Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CENSUS | BROWARD'S NEW FACE

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/ne ... 274613.htm
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Tue, Aug. 15, 2006

CENSUS | BROWARD'S NEW FACE
    Venezuelan population at almost 20,000
    Spurred by political changes in their country, Venezuelans are among the leading groups of South Americans immigrating to Broward.

jlebovich@MiamiHerald.com

BY JERRY BERRIOS AND JENNIFER LEBOVICH

When Gustavo Tirado fled Venezuela two years ago, he traveled to Evansville, Ind. to live with his sister.

But Tirado didn't like the cold and after three months he moved to Weston.

''There were no Venezuelans,'' said Tirado, 41. ``I felt very lonely. It was very hard. I decided to move to Broward because people told me it was more Hispanic population. When I came I saw people speaking Spanish, and I felt more at home.''

Tirado is one of roughly 19,300 Venezuelans living in Broward, according to U.S. Census figures released today. That's a marked increase from the 2000 census, when only 8,845 Venezuelans called Broward home.

The latest numbers tally nearly 400,000 people of Hispanic or Latino origin in Broward County, an increase of 44 percent from 2000.

''The Hispanic population in Broward is not just from one country or two,'' said Broward County Commissioner Diana Wasserman-Rubin. ``It's a great mix.''

Wasserman-Rubin said she is seeing a growing Hispanic population in her district, which covers much of western Broward, including Miramar and portions of Pembroke Pines, Southwest Ranches, and Weston.

`WE'RE EVERYWHERE'

Venezuelans, in particular, are flocking to Broward County because of agrarian reforms taking place in the South American country, she said.

An ad airing on Cuban radio offers a commentary on Broward's growing Cuban population, which increased 39 percent since 2000. The radio spot -- a commercial for the Las Vegas Cuban Cuisine restaurant chain -- has a woman complaining she can't find any good Cuban food since she moved to Broward.

''We're everywhere,'' she says in Spanish.

Wasserman-Rubin said she is noticing more new businesses that cater to Hispanics, like Colombian restaurants and Venezuelan bakeries.

Considering the number of Broward Hispanics not counted in the U.S. Census, the county's total Hispanic population is actually closer to 30 -- not 22 -- percent, said Josie Bacallao, head of Hispanic Unity of Florida in Hollywood.

TRADITIONAL PATTERN

The agency, which offers English classes, job placement, emergency assistance, and information and referrals to new immigrants and low-income residents, has seen a steady number of clients over the last several years, Bacallao said.

Colombians, whose numbers increased in Broward from 37,535 in 2000 to 56,726 in 2005, usually lead the pack.

Immigrants are following the traditional pattern of immigration.

''It has to do with one family or individual coming to a location, they are successful and they tell their friends,'' Bacallao said.

Broward is attractive to immigrant families because it isn't as crowded as Miami-Dade, and they believe there are more work opportunities and better schools than in Miami-Dade, she said.

SEEKING BETTER LIFE

''It's quality of life. It's what everyone is looking for,'' Bacallao said. ``Immigrants are no different.''

The quality of schools in Broward County also helped seal the deal for Tirado, who has a 16-year-old daughter and two sons, ages 15 and 13.

''Broward County is a very nice place to live,'' Tirado said.

The education system ``ranks at the top, so I compared with Dade schools, and Broward schools are a lot better.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Miami Herald database editor Tim Henderson contributed to this report.

© 2006 MiamiHerald.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.miami.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I was born and raised in Broward County. Used to be a nice place. We moved a couple hundred miles north about 5 years ago and will never go back.

Now I am thinking I did not move far enough up the state.