Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Cheney Impeachment Resolution Sent to House Committee

Cheney Impeachment Resolution Sent to House Committee

The House voted today to send a resolution considering the impeachment of Vice President Cheney to the Judiciary Committee, a move that embarrassed Democratic leaders who were forced into the parliamentary tactic to avoid a floor debate on impeachment.

Led by Rep. Dennis Kucinich, the long-shot anti-war candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, scores of Democrats were joined by scores of Republicans in initially supporting a Kucinich resolution that would have prompted a full debate on impeaching Cheney.

Democratic leaders long ago rejected any consideration of impeaching Cheney and President Bush as an irresponsible move supported only by the far left, so they tried today to table Kucinich's impeachment resolution. After initially having more than enough votes to kill the resolution - the "yea" tally to table impeachment topped out at 291 - Republicans decided they had a chance to politically shame Democrats into a full debate on the sensitive issue. Republicans gleefully said they wanted the debate to show the public how many Democrats would actually support impeaching Cheney, which they consider a move supported only by a fringe element of anti-war activists.

More than 120 members, predominantly Republicans, then switched their votes in favor of holding a one-hour debate on the issue, with a final vote of 251-162 supporting a debate on impeachment. Rather than allow a debate fraught with political risk, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) moved to send the Kucinich resolution to the Judiciary Committee, whose chairman, Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), has publicly speculated about impeaching the president or vice president but has declined taking any action since taking the gavel in January.

Defusing any chance of an actual impeachment debate today, the House then voted 218-194 to send the motion to Conyers's committee, with Democrats overwhelmingly supporting the move.

Today's resolution from Kucinich (D-Ohio) was essentially the same as the legislation he introduced earlier this year, which included three articles of impeachment against Cheney based largely on allegations that he manipulated intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq war. The last article accuses Cheney of threatening "aggression" against Iran "absent any real threat."

"In all of this, Vice President Richard B. Cheney has acted in a manner contrary to his trust as Vice President, and subversive of constitutional government, to the prejudice of the cause of law and justice and the manifest injury of the people of the United States," Kucinich said on the floor today, reading his resolution. "Wherefore Richard B. Cheney, by such conduct, warrants impeachment and trial, and removal from office."

Kucinich, who had 22 co-sponsors for his articles of impeachment measure, predominantly members of the left leaning Out of Iraq Caucus, has been angry that Democratic leaders would not allow impeachment to be considered. He took to the floor today to offer his impeachment articles as a privileged resolution, which under the chamber rules can be offered by any member and must be considered within two days of its offering.

By Paul Kane | November 6, 2007; 4:55 PM ET
    Previous: AG nomination Drama Wanes in Senate, Perks Up in House | Next: UPDATE: Hoyer: "Impeachment .. not on our agenda"

CommentsPlease email us to report offensive comments.

Let's make sure that Cheney goes, then we can impeach Bush.

Posted by: Rick | November 6, 2007 05:06 PM

The movement to impeach is hardly "an irresponsible move supported only by the far left" - rather it is a necessary procedure to restore law and order to the executive branch that is supported by a growing contingent of Americans. Bravo to Kucinich and the other members of Congress who have the wherewithal to stand up to Bush, Cheney and Co.'s deceitful administration.

Posted by: ZEUS_IS_HERE | November 6, 2007 05:20 PM

Dennis Kucinich is right. It's time to hold the executive branch accountable and protect the Constitution. Let's not let bad presidents lead to bad precedence.

Posted by: jim long | November 6, 2007 05:26 PM

Cheney's crimes.. Don't forget Cheney directed the TREASONOUS outing of a covert CIA agent, and all the employees working in the CIA cover organization "Brewster Jennings".

Posted by: JBE | November 6, 2007 05:26 PM

If the Democrats had any courage, Bush and Cheney would have both been impeached by now and the war in Iraq would be over.

Posted by: Bob22003 | November 6, 2007 05:30 PM

It's all supposed to be a trade by Kucinich:

Grassley(as in grass) and the privildged elite farmers of the US not making room for the poor farmers of the world and, yes, it's cotton.

The wealthy, priviledged payers of the Environmental working group

http://www.ewg.org/about/staff

The poor farmers of the world and the very well paid employees(by a US government agency, PC) of the National Peace Corps Association

http://www.rpcv.org/pages/sitepage.cfm?id=1297

and those other agencies that all work together(jobs)

Kucinich is talking about priviledge. He has to be laughing. It should all blow back in the dems faces.

Posted by: FG | November 6, 2007 05:33 PM

You want Nancy Pelosi as your next commander in chief? California didn't want her, now Washington is stuck with her...I sure don't want her as president not vice president...she's abigger crook than most of them all.

Posted by: Hug | November 6, 2007 05:34 PM

It's about time. We life-long Democrats (not left-wing) have been waiting for someone to stand up for us and the country and the Constitution. Kudos to Dennis Kucinich and his 22 co-sponsors - true profiles in courage!

Posted by: Pat Peoples | November 6, 2007 05:43 PM

Down with Bush & Cheney Co!

Posted by: Shawn Hyde | November 6, 2007 05:43 PM

Suck IT! Cheaney

Posted by: Freakzilla | November 6, 2007 05:45 PM

What's embarrassing about this? This administration is probably the most deserving of impeachment in the history of the US. Democratic congress... you are truly useless.

Posted by: Jon | November 6, 2007 05:46 PM

A recent poll shows more than 50% of the public believe Cheney should be impeached. It is a mainstream sentiment in the public, and not the exclusive domain of a left wing fringe.

Fascinating that the impeachment articles in the Post are at the top of the "most viewed" list, but that one must navigate a labyrinth of links to find the updates.

CNN has no mention whatever of any of this. Very telling.

Posted by: Beezer | November 6, 2007 05:47 PM

IMPEACHMENT....like a breath of fresh air!

Posted by: YWS | November 6, 2007 05:47 PM

Go Dennis! You are a true brave American, thank you for speaking for the People. Imeach Cheney, he is a criminal, a murderer, a liar and a war profiteer.

Posted by: av | November 6, 2007 05:48 PM

I really don't understand why the Democratic leadership is so spineless. The White House does not negotiate. They only know the bomb. So, why would they even bother to take the high road here? Get out there and impeach the vice president. It'll only help their election chances down the road.

Posted by: superyeadon | November 6, 2007 05:49 PM

What world do you live in? The idea that impeaching Dick Cheney is "an irresponsible move supported only by the far left" is divorced from reality. The July 2007 ARG poll found that 54% of Americans support "beginning impeachment proceedings against Vice President Dick Cheney". Is it your contention that 54 percent represents a "fringe element of anti-war activists"?

You really should be fired.

Posted by: FullOfCrp | November 6, 2007 05:50 PM

Our officials have sworn to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution. Kucinich actually stood up to do so.

Posted by: Publicus | November 6, 2007 05:51 PM

I disagree with any political act of non courage by the democrats. Let's haul Cheney in front of public opinion and put the facts on the table. He ought to be impeached. He is far worse than Richard Nixon. He gets rich while America's young die in Iraq.

where are the democrats that used to represent the common people?

Posted by: bobby Taylor | November 6, 2007 05:51 PM

How is it exactly that you know they felt embarrassed? Did you use the force?

Who was embarrassed, specifically?

Posted by: Mind Reader | November 6, 2007 05:51 PM

throw the bastards out!

Posted by: tdp | November 6, 2007 05:53 PM

The Bush administration had the audacity to claim that the Vice Presidential office is not part of the Executive Branch. Let me think about this... I know from my government class in HIGH SCHOOL that the Vice President is part of the Executive Branch. Cheney should be impeached because of his violations of the Constitution on civil liberties and his denial of the public's right to know how their taxmoney is being spent.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/ ... ney22.html

Posted by: Jay | November 6, 2007 05:54 PM

If the Resolution to impeach were sent to the American people rather than to the House Committee, we wouldn't still be having this debate. Not that it is much of a debate since Speaker Pelosi took it off of the table from day one. Speaker Pelosi has accomplished nothing through this reconcilliatory act, and is certainly not speaking for the people. Move to start the proceedings, or move aside, Speaker.

Posted by: Rick/Sneads Ferry, NC | November 6, 2007 05:54 PM

Hey AV. Yet to see or meet ANY POLITICIAN who wasn't a crook, criminal, liar, murderer or profiteer off any public policy. Read the article in USA TODAY about how the dems and their families have been "skimming off" farm subsidies for all these years ?????

TRUST NONE OF THEM !!

Posted by: billy | November 6, 2007 05:55 PM

Impeachment for Cheney -- a refreshing breath of fresh air! Thank you, Congressman Kucinich!

For Cheney: impeachment first, followed by a long, long stretch in prison!

Posted by: Tom in California | November 6, 2007 05:56 PM

I agree: This is mainstream, not leftwing. I've never marched or protested in my life. I'm not a political activist in any sense of the word. I'm a businessman and a pragmatist. My only "radical" attribute is the inclination to read, not just newspapers, but magazines, and, gasp, history. Bush Cheney are the worst. They are a threat to our constitution, our national security, and our way of life. Impeach Cheney now. Save Bush for later.

Posted by: Kesey Seven | November 6, 2007 05:56 PM

I am ecstatic today! It's been said many times on this blog, but let me say one more time that the "far-left" are not those calling for this impeachment. Americans who are demanding the impeachment of this administration are those who are outraged by the blatant, vicious violation of human rights across the globe. GO DENNIS! Thanks to those 22 who backed him.

Posted by: SS | November 6, 2007 05:57 PM

The Neo-Cons have infiltrated both major parties and the parties have become wings of the same political Neo-Con agenda.

Let it be said, we are in the one party system they warned us about long ago. Save a few courageous people from both the left and right, most people in government now owe their allegiance not to country but to New World Order groups like the Council on Foreign Relations.

Look it up; Hillary, Bush and Guliani have the same believes and support the same causes. Hillary has supported Bush in all aspects. Question why our civil liberties have eroded and the Democrat leadership has done nothing.

Personally, I'm supporting Ron Paul, but would welcome Kucinich as a candidate for the Democrats.

Restore the Republic!

Boris M

Posted by: Boris M | November 6, 2007 05:57 PM

We need Dictator Bush, Cheney Halliburton, Rumsfeld and Betrayus tried for treason... with all possible penalties for treason on the plate.
    Cheers,
    Lori R. Price
    Mgr., Citizens For Legitimate Government
    http://www.legitgov.org/

"Hi, mom, this is Mark Bingham... you believe me, don't you?" Mark Bingham - Sept. 11, 2001
    http://www.legitgov.org/9_1_1_oddities.html

Posted by: Lori Price, www.legitgov.org | November 6, 2007 05:57 PM

This just goes to show how nuts some in government are. Kucinich is a freakin' kook! If this wasn't embarassing, then why no debate? No one in government today has any bal ls!

Posted by: Bob | November 6, 2007 05:58 PM

Has the post reported on ANY polls about how we the people feel regarding deadeye dick's demise?
    I have seen 54% bandied about. I know most polls are complete propagandistic brainwashing horsefeathers and the post is a tool of the oligarchy but come on.......the man is a menace to our planet and our species. He is currently salivating over Iran and WW3.
    House Resolution 333 clearly spells out several impeachable offenses. We all know there are many more(VPlame, going personally to the CIA to strong arm false analysis pre-Iraq, torture, evesdropping, when the investigations start and subpeonas are flying fast n furious, rats squeal to save their butts....we know most of these crimes against humanity and our constitution will turn out to have originated from Veep's office. Bottom line...he is guilty of treason. At a time of war that is a capital offense. Dont worry dick.....lethal injection is not humane.....we got a nice thick rope and a sturdy ol oak tree 4 ya!!!

Posted by: prince of peace | November 6, 2007 05:58 PM

Maybe it's time Americans found out what their leaders in Congress are made from. It would be nice to know who does and who does not believe in democracy, wouldn't it?

Posted by: TBM | November 6, 2007 06:00 PM

Cheaney and his fellow profiteers have abused the trust of CIA agents and diplomats with false exposures and treason.
    Treason is when you (political leader)expose any of your government employees or thier contacts during military action to the enemy and they or thier network of contacts have the potentional to be harmed. Cheaney is guilty of inaction (ommission)at the least!

Posted by: Mr. | November 6, 2007 06:00 PM

By the way, he'll be pardoned after the impeachment anyway. Kinda like one big circle jerk--and the head jerk is in the Oval Office.

Posted by: TBM | November 6, 2007 06:02 PM

The embarrassed Democratic leaders are not leaders whatsoever of any kind. Kudo's to the leadership of the Kucinich 21 who finally showed some cajones to speak the truth on the House Floor today! Thank you Rep. Kucinich for doing the will of the people. 75% are against the lawlessness, Treason of the present Administration, who think they are above the law. This is only the first step. I for one contacted my congressmember and advised them that their vote on impeachment will be followed and determine my future vote and support for them the next election. It's about the constitution and who is willing to support the law of the land.

Posted by: Elvis1 | November 6, 2007 06:02 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ajax

Operation Ajax.

Look it up!

British Petroleum (BP) approached the United States presidents to stage a coup in the same region we speak of today.

Verified by NSA.

Posted by: | November 6, 2007 06:03 PM

Big kudos for one of the true patriots in Congress. Thank you Dennis Kucinich for helping make the voices of Americans heard. Shame on those in Congress who simply don't care about anything but their political well-being.

Posted by: Billy | November 6, 2007 06:04 PM

Dennis Kucinich is a true patriot and brave to stand up to the sinister villainry of Dick Cheney. He's the only candidate who deserves my vote. I'm sick and tired of the cowardly spineless Congressmen who are derilict in their duty to uphold the Constitution. Take note of all who voted against his resolution. May this cost all of them their bids for re-election.

I notice the mainstream news media didn't think this resolution was newsworthy enough to mention. Cheney and Bush have committed more treasonous acts and crimes against humanity than any other administration in the history of this country. They should have been impeached and imprisoned a long time ago.

Thanks for showing courage, Dennis!

Posted by: Scott | November 6, 2007 06:06 PM

Thank you Dennis, and even more thanks to all of you here who have stood up to be counted.

It is extremely disconcerting to witness the Democratic party's sell out and lack of integrity in yet another opportunity to "tell it like it is", rather than fear for their political lives.

Hopefully, their constituents will recognize these politicians for what they are and repay that "fear" with replacement.

Posted by: HumorMonger | November 6, 2007 06:07 PM

A presidential pardon after an impeachment is actually not possible - the only exception to the (too) wide-reaching power of presidential pardon. Read Article II, Section 2: "The President... shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

Posted by: AM | November 6, 2007 06:09 PM

Yes! Another vote here for this MAINSTREAM move. Hardly far-left. The Democratic Party has no soul and no cajones, while the Republican crooks get away with murder (literally - e.g. Blackwater).

First Cheney, then Bush. This country needs an enema!

Posted by: Emanuel | November 6, 2007 06:12 PM

Judging by , popularity,and resolve,the democrats have failed Only The progressive democrats,are relating,to a majority of americans.GET IT!

Posted by: armand agresti | November 6, 2007 06:12 PM

Impeach Cheney, he is a criminal, a murderer, a liar and a war profiteer. AV said it above, but expressed my opinion perfectly. What is embarrassing is that this Congress ISN'T doing anything about impeachment. Dennis Kucinich is a hero, the likes of Paul Wellstone. We need someone to speak for the majority, and the majority wants to see this administration pay for their transgressions.

Posted by: Mag | November 6, 2007 06:14 PM

Hopefully it will go beyond impeachment - Nuremburg II is quite in order.

Posted by: truth seeker | November 6, 2007 06:14 PM

Despotism at it's finest. Thankyou Democrats. You let this happen because your cowering to the GOP. Nancy Pelosi.. Absolutely pathetic. Democrats are really showing that they are week.

Posted by: Dan | November 6, 2007 06:15 PM

Dick and his puppet are simply happy to see the end of their term quickly nearing without impeachment because their executive privilege will prohibit, until 40 years after their death, any investigation of criminal activities and conspiracies they were involved in during their rampant 8 years in office.

Now see why all the fuss about impeachment? No??? Oh, well.

Posted by: Terminator | November 6, 2007 06:18 PM

I am a registered Republican and I voted for Bush in 2000, and I fully support the impeachment of Cheney, which I'd like to see followed up by the impeachment of Bush. I'd also like to see some increased scrutiny of the laws they may have violated to date (illegal wiretapping, use of torture, leaking the name of covert agents, etc). When I originally voted for these people, I was under the impression that I was helping elect a pro-small-government, devout Christian conservative patriot, not the war mongering government-expanding traitors that we ended up with. I probably won't be voting for a democrat in the next election, but I certainly will not be voting for anyone who supports the status quo. Take note Romney and Giuliani.

Posted by: Roland Artemis | November 6, 2007 06:18 PM

Far-left? Or the voice of Americans. They both need to go. Now.

Posted by: Coco | November 6, 2007 06:20 PM

No question about it, Cheney should be impeached. This just shows how little resolve the mainstream Dems have. They are so afraid to seam "divisive" (a funny smear, considering the fact that Bush, Cheney, and Co. are probbly the most divisive administration ever) that they won't take a stand.

Posted by: rc | November 6, 2007 06:20 PM

wow - they're out tonight.

Posted by: jegjr | November 6, 2007 06:21 PM

The Republicans only outsmarted themselves. In the end the Dems put this back in the judiciary committee where Conyers and his staff have been investigating Cheney's crimes for years. Not a happy day at Blair House or the Bat Cave.

Posted by: longwalksinparis.blogspot.com | November 6, 2007 06:21 PM

What really ought to happen is the leader of another country ought to file charges in The Hague against Cheney and Bush, for crimes against humanity.

Posted by: True Believer | November 6, 2007 06:21 PM

Impeachment isn't a left-wing fringe issue, it is desired by the majority of U.S. citizens. Time for Congress to stand up for our Constitution.

Posted by: Jistis | November 6, 2007 06:21 PM

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitol- ... ution.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's a shame that we can't impeach him for accidently shooting his buddy while pheasant hunting.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Great news!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope they add Bush to the list too.