all the while praised for his "bipartisanship" and "courage" by the MSM for tackling this issue. The GOP (and our allies in talk radio) would find it easier to rally against amnesty from Obama than McCain IMHO.

Looks like both of these idiots are taking for granted millions of of voters maybe they figure we are in thier pocket and the only way to win is to pander to groups such as la raza and lulac.

I was bored today ( as usual ) so I decided to go to the republican national web sight and was browsing around and at the top of the page thier is an option to join a group well much to my dismay thier was no group for me to join only hispanic,african-americans etc...I wonder if they just do not my vote.

And oh yes I did call and did leave a message about how pitiful of a candidate I thought macamnesty was and asked the lady why there was no group on thier page that I felt I belonged to.

Does any one else feel unloved these days ?

http://www.rnc.org/
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

Respectfully disagree. With a Dem controlled Congress, it's more likely they'll fall into lockstep with Obama. I believe McCain can be pushed around a little easier. For example, after the defeat of his amnesty bill, he changed his tune to "border security first."
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Well, Obama/McCain is the terrible choice that we are left with. But from what I've heard and read, McCain is stubborn and vindictive, and if he wins, will be emboldened and empowered and would likely work with most of the Dems and more Repubs to try to pass amnesty. And as far as his claim of securing the border first (he always adds the qualifier "first"), IMO, it's bogus and he will not push for real border security.