Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chicago alderman among 32 arrested at immigration protest

Chicago alderman among 32 arrested at immigration protest

As part of a budding nationwide campaign of civil disobedience, nearly three dozen immigration reform advocates were arrested today after marching to the Chicago office of a federal agency and blocking the front doors.

Shouting "legalization not deportation" and hoisting signs that read "Boycott Arizona," a crowd of about 200 protestors gathered outside the offices of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and refused to move despite requests from Department of Homeland Security officers.

Among the 32 protestors detained was Ald. George Cardenas (12th).

"Today is a historic moment," Cardenas said in a speech to the group at Federal Plaza, where the march began. "A moment where millions of Latinos, our people, languish in the shadows of our society."

The protesters hope to pressure Congress and the Obama administration to take up proposed immigration reforms this year, an effort energized by Arizona's recent crackdown on illegal immigrants. A new Arizona law requires police to stop suspected illegal immigrants and demand proof of residence. Proponents say it will keep undocumented immigrants out of the state; opponents argue that it will lead to racial profiling.

On Monday in New York City, 37 people, including a city councilwoman, were arrested after blocking traffic in lower Manhattan.

Those arrested in Chicago Tuesday were handcuffed by the DHS officers and led into the building. They received tickets for failing to comply with the officers' orders, and each received citations for $175 each, according to protesters.

-- Cynthia Dizikes

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...n-protest.html
    I would never be so arrogant as to move to another country and expect them to change for me.

"Today is a historic moment," Cardenas said in a speech to the group at Federal Plaza, where the march began. "A moment where millions of Latinos, our people, languish in the shadows of our society."
    OUR people? Excuse me, I thought this was AMERICA. When did Chicago become part of Latin America? All these politicians (however minor) that put Latino's or Hispanics ( whatever they are called today) first, need to join their "people" on the other side of the border!

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    OUR people? Excuse me, I thought this was AMERICA. When did Chicago become part of Latin America? All these politicians (however minor) that put Latino's or Hispanics ( whatever they are called today) first, need to join their "people" on the other side of the border!
    true enough ... THEIR people are SUPPOSE to be american citizens ....

Quote Originally Posted by nomas
    my thoughts exactly and we wonder who the real racists are