Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CNN gives Dobbs a more prominent role

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/1401AP ... Dobbs.html

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 · Last updated 3:54 p.m. PT

CNN gives Dobbs a more prominent role

By DAVID BAUDER
    AP TELEVISION WRITER

In this 2005 publicity photo provided by CNN, news anchor Lou Dobbs sits on the set of his show, "Lou Dobs Tonight," in New York. CNN is giving a newly prominent role to Lou Dobbs, one of its most popular and opinionated personalities, including a slot alongside Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper as an anchor of midterm election coverage next month. (AP Photo/CNN, Mark Hill)
    NEW YORK -- CNN is giving a newly prominent role to Lou Dobbs, one of its most popular and opinionated personalities, including a slot alongside Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper as an anchor of midterm election coverage next month.

Dobbs' weeknight news show will expand to seven days a week, with the two weekend editions presenting highlights of the week's reporting beginning Oct. 28.

The longest-running anchor on CNN's air, Dobbs is suddenly hot again, due to his new opinionated persona as a crusader on issues like immigration reform. His hourlong "Lou Dobbs Tonight" is up 22 percent in viewers this year over last, a bigger increase than any show on CNN or Fox News Channel.

"Our use of Lou and Anderson and Wolf on election night is all about showcasing our best people," said Jonathan Klein, CNN U.S. president.

Making Dobbs an anchor for the Nov. 7 elections coverage raises questions about whether or not cable news is entering a new, more opinionated era, said Tom Rosenstiel, director of the Project for Excellence in Journalism. Keith Olbermann in recent weeks has included a series of barbed commentaries about President Bush and Iraq on his MSNBC show.

Dobbs is "creating a brand for himself and the question is, is that the kind of brand you have anchor on election night?" Rosenstiel said. "Would you have Bill O'Reilly anchor on Fox?"

After 30 years of anchoring, Dobbs knows when it's appropriate to report the news and when to offer opinion, Klein said.

"He's also one of the most influential political journalists of the day and it would make no sense not to have him involved in our election coverage," he said.

Dobbs will conduct discussions with analysts on what is happening election night, he said. "We're not calling on him as a guest to voice his own opinions," he said.

Dobbs is also anchoring three pre-election special reports: "War on the Middle Class" on Oct. 18, "Broken Borders" on Oct. 25 and "Democracy at Risk: E-voting's Threat" on Oct. 29. The title of the first special is the same as Dobbs' new book, published this week.

His hourlong "Lou Dobbs Tonight" is up 22 percent in viewers this year over last, a bigger increase than any show on CNN or Fox News Channel.
    You'd think that the competitors of CNN would know why his ratings have jumped so dramatically..like FOX and others. If they would all cover illegal immigration and how our government leaders stink as well as Lou does, I'd be watching the news as often as I could, no matter what channel.

"He's also one of the most influential political journalists of the day and it would make no sense not to have him involved in our election coverage," he said.
    Too bad he will be covering a non-valid election..especially in Florida. The federal government should be outraged over the fact that we have no viable means to vote. But yet, the government doesn't say a thing...makes you wonder if they are hoping nothing gets done
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Kudos to Lou! I started watching him daily at the beginning of this year and I have learned so much from his show that I never would have gotten from any other anchors. He has really influenced me, opened my eyes.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

I just sent Lou an email about his appearance on Larry King Live tonight. He was great. I use to watch Fox cable all the time but since getting hooked on Lou, I watch CNN (Anderson Cooper, Wolff Blizter). CNN has a lot of good specials too. Lou tells it like it is!!

Same here Sippy!

I started watching in April, and I make sure I Tivo his show if I can't watch. He is one of only a few anchors on TV that I trust at this point.

I wish him continued success, and I am thrilled he will be on 7 days a week!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lou was in top form tonight on Larry's show, Lou's the man.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Lou was great on Larry King last night.

Again, he was 110% right on

You'd think that the competitors of CNN would know why his ratings have jumped so dramatically..like FOX and others. If they would all cover illegal immigration and how our government leaders stink as well as Lou does, I'd be watching the news as often as I could, no matter what channel.
    I've been wondering and fearing how they'd get rid of Lou. They will "promote" him right out of the show he's doing. Keep him "busy."
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We are not consumers, we are not voters, we ARE a nation!
    Lou was in good form!

I've been wondering and fearing how they'd get rid of Lou. They will "promote" him right out of the show he's doing. Keep him "busy."
    I thought I heard he was going to seven nights a week?
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee