Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OR: Churches could be sanctuaries for immigrants

Churches could be sanctuaries for immigrants

06:52 PM PDT on Friday, June 15, 2007

By DREW MIKKELSEN, kgw.com Staff

A North Portland immigration bust may end up giving future undocumented residents more support. Six Portland churches were already looking at joining a national effort to become sanctuaries for undocumented residents.

"These are some of the most vulnerable people," said Reverend Lynne Smouse Lopez, "They're seeking to earn money to survive."

Members of Rev. Lopez's church could vote to make her church, Ainsworth United Church of Christ, a sanctuary for illegal residents.

"We would provide housing in a church or in homes of members," said Rev. Lopez.

She thinks this week's raid raised awareness about the plight of immigrants and could inspire other churches to vote in favor of sanctuaries.

Background: Immigration raid highlights plant safety

Gresham's East Hill church will not become a sanctuary anytime soon.

"We feel sorry for those who have been displaced," said Pastor Ray Young, "But the Scripture makes it very clear we are to respect civil law."

How much protection a church sanctuary could offer is not clear.

A spokeswoman for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency said the current law allows federal agents to take people into custody anywhere and at anytime.

"But," she added, "We don't stake out churches."

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/k ... 7d52a.html

any church caught breaking immigration law and supporting illegals, should immediately have their tax free status removed. These churchs are committing crimes and supporting criminals.

If churches want to povide "sancuary" to people that have broken into this country illegally, then they should be totally responsible for them.

Such as, pay their medical bills, be responsible for them in court, provide their housing, sponsor them for green cards, and help them to become "legal" .

"But the Scripture makes it very clear we are to respect civil law."
    TIME TO PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!!!!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Oops, the writer of this piece forgot the ILLEGAL part of immigrants.

"These are some of the most vulnerable people," said Reverend Lynne Smouse Lopez, "They're seeking to earn money to survive."
    So are millions of American citizens! How about the homeless in Oregan, are you going to offer each and every one of them free room and board at your church? When it's time for handouts, shouldn't our homeless be first in line? Each time you give charity to an illegal immigrant, you deprive an American citizen that same helping hand.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Oops, the writer of this piece forgot the ILLEGAL part of immigrants. ?
    MW: Note that several other pieces that have been posted this morning have likewise ommitted the term 'illegal.' When I was trolling news sites for articles it appeared that there was an unusual positive slant in them.
    Look at the article in the link below.

http://www.alipac.us./modules.php?name= ... ic&t=68852

I think the people of this country should walk away from their church if they declare themselves a sanctury church, let the church support the illegals with out your help and money!! They are breaking the law and right now in this country of chaos and anarchy we must demand our laws be enforced!If this includes turning against your church, so be it!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All you LOOKIE LOU"S out there in the backround yes you! COME ON GET INVOLVED!! If you have a question or need help just ask! one of these wonderful ALIPAC members will get back to you!! AND A BIG WELCOME!!
    "RED ALERT"
    We need a flood of 'No compromise" calls and e-mails into these Senate offices fast! Bush is bribing Republican TO PUSH S1348. Come on everyone time is crucial call all the senators not just your own.
    LETS ROLL!! you are the new patriots!

INSTRUCTIONS AND POSTING THREAD LINK BELOW!
    Leave posts so we know what they are saying!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... 388#387388
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I think the people of this country should walk away from their church if they declare themselves a sanctury church, let the church support the illegals with out your help and money!! They are breaking the law and right now in this country of chaos and anarchy we must demand our laws be enforced!If this includes turning against your church, so be it!!

About nine months ago, I stopped sending my monthly check to the church. I don't intend to deprive the church of my financial support but I will hold it in 'escrow' until this insanity stops. Our church (in a small southern town) set up a collection point for the day-workers and provided them with a breakfast. Then several of them started to just hang out in the church hall instead of going to work. The numbers increased until it reached about a dozen who were loitering there all day just lounging and watching t.v. etc. The ladies who regularly came to the church for meetings, to launder the altar cloths, cook for the priest, etc. stopped coming. Several of them reported untoward remarks made at them and said they were scared to come to the church during day-time hours. I could go on.

Sounds good to me. Round 'em all up & send them to these churches.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

About nine months ago, I stopped sending my monthly check to the church. I don't intend to deprive the church of my financial support but I will hold it in 'escrow' until this insanity stops. Our church (in a small southern town) set up a collection point for the day-workers and provided them with a breakfast. Then several of them started to just hang out in the church hall instead of going to work. The numbers increased until it reached about a dozen who were loitering there all day just lounging and watching t.v. etc. The ladies who regularly came to the church for meetings, to launder the altar cloths, cook for the priest, etc. stopped coming. Several of them reported untoward remarks made at them and said they were scared to come to the church during day-time hours. I could go on.
    This same thing happened at a HUD subsidized senior housing complex in Wickeburg, AZ. Only the residnets couldn't use the laundry facilities - that is where the coyotes were bringing them to "clean up" and do laundry before the next leg of their journey. Calling ICE did nothing.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn