nntrixie wrote:

I am not against the fence - totally. I am against thinking it will solve all our problems - it won't.
No one, absolutely no one, has suggested a fence is going to solve all our problems. For the life of me, I can't even understand why you would say such a thing. As I've said repeatedly, the fence is only part of the equation. I think we're all intelligent enough to know there is no single magical solution. It's going to take a combination of things.

Why is everyone falling for this crumb the government is throwing us?
Who exactly are you addressing as "everyone." To my knowledge no one is falling for any crumbs. As I said before, the American people are demanding that our borders be secured. Trust me, the government isn't throwing us anything. Actually, they are fighting us all the way on building the 854-mile double-layered fence that is law. Can't you see that?

The fence is supposed to be 854 miles - at 1 mile a day - how long will that take?
Hunter has promised to build the fence in six months. So, I assume it can be built in six months. I definitely have no reason to believe he's a liar. The fence is moving slowly because Chertoff isn't serious about building it. Of course we all know that. He would much rather have a virtual fence. I think more than anything the fence deal is a test of will. Are we going to let Chertoff and Bush's will win out over ours? The fence is the law, and we have every right to expect it to be built.

Then they have to comdemn people's land - land they have refused to protect for 30 years - yet they don't mind taking it and giving it to Mexico.
As said in my earlier post, no one is giving Mexico anything. Are you suggesting that just because something hasn't been done in 30 years that it can't, or shouldn't, be done now? Sure it can, but the voting masses have to demand it.

In the meantime, nothing is being done on the interior - outside of a few, very, very publicized raids and we don't know how many of those have been deported.
I don't know what has given you the impression that only one thing can be done at a time. There is such a thing as multi-tasking. Besides that, I'm sure our interior law enforcement branch of DHS has nothing to do with building fences. If interior enforcement isn't meeting our expectations (which it isn't), than that is an issue that must be addressed separately from the fence. There is no magic wand to wave, and there is no one single act that will solve the illegal immigrant/border security crisis we're faced with.

It's the law that the illegals can't be here, can't work, can't get freebies, can't drive - yet our government is doing less than nothing about that.
So why can they build a fence - but not simply enforce the laws?
You seem to be under the impression that they are just clicking along on the fence. Well, if you haven't noticed, they aren't. They're dragging their feet on it just as they have interior enforcement. Most of us aren't as naive as you seem to think.

Could it be because they don't intend for it to do any good?

If we don't learn to doubt the government - we are lost.
This is not about doubting the government. It's about fighting for what we believe!