Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

City asked to account for legality of workers

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 80318/1002

City asked to account for legality of workers
    Councilman says city should set an example

By LINDSAY RENICK MAYER
    LindsayRenickMayer@coloradoan.com

With immigration the buzz word at the federal and state levels, Fort Collins City Council member Kelly Ohlson is calling on the city to ensure its contractors and subcontractors employ only documented workers.

"I don't think the city should be a party, if indeed it's the case, of ignoring something that's a key issue of the day," Ohlson said. "The city should set an example."

With extensive and costly capital construction projects such as the new police headquarters building and Northside Aztlan Center progressing or coming up, the city has a responsibility to ensure its contractors and subcontractors comply with the law, Ohlson said.

At Ohlson's behest, council directed city staff Tuesday night to look into whether the city does more than simply ask contractors to sign a contract stating they follow state and federal law.

"That's not good enough for me," Ohlson said. "I want the city to have a process that all people contracting with it have actively pursued this and enforced it and ensured nobody working for them is an undocumented worker."

Although Ohlson said he's not sure there's an actual problem in Fort Collins, he said he wouldn't be surprised to discover there is. He'd like the city to take a more proactive role in determining that subcontractors and all other city employees are following the law.

City Manager Darin Atteberry said city staff is looking into procedures and practices and plans to report back to the council in the next two weeks. Mayor Doug Hutchinson said he looks forward to finding out whether this is a local issue and the city's role in enforcing the law.

"I think these are legitimate questions to ask," Hutchinson said. I don't know what the answers are, but I'll be interested to see."

But enforcing state and federal immigration laws might not be appropriate at the local level, said Paulette Hansen, director of human resources for the Neenan Company, the main contractor for the new police headquarters.

"How far is the city willing to go to police other people? There are agencies set up to do that," Hansen said. "Why burden the taxpayers with additional checks and balances?"

Hansen said their subcontractors employ their own workers.

"It's important to us they are complying with the law, but we don't have any reason to assume they're not," she said.

Originally published April 28, 2006
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This just goes to show that most Americans do not want this.
    Thank goodness for our local governments,who for the main part are going what they can to fix this mess.

Northside Aztlan Center

But enforcing state and federal immigration laws might not be appropriate at the local level, said Paulette Hansen, director of human resources for the Neenan Company, the main contractor for the new police headquarters.
    Hiring US citizens is your responsibility!

This could have something to do with it.
    Announcement from the Colorado Minutemen:

There will be a group of us gathering in opposition to a "pro-Illegal immigration" march to be held in Fort Collins on April 30. We will be meeting at the corner of Mulberry and College Ave. at 2 pm. Any and all that are concerned about this issue are welcome to attend. Spread the word. Bring signs and flags for support!!!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB2012
    Northside Aztlan Center

[quote:2e58nhaw]But enforcing state and federal immigration laws might not be appropriate at the local level, said Paulette Hansen, director of human resources for the Neenan Company, the main contractor for the new police headquarters.
    Hiring US citizens is your responsibility![/quote:2e58nhaw]

Aztlan? WTF?
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

4/28/06 Margate Florida

Hi,
    All the city jobs, Government and Courthouses in Florida should be checked for illegal Immigrants working there. If anyone lives in Florida they will know what I mean, none of them speak English, how the heck do they get hired.
    My husband and I are going to start and anyone that reads this can do it too. If i go to a store, a city building, a courthouse, a restaurant no matter where it is. If the person does not speak English I will ask for a supervisor and ask them if they will help me. I am not going to try to explain what I am there for and what I need a million times, I want someone that speaks English and that's it. I am tired of it, this is the United States of America and they all need to speak our Language.
    I am Italian , my Grandparents were born in Italy, when they came through Ellis Island they didn't get any help from this Government, they had to learn to speak, write and read English before they found any work, they didn't have a problem with that, they all learned English and all of them found jobs.
    Thanks
    SusieC
    Margate, Florida

IL: "The Most Corrupt State in The Country outside of Mexico"
    This Country will not last much longer with these crooked politicians.
    "IMPEACH JORGE BUSH NOW!!"