http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... e1224.html

CHEROKEE COUNTY: Illegals find they have some allies

By Shelia M. Poole
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/24/06

Rich Pellegrino has an unusual message to Latino immigrants who are here illegally.

Welcome to Georgia.

It's no mistake.

Pellegrino, the grandson of Italian immigrants, said he's been disappointed by recent actions taken by Cherokee County and Georgia legislators to crack down on illegal immigrants. So one recent Saturday, Pellegrino and four of his eight children stood on local street corners holding pink signs saying "Welcome Latinos" and "Bienvenidos Latinos."

The sight drew mixed reactions. Some people frowned or drove by stone-faced. Others honked their horns in solidarity. One Latino passenger in a passing car waved and mouthed the words "thank you" before the car sped off.

"I want to demonstrate that there are white and black Americans who do not share the fears of Latino immigrants expressed in the media," he said. "There's a silent majority who are happy Latino immigrants are here in our cities and towns. "

He hopes to enlist others in his campaign, but it won't be an easy job.

Georgia has become a key battlefield in the fight against illegal immigration. Earlier this year, Gov. Sonny Perdue signed into law a new measure that would, among other things, require that governments verify the legal status of any adult applying for many taxpayer-provided benefits.

In Cherokee County, commissioners recently approved ordinances declaring English the county's official language and targeting landlords who rent to illegal immigrants. Several groups have said they plan to sue.

And recently, state Rep. Timothy Bearden (R-Villa Rica) filed legislation that would require Georgia —- and all its cities and counties —- to issue official forms in English only.

Pellegrino, 52, who practices the Bahai faith, said he grew up in the civil rights movement and participated in marches in Washington and elsewhere. The recent controversy inspired him to "dust off my activist boots" and get involved.

He said he does support some kind of immigration reform, perhaps involving a guest worker program.

Mona, one of his daughters, said she came out to show her support for her dad.

"And it's for a good reason," she said. "I've never not gotten a job because of a Latino got the job."

Pellegrino and his clan had been outside an hour when he was approached by Eudaldo Alarcon, who is originally from Mexico but has lived in the United States for more than three decades.

"I think it's cool that somebody is doing something," said Alarcon, who works at a nearby business.

But is it enough to change anyone's mind on such a contentious issue?

Alarcon shrugged.

"If you do it long enough, maybe it will."

Pellegrino said he hopes the message will have an even greater meaning this month "especially in this season when there was another uninvited guest who couldn't find room at the inn."

~~~~~~

Pellegrino needs to take a tour of the border states for a reality check.