http://www.theleafchronicle.com

Illegals ordinance up for vote this week
Supporters say new proposal a good first step

By ERIC SNYDER
The Leaf-Chronicle

Supporters of a proposed ordinance prohibiting Clarksville from contracting with anyone who hires illegal aliens are calling it a good first step.

The ordinance, proposed by Ward 2 City Councilman Ken Takasaki, comes a month after the council tabled an ordinance from Ward 4 Councilman Wallace Redd, which would have fined landlords or businesses that sheltered or employed illegal immigrants.

"It's a good beginning. It's not harsh," said Ann Clem, who supported Redd's ordinance, but thought the $1,000 fines were too harsh in the eyes of others.

Clem and her husband, Bruce, who are building a home in the Rossview area, believe Takasaki's ordinance will fare well at this week's meeting of the City Council.

"The people who are against it are downright saying, 'It's OK to do illegal things," said Mrs. Clem at last week's town hall forum hosted by Takasaki.

Also at the forum was a skeptical Juanita Jones, director of the Little Mexico and Latin Folklore dance group.

"I just don't want any unrest. I don't want any animosity," she said.

Jones said the proposed ordinance is unfair to undocumented but dedicated workers who have been benefitting their employers.

Jones said the disenfranchised workers will be unduly burdened because, by already being in the country, they will be ineligible for a work visa and will be unable to collect unemployment.

She said such people are paying local taxes on their rent, groceries and other purchases. And large employers withhold some of their pay for federal programs, such as Social Security, to which they aren't entitled.

Jones, who said she wished local politicians would concern themselves with more local issues, said Takasaki's ordinance stemmed from him "trying hard to get elected."

Takasaki is running against Democrat Joe Pitts for the 67th District seat in the state House of Representatives.

Jeff Mackens said he was not surprised Redd's ordinance, which he supported, was tabled by the council.

Mackens, an engineer living in the Sango area, supports Takasaki's ordinance, but said "it should go probably just a little bit further."

"One thing (the ordinance doesn't) go into is, how do you find out" if a contractor is employing illegal immigrants, Mackens said. "There's nothing in place."

Jones — who, as a notary, helps many non-English speaking Hispanics — said she does not see illegal immigrants making an adverse impact locally.

The Clems disagreed.

"I think anybody who has any level of taxation against them sees problems," said Bruce Clem, who retired from the Army after 30 years of service.

"We're giving the illegals everything we have to pay for," said Ann Clem, a piano instructor, citing education and health care as examples. "And I don't say that with malice ... They just need to (immigrate) through the proper channels."

Cool welcome at the Finance Committee
When Takasaki brought his ordinance before the city's Finance and Administration Committee last week, City Finance Commissioner Wilbur Berry asked how it would be enforced.

"If an illegal is reported, who is going to inspect that," Berry asked.

Takasaki replied that compliance would be done on a "good faith" basis, noting that inspections aren't done to ensure contractors comply with federal anti-discrimination laws like Title VI.

"If (the federal Immigration and Naturalization Service) comes down and illegals are discovered," Takasaki continued, "this (ordinance) will take effect."

Contractors who are found to be in violation would be barred from contracting or bidding on city projects for one year.

When Ward 7 Councilwoman Mary Nell Wooten made a motion to send the ordinance to City Council with the committee's recommendation, none of her fellow committee members offered a second.

"Well, I don't think the city wants to do business with contractors that are (breaking the law)," Wooten said.

The committee, which also includes Ward 9 Councilman Richard Swift, Ward 10 Councilman A.D. Caldwell and Ward 11 Councilman Morrell Boyd as chairman, later voted unanimously to send the ordinance forward without a recommendation.

The ordinance is similar to a law signed by Gov. Phil Bredesen applying to state contracts.

A meeting of the minds
The City Council's 8-4 vote to table Redd's ordinance last month came after hearing many public comments on either side of the issue.

One of those speaking against was the Rev. Tommy Vallejos, director of the Hispanic Organization of Progress and Education.

Vallejos also spoke last week against Takasaki's ordinance, which he called "a political ploy" in a published report. He said it would harm Hispanic business owners.

However, Vallejos appeared with Takasaki at the councilman's town hall forum Thursday to endorse his ordinance.

Vallejos said Thursday he had spoken to 20 Hispanic business leaders who "all (agreed) with me that this is something that must go forward."

"We know as Latino-Americans that this is the right way to go," Vallejos said. "We are proud Americans — we want people to realize that."

Vallejos was initially approached by Takasaki to cooperate on the ordinance immediately after Redd's ordinance failed.

Vallejos said he declined that invitation because he was upset Takasaki had not stood up against Redd's ordinance, which Vallejos said would lead to discrimination and racial profiling.

After talking with Takasaki last week, Vallejos became convinced the new proposed ordinance posed no such risk.

"I'm not fighting for the rights of illegals," Vallejos said Thursday, but fighting for the right to not have to explain himself or his heritage.

"'Is he or isn't he?' That's the look you get," said Vallejos, a 21-year military veteran.

Vallejos, who said his endorsement of the ordinance was not an endorsement of Takasaki, said he was ready to move beyond such immigration ordinances.

"I want to quit being a political pinata," he said.

The City Council will discuss the ordinance at its nonvoting session at 4:30 p.m. Monday, and will vote on it at its regular meeting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.