Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CO: ACLU files class action lawsuit against Weld Sheriff, DA

ACLU files class action lawsuit against Weld Sheriff, DA

The American Civil Liberties Union has made good on its threat to file a lawsuit against Weld County Sheriff John Cooke and Weld District Attorney alleging the pair’s combined campaign to arrest illegal immigrants violated privacy laws.

In a class action lawsuit filed in state district court Monday night, the ACLU of Colorado argued that Cooke and Buck are violating the privacy rights of thousands of law-abiding taxpayers by keeping copies of confidential information obtained in an illegal search of Amalia’s Translation and Tax Service in Greeley last fall, according to a prepared release.

“The search violated the privacy rights of thousands of innocent taxpayers who are not suspected of any wrongdoing,â€

ACLU sues Weld DA Ken Buck and Weld sheriff John Cooke

Sharon Dunn
    Email Print Comment
    Recommend
    The American Civil Liberties Union has made good on its threat to file a lawsuit against Weld County Sheriff John Cooke and Weld District Attorney Ken Buck, alleging their joint campaign to arrest illegal immigrants for identity theft violated privacy laws.

In a class action lawsuit filed in Weld District Court late Monday, the ACLU of Colorado argued that Cooke and Buck are violating the privacy rights of thousands of taxpayers by keeping copies of confidential information. That information was obtained in an illegal search, according to the ACLU, of Amalia’s Translation and Tax Service in Greeley as a part of the Operation Number Games campaign.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Amalia Cerrillo, owner of the tax service, and her clients, Luis Noriega, and three other clients being referred to as John, Frank and Robert Doe, who want their identities kept confidential.

“It doesn’t surprise me that the ACLU is taking the side of illegal immigrants over the side of U.S. citizens who have become victims of identity theft,â€

[b]“We just can’t turn a blind eye to it,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

'The ACLU sued my district attorney & sheriff'
    Battle erupts after cops investigate illegal alien tax fraud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: February 10, 2009
    9:31 pm Eastern

By Chelsea Schilling
    © 2009 WorldNetDaily

After authorities investigated thousands of tax files for bogus Social Security numbers used by illegals to steal refunds, the ACLU responded with a class-action lawsuit – but now a Colorado district attorney is fighting back.

The Weld County district attorney, sheriff's office and the Greeley Police Department launched "Operation Number Games" in August last year. They investigated 5,000 tax files after one suspect, Servando Trejo, filed taxes through Amalia's Translation and Tax Service, the Rocky Mountain News reported.

The man admitted using a fake name and Social Security number to Amalia Cerrillo, his tax preparer. He was linked to a Texas man who reported his Social Security number had been stolen.

"I'm not here to judge them," Cerrillo told the Los Angeles Times last year. "If they need to file taxes, then I help them file taxes."

In October, authorities served a warrant to search files at the tax company. They were looking for people who filed for returns using identification belonging to other Americans. Of the 5,000 documents they searched, they found 1,300 cases of possible Social Security fraud.

"Obviously, the federal government isn't doing their job, and it's falling to local agencies to do it," Weld County Sheriff John Cooke told the Times.

Officials said the average tax return they investigated reported workers paying as little as $800 in taxes, claiming numerous exemptions and credits and receiving refunds of more than $2,000.

Authorities considered the operation to be a huge success – and then the ACLU stepped in with a class-action lawsuit, alleging the campaign violated privacy laws.

The ACLU filed the lawsuit on behalf of Cerrillo in Weld District Court on Jan 26.

"It doesn't surprise me that the ACLU is taking the side of illegal immigrants over the side of U.S. citizens who have become victims of identity theft," District Attorney Ken Buck told the Greeley Tribune.

"You can take anything to absurdity, and that's what they're trying to do here," he said.

Buck decided to take action. He came up with a plan to earn money and fight the lawsuit – with a T-shirt.

The front of his shirt says "The ACLU Sued My District Attorney & Sheriff," and the back states, "Weld County Standing Up For Americans."

"I wanted to send a very clear message that we're not going to be intimidated. That there are a lot of people here that are going to support us," Buck told Northern Colorado's News 5.

He designed and produced 160 $10 T-shirts – and they're selling fast.

Buck said he may add hats and sweatshirts to his collection. He also plans to host a bake sale. All proceeds go to the legal defense fund to offset taxpayer funds and combat the ACLU's lawsuit.

Dustin Mundell of Kersey told the news station he went to the DA's office to get his shirt in person because he was afraid they would sell out.

He told reporters, "I just think it's ridiculous that an organization like the ACLU would go after something like that when there was illegal immigrants involved."

www.worldnetdaily.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Feb 10, 9:24 PM EST

Woman accused of making fake W-2 forms arrested

GREENVILLE, Miss. (AP) -- A 34-year-old woman accused of making fake W-2 forms to file false tax claims has been arrested and booked with forgery. Capt. Andrew Kaho of the Greenville Police Department said his department and the Internal Revenue Service began investigating the case about two weeks ago when a local tax preparer contacted the IRS after discovering a counterfeit W-2 in their possession.

Kaho said police executed a search warrant at the home and found more than 75 counterfeit W-2s.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ ... TE=DEFAULT

So I'm guessing the ACLU are going to claim her privacy was invaded too! I'll also bet that AP Service consciously left out certain facts.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Weld County Legal Defense Fund:
    http://www.co.weld.co.us/departments/da ... 0FUND.html

Donations being requested with or without merchandise purchase.

I'll be going to put in my shirt order tomorrow. Good to see this getting attention and good to see my local sheriff and DA standing up to the ACLU!