Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Church shelters immigrant, feds vow to arrest her

Church shelters immigrant; feds vow to arrest her
    August 16, 2006

BY ESTHER J. CEPEDA AND KENDRICK MARSHALL Staff Reporters

Immigration activist Elvira Arellano sought refuge Tuesday in a small storefront church, just blocks from her apartment, hoping that the sanctity of a holy place would shield her from deportation.

Arellano, a 31-year-old illegal immigrant, was supposed to report to immigration authorities Tuesday morning but instead went to her pastor, the Rev. Walter "Slim" Coleman, a longtime social activist and minister at Adalberto United Methodist Church, 2176 W. Division.

"I knew my church wouldn't abandon me in my moment of desperation," Arellano said in Spanish.

Elvira Arellano and her 7-year-old son, Saul, are seeking sanctuary at Adalberto United Methodist Church. (SCOTT STEWART/SUN-TIMES)

Flanked by Coleman, formerly a driving force behind the Heart of Uptown Coalition that fought to empower poor people in the North Side neighborhood, and Emma Lozano, director of Centro Sin Fronteras (Center Without Borders), who staged a five-day hunger strike to bring a new school to the Little Village neighborhood, Arellano told 30 assembled supporters she had no fear.

"I'm strong, I've learned from Rosa Parks -- I'm not going to go to the back of the bus. The law is wrong."

By Tuesday evening, Arellano faced a long night of looking over her shoulder every time the bell jingled as the church's front door opened. She planned to tuck her 7-year-old son, Saul, into the twin bed of the tiny room above the church the two will share until the standoff is resolved.

"We'll stay here as long as necessary, until Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Dick Durbin introduce my private bill and approve my extension," Arellano said. She spent much of her day asking supporters to flood the senators' offices with demands for an intervention.

Both senators' staffs, however, said the only real solution to Arellano's problem is comprehensive immigration reform. "Frankly there are so many other people in a similar situation and we just cannot offer a private release bill to everyone," said Durbin spokeswoman Christina Angarola.

Arellano, feeling depleted from the stress and a cold, lamented that if she had to go back to Mexico she'd take her son with her, but that she was certain it wouldn't come to that.

"This village is raising its voice and making itself heard," said Arellano. "Our people are not the same as they were before -- we put [legislators] in office and the registered voters of this community can take them out."

'They'll have to face God'

Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Tim Counts said the government considers Arellano a fugitive who will be arrested in the future regardless of her location.

"We've been working with her attorney and immigration to make this as smooth as possible, but Mrs. Arellano has taken another path," Counts said. "We have the authority to arrest anyone in violation of U.S. law anywhere in the United States."

Meanwhile, Arellano reported a steady stream of supporters bringing food and offers of clothing and supplies for her and her son during their stay.

And she waits. "If they come for me in this place they'll have to face God. We have video cameras and we'll show how the federals violate the house of God."

ecepeda@suntimes.com

kmarshall@suntimes.com

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Does she get to play BINGO?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"If they come for me in this place they'll have to face God. We have video cameras and we'll show how the federals violate the house of God."
    Boy this is rich, hispanic gang members deface and vandalize churches nationwide, and now she is using the 'God' factor in her defense?
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Emma Lozano, director of Centro Sin Fronteras (Center Without Borders),
    Seems like they do believe in borders after all. Sorry, no borders at church doors in the US. This has been enforced in the past with bulldozers.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I'm strong, I've learned from Rosa Parks -- I'm not going to go to the back of the bus. The law is wrong."
    Sorry, this does not apply to you! I am so tired of this you wll meet your maker crap! You broke the law sweetie, it is time to pay the piper!
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

MW
    Arellano, feeling depleted from the stress and a cold, lamented that if she had to go back to Mexico she'd take her son with her, but that she was certain it wouldn't come to that.
    I wouldn't be so certain of that. Even people like Sen. "I love Illegals " Durbin knows better than to stick his nose in this hornet nest. I think members of Congress are finally starting to understand that the American people (citizens) will no longer tolerate interference in the enforcement of our laws (I hope so anyways). Remember, these people like their cushy government jobs and have no desire to commit political suicide.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Couple of solutions.

1) Give this criminal 24 hours to leave the church. If she does not come out, raze the church to the ground.

Too extreme?

2) Turn off city water and electrical feeds. Encircle and deny access to the church so that food and water can not be delivered. She comes out to be deported or she and her child will starve.
    Knowledge is Power Power corrupts Study hard Be Evil

Don't even go there. Lets see, Rosa Parks was an American citizen who was being discriminated against. You OTOH are an illegal alien who has no legal right to be here and therefore you have no civil rights. Go back to Mexico and fight for your civil rights there.

And she waits. "If they come for me in this place they'll have to face God. We have video cameras and we'll show how the federals violate the house of God."
    Go read the bible and see what God thinks about illegal immigration and obeying the laws of the land.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

To me this is yet another example of proof that there could never be a temporary plan of any sort that didn't have to include changes in anchor baby standings, real limited time, no family members included, no free school or ANYTHING. Coz when they get here they just won't friggen leave!!!! She's had her deal EXTENDED legally 4 times. That is AFTER she was caught working with illegal papers. She's used her son's birth and illness, which is no longer an issue (illness) to gain the sympathy of everyone......and now she's hiding out in a store front church with a questionalble "minister". Chicks gotta go!!!!

And the nerve of this witch to bring God and Rosa Parks in her plight....

"This village is raising its voice and making itself heard," said Arellano. "Our people are not the same as they were before -- we put [legislators] in office and the registered voters of this community can take them out."
    What does this mean?
    "Our people" - yes, the American people (eg. US Citizens, you mean?)
    "we put" - (same rant as above...)

And,
    "...registered voters of this community can take them out."
    "can take them out"? - Someone needs to impart the subtle nuance of the choice of words in this context. And she's been here 9 years...????

Also, I wonder how US Citizens would be treated had they: entered Mexico illegally, possessed false official documentation, worked without permission, had been arrested once or twice, and had helped organize unpopular politicallly-driven protests involving hundreds or thousands of others (after all, it IS a violation of Mexican law for 'foreigners' to engage in protest activities....?)
    (I think WE know the answer to the question...)

She doesn't want to recognize the importance of laws and boundaries when it is convenient to do so, but when it becomes inconvenient...
    what does she do?

Bye, Ms. Arellano - have a slow, hot, dirty, uncomfortable, bumpy trip back to Mexico - you've earned it.