Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Church leaders to rally in Dubuque for immigrants

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs. ... 29017/1001

Church leaders to rally in Dubuque for immigrants
    SHIRLEY RAGSDALE
    REGISTER STAFF WRITER

August 29, 2006

Church leaders will participate in a Dubuque rally and march for comprehensive immigration reform at noon Thursday at Washington Park.

The rally at the park at 600 Bluff Ave. is to demonstrate their shared vision for humane reform that will protect the dignity of immigrants, honor their contributions to the country and address the underlying causes of the broken immigration system.

The event is in response to "field hearings" being held as the U.S. House of Representatives on the issue of immigration.

Bishop Gregory V. Palmer of the Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church; Bishop Steven L. Ullestad of the Northeastern Iowa Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; Alan Garfield, past president of Temple Beth El, Dubuque; Sister Judy Callahan, director of Hispanic ministries for the Catholic Archdiocese of Dubuque and the Rev. Michael Swartz, pastor of Church of Peace, United Church of Christ in Rock Island, Ill., will participate.

They'll ask legislators to return to Washington and work with the Senate to pass reform legislation that represents the principles for reform shared by a wide variety of faith groups across the country.

“Scripture records God's call for the nation to care for the poor and the
    oppressed, the widow, the orphaned and the sojourner or immigrant,” said Bishop Ullestad.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Church leaders to rally in Dubuque for immigrants

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a

Bishop Gregory V. Palmer of the Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church
    this one is no surprise
    "Remember the Alamo!"

California or ground zero of the invasion
    Thought I would add this article since it is related to the hearings and protest.

http://www.radioiowa.com

Grassley will testify at hearing on immigration

by Matt Kelley

A U.S. House panel will hold a field hearing on immigration Friday in Dubuque. Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley says he will testify before the House Judiciary Committee during its only Iowa meeting on the subject. Grassley says he wants to speak out about why he voted against the immigration bill that passed the Senate earlier this year.

Grassley says "I'm going to be testifying on what I consider now a basic reason for voting against the 2006 immigration bill, based on my experience of 1986. I voted against the bill this year because of amnesty, in other words, legalizing illegal aliens being in America." Grassley, a Republican, says he learned from that experience that "When you reward illegality you get more illegality." He says it was a "mistake" to vote for amnesty two decades ago.

Grassley says "We had a one-million person illegal problem in 1986. Everybody said vote for amnesty. We'll take care of it. We even had speeches that I can quote from in '86 saying 'it's a one-time only situation,' and I was just wrong. They were wrong. We have a 12-million person problem now and I don't intend to repeat that." The hearing is slated to run from 9 A.M. to noon Friday at Dubuque's Grand River Center.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

United Methodist Church
    I read somewhere, but can't remember where, that any religion with United in it's name should be looked upon with suspicion.

“Scripture records God's call for the nation to care for the poor and the
    oppressed, the widow, the orphaned and the sojourner or immigrant
    It called on the churches and the people of those churches to not neglect those people, not the citizens of the Nation. Besides, they are already receiving more than the average citizen, so what's this "care for" garbage.....except to give them the keys to the vault. People were also admonished to "obey the laws of the land." Guess they forgot about that part!!

The church(es) need to stay out of politics. We are supposed to have a seperation of church and state. And that street goes both ways.

I think I am going to find some addresses and send out some letters on this one. I fully believe in treating every person as a person. Which also means that these illegals have no right to run all over us.

The blood and misery of every victim and family from a crime commited by an illegal alien is also on the shoulders of the church. Never once have I heard them or Latino leaders condemn the disruption in civility, morality, and ethics which this invastion has brought upon us. Not once.
    <div>"You know your country is dying when you have to make a distinction between what is moral and ethical, and what is legal." -- John De Armond</div>