Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Charleston legislators wants illegal immigrants sent to pris

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/my ... 437510.htm

Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. -

Illegal immigrants would spend five years in prison and lose their cash and cars under legislation a Charleston lawmaker is pushing.

"My message is South Carolina is not going to be a haven for illegal aliens. Go visit and live in some other state," said Rep. John Graham Altman, a Charleston Republican.

Altman's legislation is the latest from legislators around the nation who want tougher laws to curb illegal immigration.

Legislators in 21 states this year introduced more than 80 bills targeting illegal immigrants and their access to public services, including education and health care; let local police make immigration arrests or force government service agencies to report illegal immigrants.

Immigrant advocates say the bills unfairly target illegal immigrants while not addressing the issue of businesses that hire them. They say the legislation, much of which is stalled in committees, shows growing antagonism and hostility against immigrants, particularly Hispanics.

In South Carolina alone, legislators have proposed:

_ Barring illegal immigrants from receiving workers' compensation benefits.

_ Forcing employers to cover medical costs for illegal immigrants hurt while working for them.

_ Preventing hospitals from being reimbursed with state funds for non-emergency care.

_ Letting police make federal immigration law arrests

_ Requiring proof of citizenship when registering to vote or seeking help from public assistance programs

_ Stopping the state Department of Motor Vehicles from issuing any type of identification card to illegal immigrants.

Altman's felony trespass legislation is one of the toughest introduced in the nation. But he said that is what is needed to deal with illegal immigration. "If they were an invading army with guns and bayonets, the federal government would do something about it," Altman said. "This is an invading army. The guns and bayonets are not visible."

Charleston Southern University economist Al Parish says illegal immigrants now are the backbone of the construction industry and landscaping business in the state. Without them, he said, costs would go up significantly.

They are "doing a lot of the work people otherwise don't want to do," Parish said. "They are filling a legitimate need."

"We could do without these illegal immigrants if we bite the bullet and put our own people to work," Rep. Lanny Littlejohn, R-Pacolet, said. He is a co-sponsor of several of the bills and says illegal immigrants cost the state millions and are the biggest problem facing South Carolina.

"We don't need illegal immigrant workers in South Carolina and America. If they are illegal, they don't belong here. They need a one-way ticket home," Littlejohn said.

"We have to start somewhere," said Rep. Jeff Duncan, a Laurens Republican. "We subsidize enough welfare handouts in this country as is. I don't think we ought to provide those for illegal aliens. These people should not be here and didn't go through legal channels to get here."

David M. Reimers is a professor emeritus at New York University and author of the book "Unwelcome Strangers: American Identity and the Turn Against Immigration."

He said immigration is a federal matter, but states have a lot of power to regulate issues, such as driver's licenses and workers' compensation. "I don't see any simple solutions," he said. "This controversy is going to go on and on and on."

Opportunity remains the fuel.

Rolando, who did not want The Post and Courier of Charleston to use his last name, said he came into the country 11 months ago after paying $1,300 to coyote who helped him cross the border illegally and make it across the Arizona desert. The 19-year-old painter lives with family and friends in North Charleston and waits in a parking lot in the mornings for work as a day laborer.

"I can make more money in a day here than I can in a week in Mexico," he said in Spanish, clutching a plastic bag with a banana and a couple of tacos. "In Mexico, there's not much work. It's poor."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Charleston legislators wants illegal immigrants sent to

Immigrant advocates say the bills unfairly target illegal immigrants while not addressing the issue of businesses that hire them. They say the legislation, much of which is stalled in committees, shows growing antagonism and hostility against immigrants, particularly Hispanics.
    "shows growing antagonism and hostility against immigrants, particularly Hispanics."

Geee....could that be due to the fact that the largest group of illegal immigrants entering the United States IN VIOLATION OF OUR LAWS is.....Hispanics.

Yep....that would be it alright.

RIDE ON RIDE FAST RIDE STRONG SOUTH CAROLINA!!

Americans support you and your brave stance at the state level....all de way to a signed enforcable law.

GO! GO! GO! GO!

Ooooh and BTW "immigration ADVOCATES"....start packin'. Your 501 C 3 LOBBYING "advocacy" "charity" days are soon to end. You are not supposed to be "advocating" in the Legislature. You are supposed to be buying some food; taking care of some children; and providing "charity". And we're gonna hold you accountable for "infuencing legislation and impacting public policy" in violation of our laws for charities.

Ooooh yeah. This is the United States. WE are the Americans and WE decide what happens here...and WE're just plain sick and tired of you people earnin' big salaries and workin' in big fancy office space messin' with our politics on taxpayer money....oooh yeah....that's OUR MONEY. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Grrrr!! Grrrrr!!

Thing ORANGE, "Advocates", as in Poor Fitting Jumpsuits That Make All Your Butts Look Big...yep...I'd start cleanin' out my desk and hittin' the road, "Jacks", before we pick you up and glue you to Orange and toss you in a cell with some veeeery interesting people for the rest of your miserable lives...TRAITORS!!

ORANGE...Prison Orange is SOOOOOO Ugly.

:P

Of course if you're in the county in Arizona where they put you up in "tents" in the DESERT, you wear HOT PINK...even if you're a GUY. Tee Hee!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I disagree vehemently with this. Why should we feed and clothe them for five years--even in orange prison suits? Send them home unless they have done something hienous and, if that is the case, put them on death row without appeal.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Whoooaa, did I hear a shot fired in the area of Ft Sumpter... Stand the line South Carolina.

Hey Junius...I'm not sure we can deport America Citizens....legally that is....but wait....why bother with little "legalities"...we'll just call it EXILE!!

Good One Junius!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Illegal immigrants would spend five years in prison and lose their cash and cars under legislation a Charleston lawmaker is pushing.
    The above statement was what I was responding to with vehement disagrement. LOL The first word is "illegal." Why should we support them for five years?

And if they can't deport legal citizens how are they going to oust the 3 time losers on the DUI law clause in 4437? Once they give them those work visas, they are legal.