Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Casa de Maryland's 'Winter Semester' teaches skills to immig

Casa de Maryland's 'Winter Semester' teaches skills to immigrants

Fosso Denis, 43, left, and Joseph Titchom, 44, both immigrants from Cameroon, are taking an English class in Silver Spring. They hope the class helps them get better jobs.

1 Comment

By Tara Bahrampour
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011; 8:08 PM

When Jesus Echeverria waits for employers to select him from a crowd of day laborers, they often pass him up.

The skills they are looking for are ones the Salvadoran immigrant doesn't have, such as electrical work, drywalling or masonry.

"I want to know how to do the work," said Echeverria, 54.

With the launching of a new program called "Winter Semester" at Casa de Maryland, he may have better luck this spring. During the cold-weather lull in outdoor work, the Latino advocacy organization is conducting a three-month program of classes in six locations to teach immigrants marketable skills such as plumbing, tailoring, child care, English and computer literacy.

The program, which has public and private funding and is free to students, has 160 immigrants currently enrolled. It supplements Casa de Maryland's night and morning classes.

The classes take place during daytime hours, when workers might otherwise be at a job during the construction season.

"We definitely have some skills issues for the workers," said Kim Propeack, Casa's political director, "and we do have employers who come who are not able to hire people because we don't have the folks who have the skills."

English is important not only to do jobs correctly but for the workers' safety. Immigrant and Latino workers get injured on the job more frequently than others, Propeack said.

"There are a lot of workplace accidents because of inadequate English communication," she said.

Even experienced workers will benefit from adding skills in an economy in which there is expected to be less new construction and more opportunities in renovation and interior work, Propeack added.

On Tuesday, the power tools class in Silver Spring was packed with immigrants in paint-spattered work boots who listened to a lecture in Spanish on safety techniques for handling power saws. A translator repeated the information in French for the growing number of Francophones from Haiti and Africa.

Ahmadou Ibrahim, 33, who came to the United States six months ago and hopes to find contracting work, said the classes teach him techniques that are different from those commonly used in Cameroon, where he taught at a technical high school.

Ibrahim said he hopes what he learns about American-style construction will help him find work in the spring.

"What we are doing in Africa is quite different," he said. "Here, the skill is more advanced. Like the drywall is a skill that we've never seen. And here they use screws, while in Africa we mostly use nails in construction."

In the English class, where vocabulary lessons are often job-related, Henry Argueta helped a roomful of students figure out the difference between "leaf" and "lift." Using their hands to make a heaving motion, the students acted out the word to each other.

"But there is also a 'lifting machine,' " said one student, looking confused.

"Yes," Argueta replied. "That's a forklift. You know, when you have the pallets?

"You also have the scissor lift," he added, sketching on a whiteboard a truck with an accordion-style lift on top. Students nodded in recognition.

But the class, which includes students at different levels of English, is not limited to workplace topics. When a student asked Tuesday about people he has seen who don't drive cars, it sparked a lively discussion about the Amish. That was one of many cultural lessons that have spontaneously arisen in the class.

"They want to adapt to the culture," Argueta said. "Sometimes they ask me about politics. When it was Thanksgiving they asked, 'Teacher, why is it Thanksgiving? Where does it come from?' "

Paul Yembe, 61, a native of Cameroon, works at Target but has found it difficult to move up because of his poor English. He hopes the classes will help. "I need to get a better job," he said.

Argueta, who has taught English to immigrants since 2002, said they often do help: "A lot of students come back and say, 'Teacher, because of what I've learned, I got a job.' "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06654.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Maybe it will help them get a job in Mexico when we send their hindquarters back there.

"A lot of students come back and say, 'Teacher, because of what I've learned, I got a job.' "

Congrats,you stole another American job. You should feel proud of yourself. I suppose we should jump for joy!(sarcastic) So sick of illegals, There is plenty of work in their own countries to do.

Aren't there licensing laws involved with being an electrician, plumber, and other jobs like these? I know the apprenticeship programs take years, are they following applicable licensing laws or do CASA trainees get "special" treatment?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    Aren't there licensing laws involved with being an electrician, plumber, and other jobs like these? I know the apprenticeship programs take years, are they following applicable licensing laws or do CASA trainees get "special" treatment?
    CASA gets special treatment constantly. They are in cahoots with the corruption in MD- they pretty much run the Statehouse and the General Assembly. What they want they get.

They all make me sick and need to be investigated.

CASA is another ACORN. Also everyone appears "scared" to touch this.

I agree with Trixie.
    Casa de Maryland RUNS our state.

Anything that goes against illegal aliens, they cry foul, hold protests, and all issues or attempts to control illegal immigration are brushed under the rug.

We have a governor who calls illegal aliens "New Americans", as taxpayers, we are FORCED to fund Casa de Maryland, an organization that aids & abets illegal aliens, helps them find jobs, helps them obtain government assistance, and even bails them out of jail.

Yes, this anti-American group is funded by OUR tax dollars.

This group has come to the defense of an illegal alien who raped an 11-year old girl.

This group has come to the defense of an illegal alien who BURNED AN 83-YEAR OLD WOMAN ALIVE after they beat her to a pulp.

This organization buses illegal aliens to polling booths to vote (several jurisdictions in Maryland do NOT require you to be a citizen to vote).

Maryland is a sinking ship at the hands of Casa de Maryland. This past summer, this organization BOLDLY did an on-air interview, and stated that over 3,900 employers in Maryland "use their services" to hire illegal workers. How can they NOT be subpoenaed for this so we can find out which employers are hiring illegal aliens? Oh yea, that's right,,.....Casa de Maryland would never allow it.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

In Chicago they have infested local#11 Roofers union. They make up to 70,000 dollars a year, Have a pension, insurance, & CDLs. They have obtained these with fraudulent social security numbers. They hate speaking english, laugh about 9/11, and dont even want to be americans. I got laid of from J.L. Adler roofing Joliet IL. this summer because I wouldnt let this illegal alien bully me. He was the forman, He overstayed his visa and thinks he`s untouchable. The rest of the american roofers are to job scarred to stand up against this abuse. Tried I.N.S., they said they would take note off it. LOL! What a waist of tax money! Is there a law against americans deporting them, kinda like citizen`s arrest? Im not going to be forced out of my livleyhood! Raising income taxes, why dosnt I.R.S. seize what their owed. Like they do to Americans. If anybody would like to call local #11 about putting illegal aliens to work here`s the #708 345 0970. Boycott tax increase. If their not going to tax illegals,then were stuck floating the bill.

Aren't the requirements to be here in the US legally are to be able to speak english FIRST?
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by HippieChick
    I agree with Trixie.
    Casa de Maryland RUNS our state.

Anything that goes against illegal aliens, they cry foul, hold protests, and all issues or attempts to control illegal immigration are brushed under the rug.

We have a governor who calls illegal aliens "New Americans", as taxpayers, we are FORCED to fund Casa de Maryland, an organization that aids & abets illegal aliens, helps them find jobs, helps them obtain government assistance, and even bails them out of jail.

Yes, this anti-American group is funded by OUR tax dollars.

This group has come to the defense of an illegal alien who raped an 11-year old girl.

This group has come to the defense of an illegal alien who BURNED AN 83-YEAR OLD WOMAN ALIVE after they beat her to a pulp.

This organization buses illegal aliens to polling booths to vote (several jurisdictions in Maryland do NOT require you to be a citizen to vote).

Maryland is a sinking ship at the hands of Casa de Maryland. This past summer, this organization BOLDLY did an on-air interview, and stated that over 3,900 employers in Maryland "use their services" to hire illegal workers. How can they NOT be subpoenaed for this so we can find out which employers are hiring illegal aliens? Oh yea, that's right,,.....Casa de Maryland would never allow it.
    You are right on the money, HC! But did you know that "we are not allowed to show identification in Maryland to vote!" that is a FACT- I testified for McDonough's bills to show legal presence and Susan Lee of Monkey County and other race baiters kept complaining "about how this bill would discriminate against "Brown People" (her words) THEY ARE THE RACISTS!

I have testified in the MD GA many times and CASA actually has bused in 200 plus illegal aliens (to testify for their imaginary rights- and the illegals get into the taxpayer State Halls with all kinds of bogus ID!) and they take over all the seats and are allowed to bully taxpayers like me who have come to dissagree with what is going on. It has happend to me and to a colleague! AND they also have piped in state of the art translation for the illegal aliens.
    It is so DISGUSTING and FRIGHTENING what has happened to states like Maryland and our Country.
    CASA de Maryland is also a far leftist group and its founder, Gustavo Torres is friends with Hugo Chavez. Torres even went to a "Commie meeting" in Venezuela with Ward Churchill - on "Revolution in America" Google it foks. VDARE- Joe Guizardi's article on Walter Abbott and O'Malley and it links to "The Militant" were you can read it for yourself.
    CASA also stands for "Central American Solidarity Association."
    This group should have been investigated a long time ago but it is never done. (winky wink)

--

Quote Originally Posted by chitownroofer
    In Chicago they have infested local#11 Roofers union. They make up to 70,000 dollars a year, Have a pension, insurance, & CDLs. They have obtained these with fraudulent social security numbers. They hate speaking english, laugh about 9/11, and dont even want to be americans. I got laid of from J.L. Adler roofing Joliet IL. this summer because I wouldnt let this illegal alien bully me. He was the forman, He overstayed his visa and thinks he`s untouchable. The rest of the american roofers are to job scarred to stand up against this abuse. Tried I.N.S., they said they would take note off it. LOL! What a waist of tax money! Is there a law against americans deporting them, kinda like citizen`s arrest? Im not going to be forced out of my livleyhood! Raising income taxes, why dosnt I.R.S. seize what their owed. Like they do to Americans. If anybody would like to call local #11 about putting illegal aliens to work here`s the #708 345 0970. Boycott tax increase. If their not going to tax illegals,then were stuck floating the bill.
    Roofer! This POSITIVELY makes my BLOOD BOIL!!!