Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CNN Takes Down Anti-Immigrant Link on Website

CNN Takes Down Anti-Immigrant Link on Website

El Diario/La Prensa, Editorial, Staff, Posted: May 03, 2007

Editor’s Note: An editorial in today's El Diario/La Prensa criticized CNN for posting a link on Lou Dobbs’ page on its website directing visitors to an anti-immigrant group in Hazleton, Penn. After receiving criticism by the National Institute for Latino Policy, CNN agreed to take down the link.

NEW YORK -- From the looks of its web site, CNN is more than just reporting the news, it`s rallying support for anti-immigrant measures.

The news network has decided to condone fundraising in support of the city of Hazleton, PA. The Pennsylvania town has been embroiled in a legal battle over an ordinance it introduced last year. Under that measure, business owners could have their doors shut for hiring undocumented persons. Landlords found renting to undocumented persons would be penalized with fines. With the growing trend of scapegoating undocumented immigrants, the ordinance has served as a model for other U.S. towns.

On its site, CNN directs visitors to the City of Hazleton Legal Defense Fund, under the heading of "Town Under Siege." The National Institute for Latino Policy points out that the network does not list the option of donating to the other side of this battle—immigrants, native residents and business owners of Hazleton who are represented by the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund (PRLDEF) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

CNN responds that the posting is on Lou Dobbs` Web page, as if the pundit is some outside entity that the network has no control over. We`re not referencing a myspace page or a facebook entry, but the CNN Web site.

If CNN, a division of Time Warner, one of the largest corporations in the world, wants to advocate measures that drive poor, undocumented families out of their homes, that`s the network`s editorial prerogative. But helping to fundraise for these efforts steps over a line traditionally observed by news organizations. Shame on you CNN. It is bad practice and bad politics.

Note from New America Media: In a May 3 letter to Angelo Falcón, president of the National Institute of Latino Policy, CNN President James Walton thanked him for raising his concerns and agreed to take down the link.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_art ... 2e6349dc60
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ALSO REMOVED

the link to donate to the Ramos/Compean defence fund.

what the hell is CNN thinking

Re: CNN Takes Down Anti-Immigrant Link on Website

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    [b]
    If CNN, a division of Time Warner, one of the largest corporations in the world, wants to advocate measures that drive poor, undocumented families out of their homes, that`s the network`s editorial prerogative.
    Can you believe this? CNN and Hazelton are not driving them out of their homes. It was Viscente Fox and similar corrupt leaders who drove them out of their homes, and made them "undocumented"!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oh but its ok that all these special interest groups support people that are not even suppose to be here. I'm e-mailing CNN right this minute.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Since when do we have to listen to Hispanic organizations who shouldn't exist in this country in the first place? This is America, not Hispanica.

I just went there and half the page is missing, I think we should wait to see what they are doing, seems to me we are jumping to conclusions here unless someone else seen something I did't, we need to wait until they have a full web page up.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I'm SO sick of anti-illegal alien being confused into anti-immigrant...
    Just because you're used to something doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    I just went there and half the page is missing, I think we should wait to see what they are doing, seems to me we are jumping to conclusions here unless someone else seen something I did't, we need to wait until they have a full web page up.
    No need, they really did take it down from his site.

NEW YORK (AP) - Following a protest, CNN has removed a link from its Web site to an organization that is raising money to fight illegal immigration.

The link to smalltowndefenders.com was included on Lou Dobbs' home page. Dobbs has used his early evening show as a platform to protest illegal immigration, and he's being profiled Sunday on '60 Minutes' about this fight.

An advocacy group, the National Institute for Latino Policy, protested that Dobbs' on-air advocacy was expanding to include an endorsement of raising money for an organization.

After getting a letter from the group, CNN chief executive Jim Walton agreed to remove the link, CNN spokeswoman Christa Robinson said Friday.

CNN, a unit of Turner Broadcasting, is owned by Time Warner Inc.
    http://www.abcmoney.co.uk/news/04200766903.htm
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

YEP, its gone!

OK I just e-mailed CNN and told them what cowards they are and that I do Not blame Lou etc.