Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The case for Mitt Romney

The case for Mitt Romney
    By Robert C.J. Parry
    Article Last Updated: 01/26/2008 11:25:24 PM PST

THE next president of the United States will have to lead this country through some of the most tumultuous times in its history. Our currency is plunging; the economy is stumbling; the military is stretched in the face of a tenacious, lethal threat; and our character and resources are being drained through the tattered remnants of our sovereignty.

Our next president will have to shore up the economy using a weak dollar while navigating an enormous foreign debt. Our borrowing from the Saudis and Chinese to ensure that the latter can get oil from the former, has cost us lives, treasure and made oil more scarce.

The next president will have to address the threats in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran. Finally, he'll have to effectively seal our borders, fighting off business and social lobbies at each step. And, he must do so while navigating the disruptive effects of removing a discount labor pool from companies.

For my money (and, yes, my money is a big part of this), the only hope we have lies in one former Gov. Mitt Romney. Romney is the man with the right answers right now. That's a bit scary. Three months ago Iraq was the only issue of the campaign. Now it's faded - time enough for three more cycles before Election Day.

Moreover, Mitt's somewhat, um, cyclical ... approach to position-taking over the years makes one wonder if his beliefs now will be his beliefs throughout those pre-election cycles.

But all we can go on is the here and now. And for that, Romney wins hands down.

George W. Bush has been called the country's first MBA president, but he hardly fit that mold. Romney, however, is the mold. If he brings to bear the skills with which he built Bain Capital and his own fortune, the economy will have a chance.

True, MBAs are the ones who have sent so many jobs overseas - and they understand the value of cheap "in-sourced" labor. But, venture capitalists are the ones who turn small companies into the Staples, Brookstones and Domino's Pizzas of the world (all of which Romney had a hand in).

If Romney realizes America is his client - every voter in every heartland factory is his boss - then we will be hard-pressed to find a better man for the economics job.

The war question is the matter of which I am most certain on the governor. He gets it. It doesn't take buildings collapsing around your ears (which is really all Rudy Giuliani practically knows about the war) to understand that some bad dudes want us all dead. Romney knows a thing or two about being on the receiving end of religious bigotry, experience which will be valuable in understanding the enemy.

He also knows resources only go so far, and you get what you pay for. If he doesn't want to be the president who loses the war, he will invest in our forces and reverse not only the Clinton decade of neglect, but the effects of Rumsfeld's outsourced war on the cheap.

Finally, Romney is the strongest candidate on illegal immigration. While dismissing his gardener was a bit of political theater, the fact of the matter is the man is resolute in his statements. He understands the fundamental unfairness of forcing some folks from certain geographic regions to wait in a line, while others saunter in as though there is no line - many of whom (not surprisingly) take far more than they give. As the son, grandson and son-in-law of immigrants, this is key to my vision of the American character.

Perhaps most importantly, as an MBA - and a rich one at that - Romney knows that the only way to pay for that cheap labor pool is to take resources from elsewhere in the economy. Specifically, his and my pocket.

There is, of course, the danger that Romney may flip or flop off in another direction between now, Election Day and the last day of his final term. That's a risk I'm willing to take.

America needs a president who understands that we are a country facing grave challenges. Mitt Romney is the only candidate with the skills to conquer them.

Robert C.J. Parry, an independent observer of politics and media in Los Angeles, blogs at insidesocal.com/friendlyfire. Write to him at rcjparry@gmail.com.
    http://www.dailynews.com/editorial/ci_8085177
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

DJ
    Thanks for that assessment, Zeezil. My conclusions are the same. Romney is the only one who has the "stuff" to straighten out the mess we are in. The fact that he is very wealthy is actually a plus; he can't be bought! This jealousy and hatred of him by the other candidates--and even the media!--is just irrational in my opinion. He does not NEED special interest groups to like him. He can afford to put the American interests first. I certainly hope our fellow countrymen see his qualities of leadership!

I have to agree,hes our only chance.If he dosnt get the nominee,I will send my Republican card back to the party and never vote Republican again.

Is voting someone in who has the same ideals as the CFR a good idea?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

And that is the problem. Ron Paul is the only candidate left standing that isn't in the CFR. If Paul isn't nominted, we'd better hope that Romney is, eventhough he is in the CFR, he'd be the lesser evil of all the other CFR'ers!!!

If Lou Dobbs does decide to jump in, which he might if McCain is the nominee, I certainly hope that Dobbs isn't in the CFR (as a number of journalists are).
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Of the viable GOP candidates, Romney is the only one who has publicly (and repeatedly) said he does not support amnesty, pathway or otherwise.

If Romney doesn't win, it will be McCain. And then amnesty McCain v. amnesty Hillary or amnesty Obama in the general.

The writing is on the wall. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Populist
    Of the viable GOP candidates, Romney is the only one who has publicly (and repeatedly) said he does not support amnesty, pathway or otherwise.

If Romney doesn't win, it will be McCain. And then amnesty McCain v. amnesty Hillary or amnesty Obama in the general.

The writing is on the wall. Your choice.
    That's really quite true. As much as Ron Paul really represents the greatest change from all the other candidates, it really looks like he has a snowball's chance in hell unless by some miracle in the change of thinking of the mass of the American people, he gains some incredible momentum. That being said, I feel that we must rally around Romney since he is the only major candidate that has a chance to de-rail McAmnesty. The more fractured the opponents to McAmnesty remain, the strong it makes him.