Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Cartel Leader Arrested in Mexico

Suspected Cartel Leader Arrested in Mexico

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 9:52 PM
    Updated: Aug 17, 2012 10:13 PM

MEXICO - The suspected head of a Mexican drug cartel was arrested on Friday.

Mexican officials said Hermilo Martinez Vera was arrested thanks to information they got from another suspect. He was arrested in Culiacan, Sinaloa.

A team of Mexican special forces team raided the home where Martinez was and was arrested without incident. Officials seized two rifles, a car, ammunition and an undetermined amount of drugs.

Suspected Cartel Leader Arrested in Mexico | KRGV.com | CHANNEL 5 NEWS | Breaking News Breaking Stories
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How many stay arrested? Are they bribing out of jail? They have the money. Anyone remember any major convictions on hat side of the border?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    How many stay arrested? Are they bribing out of jail? They have the money. Anyone remember any major convictions on hat side of the border?
    Their prisons are more packed than ours.
    No death penalty there but lots of life sentences and long terms.
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 08-18-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Their prisons are more packed than ours.
    No death penalty there but lots of life sentences and long terms.
    Thanks, JohnDoe2, I'm going to check to see how many are major cartel leaders/members imprisoned. I was aware of crowded prisons somewhat. That kind of hints at we are dealling with a nation of of lawbreakers, overcrowded prisons. They insist that they are not labreakers however the statistics and facts keep pointing in a direction to indicate otherwise, huh? I always tell people that if you lie to me, you will steal from me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinssdad View Post
    Thanks, JohnDoe2, I'm going to check to see how many are major cartel leaders/members imprisoned. I was aware of crowded prisons somewhat. That kind of hints at we are dealling with a nation of of lawbreakers, overcrowded prisons. They insist that they are not labreakers however the statistics and facts keep pointing in a direction to indicate otherwise, huh? I always tell people that if you lie to me, you will steal from me, too!
    Important cartel leaders and other big criminals captured in Mexico are all moved to Mexico City to a prison that is on an army base near there so other criminals can't get close to the prison to try and break them out of prison. Your local news sources probably don't carry much news from Mexico City. You might try some Mexico City news sources but remember, if a reporter prints info in Mexico that a cartel doesn't like they go kill them. Lots of journalists killed in Mexico, cutting down on the news coming out of Mexico. Some cartel members do get extradited to the U.S. for crimes committed in the U.S. and go to prison here.
    NO AMNESTY

Drug cartel violence drives Mexico's troops to once tranquil towns

Drug cartel violence drives Mexico's troops to once tranquil towns

The Mexican government has dispatched 15,000 troops, and some are headed to places that used to be considered a refuge from the drug-related violence wracking much of the country.

By Lauren Villagran, Correspondent
    August 17, 2012

Mexico City
    It’s hard to imagine military convoys rolling over the cobblestone colonial streets of Guanajuato, a tranquil town in the Bajío region best known as a destination for university studies and tourism.

But this week, reacting to a spate of violence that has apparently spilled over from neighboring Michoacán state, Mexico’s federal government dispatched troops and federal police to Guanajuato – part of a dispatch of some 15,000 federal forces to seven states. That includes troops to Mexico's long volatile north, apparently due to infighting in the brutal Zetas organization.

After six years of drug-related violence in Mexico, fewer and fewer regions can claim to be "unaffected" by the violence.

RELATED – Mexico's most powerful drug cartels

Guanajuato has been one of these dwindling oases, a pristine town committed to more elevated pursuits: The city is dotted with theaters and hosts the annual Cervantino festival in October, which attracts thousands of people for a month of cultural activities. In the spring the pope visited this state. The highway between Guanajuato and Mexico City has been considered relatively safe – free of the cartels’ armed convoys that routinely patrol highways in northern states gripped by violence. When the Monitor recently did a cover story set in a rural outpost of Guanajuato about migrants returning to Mexico, no one cited crime as a top concern. There, residents walk freely after the sun has set, unconcerned about kidnappings or shootouts.

But is that going to change? Last week, at a gas station called the Green Shade on the highway to San Miguel Allende – a favorite vacation spot and home to Americans and Europeans – heavily armed thugs showed up, set fire to two vehicles, and shot up the station. No one was hurt. Then, in Guanajuato, in one of its emblematic tunnels – the city sits on a maze of stonewalled underground streets – a Mini Cooper was set ablaze. Gas stations in three other municipalities in the state were also attacked.

Cartel La Familia Michoacana and spinoff organization Caballeros Templarios have been fighting each other for the past 18 months, according to InSight, which analyzes organized crime in Mexico. Both organizations were born in Michoacán, the first state where President Felipe Calderón sent troops in his anti-narcotics fight after taking office in December 2006, and their battle is apparently spreading into neighboring Guanajuato.

The arrival of the military has rarely resulted in short-term security gains. Michoacán remains one of Mexico’s most violent regions.

Local reports say that federal police and the military arrived in troubled Guanajuato towns near the state border with Michoacan this week. Military vehicles were also reportedly patrolling Guanajuato, the state capital.

A US travel advisory from February, the most detailed of its kind to date, had no specific travel advisory in place for Guanajuato. But how long will that remain the case?

The receptionist at a small hostería where I often stay seemed eager to dispel any concerns about safety in the city.

“It’s very calm here,” the receptionist says. “People walk around at night, no problem.”

Mexicans have a single word to express a sentiment that requires a whole sentence in English, and it’s the response that came to my mind: ¡Ojalá!
    We can only hope.

Drug cartel violence drives Mexico's troops to once tranquil towns - CSMonitor.com
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2 View Post
    Important cartel leaders and other big criminals captured in Mexico are all moved to Mexico City to a prison that is on an army base near there so other criminals can't get close to the prison to try and break them out of prison. Your local news sources probably don't carry much news from Mexico City. You might try some Mexico City news sources but remember, if a reporter prints info in Mexico that a cartel doesn't like they go kill them. Lots of journalists killed in Mexico, cutting down on the news coming out of Mexico. Some cartel members do get extradited to the U.S. for crimes committed in the U.S. and go to prison here.
    I googled for prison info in Mexico, and sought census info for American prisons. It was difficult to get concurrent info for comparison, but it seems that American prison are housing maybe up to twice the number of Mexicans compared to Mexican prisons. That would suggest that the Mexican population on our side of the borderi s much more prone to be criminals than those on their side. However you interpret it, it is not comforting. Wish I could find a study on comparing this info.