Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Chomsky daughter compares treatment of illegal immigrants to

Chomsky daughter compares treatment of illegal immigrants to that of slaves

MetroWest Daily News
    By John Hilliard
    October 7, 2009

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. — A college professor had harsh words Tuesday for the nation's handling of immigration, drawing parallels to the treatment of illegal immigrants with America's history of slavery.

"The people who are illegal immigrants are no different than anyone else," Aviva Chomsky, a Salem State College professor, told students at Framingham High School. "The government passed a law (that says) they are different."

Chomsky, the oldest daughter of political activist and MIT professor Noam Chomsky, is the author of six books, including one aimed at dispelling what she calls the myths surrounding immigration in America. She spoke before hundreds of students during an assembly yesterday morning, and focused on the claims that immigrants take jobs away from Americans and don't pay taxes.

She said as more people enter the country to live here, more jobs are generated to meet the demand for services.

"People always come to the U.S. because there's a demand for labor ... everyone who comes here, comes to work," she said.

The share of immigrants in the state's labor force grew from 8.8 percent in 1980 to 17 percent in 2004, according to the Malden-based Immigrant Learning Center, which in June released a report on immigrants' role in the Bay State's economic development.

By 2007, immigrants made up more than 21 percent of the state's workers between the ages of 25 to 44, which means more immigrants will take on more jobs as older workers age and retire, according to the learning center's report.

To live here legally, immigrants have to apply for a permanent resident card - or serve in the military for at least a year - before applying for citizenship. The agency estimates it can process an application for citizenship within five months, according to its Web site.

The agency's Boston field office had about 5,000 applications for citizenship in July, and nearly 3,000 more for permanent resident status, according to its Web site.

Chomsky drew a parallel between the nation's handling of immigration with the enslavement of African-Americans about 150 years ago, and said in both cases, the government decided that some people had rights and others had none.

Some employers take advantage of immigrants who are here illegally by paying low wages in cash, while some illegal immigrants fake Social Security numbers to get a better job.

Because their pay has state and federal taxes taken out, but they are here illegally, those people pay into services they can't make use of, said Chomsky.

"They lie to be able to pay taxes and have access to a job," she said.

At Framingham High, about 1,200 of its 8,136 students have limited English proficiency, and about 10 percent of the student body is enrolled into some form of English language program.

"It's Framingham. It's always been an immigrant town," said Maria T. Carollo Figueroa, chairwoman of the school's world languages department.

Carollo Figueroa teaches Italian and that her family immigrated from Italy to Wyoming in 1956.

She said she talks about the negative attitudes toward immigrants historically, such as accusations during World War II that Italian-Americans were fascists while the U.S. was at war with Italy.

She invited Chomsky to the high school after meeting her at the Brazilian Women's Group in Cambridge.

"My comment to (students) is, immigrants always look better 50 years in hindsight," she said.

Senior Patrick Greeley said students don't talk much about immigration, illegal or otherwise, but his friends remain receptive to it.

"In my circle of friends, (we're) very open to immigration," said Greeley.

Mia Cross, another senior, agreed there isn't a lot of discussion about immigration, but students know many of their classmates are from other countries.

Zach Bloomstein, a junior, said he liked what Chomsky talked about yesterday.

"She thinks everyone comes here with a purpose" to help build the country, he said.

John Hilliard can be reached at 508-626-4449 or john.hilliard@cnc.com.

Comments:

OhioGirl:

Report Abuse - Are you kidding me!!! When did being forced to a new land, stripped of your language, culture, enslaved against your will have to do with people who knowinly and willingly enter the US without prior approval!!

I understand the history of this county all too well and feel the US Government should definitely assist in the rebuilding of Mexico and other Latin Nations (especially after NAFTA's fiasco) but pelase, please stop riding the graving train with the tired *** comparison of Blacks and 'undocumented immigrants'

I do agree to 'some' similarities but when all was said and done....The Africans now 'Black Americans' had no home country to go back to, no language to continue, no culture to pass onto their children. Also, the last I checked they didn't have to look up to see one of their own hanging from a tree, last I checked they did not have to use the 'Illegal Immigrant section', or their man hood stripped from them. There used to be an old saying in the South...'Black get back and Brown stick around'.

Have undocumented immigrants suffered yes, are they owed something from our Government, in my opinion yes, but should be allowed to disregard laws set to protect US Citizens and Immigrants, I say no. There are valuable arguments on both sides but now I direct you to a recent study released yesterday http://www.brookings.edu/reports/2009/1 ... dtable.asp
    Let's move forward please! Thank You!

www.metrowestdailynews.com

I have been to her lecture. Using her personal belief and logic all seven billion people in the world have a right to live in the US and recieve public services.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So, while every other nation on the planet controls it's borders the United States of America just falls apart? Sure we can always use cheap labor that "builds our country" but then we could end up just like China with over a billion people living here, too.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

everyone who comes here, comes to work," she said.
    Hmm, just like those "workers" who came to destroy the World Trade Center? Generalize a bit much, lady?

By 2007, immigrants made up more than 21 percent of the state's workers between the ages of 25 to 44, which means more immigrants will take on more jobs as older workers age and retire, according to the learning center's report.
    No, when I retire I will need to be replaced by someone who speaks English.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"The people who are illegal immigrants are no different than anyone else," Aviva Chomsky, a Salem State College professor, told students at Framingham High School. "The government passed a law (that says) they are different."
    We can pass any law we wish that is to be respected by all in this country. That law says you need permission to be here, and without it you are a criminal.
    People always come to the U.S. because there's a demand for labor ... everyone who comes here, comes to work," she said.
    I guess chopping down national parks for pot plantations are jobs desperately needing filling.
    Just because she is a college professor does not necessarily mean she is able to think, cares about America first or has a whit of common sense.

Moving from Other Topics to News.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

Let the liberal idiots flit the cost of illegals.

The real slaves are the American tax payers.

"The people who are illegal immigrants are no different than anyone else,"
    Move to down town LA or any other area invaded by illegal aliens and live in the middle of it, send your children to their schools, just look for the graffi their not hard to find, then come back and give us your opinion! Stupid!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

"People always come to the U.S. because there's a demand for labor ... everyone who comes here, comes to work," she said.
    There's a demand for labor in China but I don't see anyone trying to go there.

Dixie

Tell it to the 9.8% unemployed nationwide. Or the nearly 20% in Michigan. Etc. etc. etc. Numbskulls like Chomsky and her father use the arguments they do because it is a way to get funding out of the US taxpayers and get support for their causes. The idea that they should go back and criticize the countries of origin for illegal aliens never occurs to them because it would not put money in their pockets or honorary degrees on their walls. I believe every professor like Chomsky should be replaced by an illegal alien. I doubt that it would hurt anyone academically, and it might just show those professors what it is like to be displaced unfairly. Illegally for that matter.
    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - POGO