Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Chicago police arrest 81 in overnight raids, mostly for drug and weapons offenses

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chicago police arrest 81 in overnight raids, mostly for drug and weapons offenses

Chicago police arrest 81 in overnight raids, mostly for drug and weapons offenses

• By DAVID CAPLAN

Feb 25, 2017, 4:24 AM ET

The Chicago Police Department conducted a series of overnight raids from Thursday into Friday that resulted in 81 arrests, mostly for drug- and weapons-related offenses, Supt. Eddie Johnson said Friday.

The raids, focused on the city's South and West Side neighborhoods, were "focused on the underlying source of crime in these areas: the sale of narcotics," Johnson said at a press conference Friday afternoon.

Of the 81 people arrested, Johnson said 61 are previously convicted felons, 49 are documented gang members, 19 have previously been arrested on gun charges, 14 are currently on parole, and 65 have been previously identified by police to be at a higher risk to be a victim or offender of gun violence.

"There are repeat gun offenders that one, don't care they're on parole, two, don't care about the fact they're already previously convicted felons," Johnson said.

Police are still looking for 40 people targeted in the raids, and said another raid in the coming weeks will have federal assistance.

View image on Twitter

Follow

Anthony Guglielmi
    @AJGuglielmi

CPD oonducted overnight raids, 81 arrests. 62 were convicted felons & 14 on parole selling drugs. 19 arrested before for guns. Briefing @ 3p
    8:08 AM - 24 Feb 2017

Twelve firearms were also seized by police during the raids, Johnson said.

Anthony Riccio, chief of organized crime, said, "One of the guns we took off the street ... is actually a machine gun capable of firing 40 to 50 rounds in just a matter of seconds."

Johnson added, "We are almost double in gun arrests than we were the same time last year -- that's a ridiculous number."

Drugs were also seized in the raids, which had been planned for about three weeks.

"Narcotics and narcotic sales is the thing that allows the buying of guns," Riccio said.

Johnson urged lawmakers at every level of government to help with stemming Chicago's seemingly out of control gun violence.

"CPD can do better, our judicial system can do better, our state legislators can do better. It takes all of us," he said. "If you're OK every day sitting by watching these people die and that's OK with you, then good luck on that. But if you care at all, you should be helping the city do something about this violence."

Johnson said stricter punishment for repeat gun offenders would stem the violence, because possible offenders would know the severity of the consequences and act as a deterrent from picking up a gun in the first place.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/chicago-pol...ors_picks=true

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Where are the illegal alien raids?
    Last edited by lorrie; 02-26-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty
    by joining our E-mail Alerts athttp://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gang members are a great start for Chicago. I am sure there are many illegals that got arrested, Now if they hold them will be a different thing by the sounds of the court system and legislatures.

It sounds like they focused on "gun control" more than they did anything else.

Good getting the gang members though.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Police are still looking for 40 people targeted in the raids, and said another raid in the coming weeks will have federal assistance.
    Glad to see the feds assisting. Hopefully they will help Chicago keep their eyes on the ball which is to do something about these awful murders and shootings. Maybe focusing on bad guys with guns will lead to some charges for some of those murders.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Chicago is a sanctuary city

Yeah, I'm sure all the arrests are black Americans. Odd they didn't report on that, isn't it? All we hear all day is who is Muslim, who is Hispanic, who is Syrian or Somalian, or Jewish ... never do we hear about the massive arrests of black Americans. Feds will get to the bottom of this. I seriously doubt very many of those arrested were any but black Americans. Be nice if the MSM wasn't so focused on Trump and was actually reporting on this aspect. Did you catch this statement:

and 65 have been previously identified by police to be at a higher risk to be a victim or offender of gun violence.
    Why would you target high risk "victims" of gun violence for a raid who might have or need a gun to protect and defend themselves? Strange isn't it? I found that to be a very odd statement.

65 of 81 ... that's a vast majority. Maybe there's a reason, trying to stop retaliation perhaps? I dunno, but definitely needs further investigation and reporting.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure all the arrests are black Americans. Odd they didn't report on that, isn't it? All we hear all day is who is Muslim, who is Hispanic, who is Syrian or Somalian, or Jewish ... never do we hear about the massive arrests of black Americans. Feds will get to the bottom of this. I seriously doubt very many of those arrested were any but black Americans. Be nice if the MSM wasn't so focused on Trump and was actually reporting on this aspect. Did you catch this statement:

Why would you target high risk "victims" of gun violence for a raid who might have or need a gun to protect and defend themselves? Strange isn't it? I found that to be a very odd statement.

65 of 81 ... that's a vast majority. Maybe there's a reason, trying to stop retaliation perhaps? I dunno, but definitely needs further investigation and reporting.
    Why does it matter their race or nationality? Did you really expect them to identify the race of the 81 arrested immediately after the raids? That's not something I looked for or expected. That information may come later, but I didn't expected it to be reported on right away. Personally I don't care what the race or nationality, just as long as they're getting criminals off the street.

I agree that the comment was a little odd in its construction. However, I assume these "high risk victims" are gang members that carry illegal weapons for protection from members of other gangs. IMO, that makes sense.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I would expect a number of the murders and shootings in Chicago, "sanctuary city", are illegal alien gang related, but I've a terrible feeling none of those people were arrested. Yes, here at ALIPAC, we're very interested in and expect to know the nationality of those arrested so we know if these "criminals" are illegal aliens, refugees, or other non-citizens. At least we always have been interested in such, especially if they have priors and need ICE detainers, have been previously deported and so forth.

It looks to me like the raids were all gun control issues.
    Last edited by Judy; 02-26-2017 at 04:07 PM.

MW
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I would expect a number of the murders and shootings in Chicago, "sanctuary city", are illegal alien gang related, but I've a terrible feeling none of those people were arrested. Yes, here at ALIPAC, we're very interested in and expect to know the nationality of those arrested so we know if these "criminals" are illegal aliens, refugees, or other non-citizens. At least we always have been interested in such, especially if they have priors and need ICE detainers, have been previously deported and so forth.

It looks to me like the raids were all gun control issues.
    This all goes with the "prioritize" thing. Anyone that keeps up with the national news knows Chicago has a serious gun violence problem. Getting guns off the streets and those folks illegally possessing them seems to be high priority right now. Of course we're (ALIPAC members) very interested in illegal immigrant arrest, but unfortunately not every police force or reporter is going to care what our interest are.

The article reported Chicago PD had federal assistance. I assume those assisting were DEA agents, however, it's possible there were a few ICE agents involved too. The article was very vague on federal law enforcement involvement.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast