Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Charlotte: Pledge of Allegiance Spoken in Spanish

There is some concern involving the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools and the Pledge of Allegiance.

The district held its first ever mid-year graduation ceremony at Ovens Auditorium Monday night.

During the ceremony, the Pledge of Allegiance was first read in English and then in Spanish. Many people sat down while it was read in Spanish and did not clap.

Parent Tom Davis is on North Mecklenburg High School's Leadership Team. Davis told WBTV that he has received several angry emails about this Tuesday.

Davis said he hopes CMS can improve its image with the community to get school bonds passed, but he says this doesn't help.

"I think it's divisive in the community and we don't need divisions in the community with the bond vote coming," he said.

CMS declined our request for an on-camera interview Tuesday afternoon, but a school spokesperson said standout Garinger High School student Jose Velasquez led the pledge.

His family emigrated to America and the main reason he was allowed to do a Spanish pledge is so they could understand him. A second reason was sensitivity to Spanish speakers.

WBTV's Tom Roussey has more details on why some people were upset with what happened.

http://www.wbtv.com/home/5421951.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Charlotte: Pledge of Allegiance Spoken in Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    His family emigrated to America and the main reason he was allowed to do a Spanish pledge is so they could understand him. A second reason was sensitivity to Spanish speakers.
    http://www.wbtv.com/home/5421951.html
    But one of the reasons wasn't so that Spanish speakers could learn OUR Pledge, right?!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

I wonder if his family "emigrated" here legally? They haven't learned english by now?

The people who sat down and didn't clap made their feelings known: Our Pledge of Allegiance should be recited in English only.

Charlotte: Pledge of Allegiance Spoken in Spanish

I was just wondering if they pledge allegiance to Mexico in English? I think not

Re: Charlotte: Pledge of Allegiance Spoken in Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by akhope
    I was just wondering if they pledge allegiance to Mexico in English? I think not
    I doubt it. I also doubt that Americans are sneaking over the border to Mexico to do the jobs that Mexican's wont do.

April
    Cindy wrote:

I doubt it. I also doubt that Americans are sneaking over the border to Mexico to do the jobs that Mexican's wont do.

Are you kidding me....
    Throughly angers the garbage out of me.
    What happened to let's learn this in ENGLISH.
    THis is the USA........NOT MEXICO or any country
    south of the border that speaks only spanish.

The Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish??? What are they thinking? Not surprising people sat down and didn't clap. Insulting and stupid.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    Jean wrote:

The Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish??? What are they thinking? Not surprising people sat down and didn't clap. Insulting and stupid.
    They are lucky people did not start throwing stuff. Hearing that would have been horrible to have to endure!

was just wondering if they pledge allegiance to Mexico in English?
    I was just wondering if they pledged to the Republic or the municipality in Spanish.
    "Liberty CANNOT be preserved without general knowledge among people" John Adams (August 1765)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast