Aurora has Plan to Crack Down on Day Labor Center Crowds

Last Edited: Tuesday, 15 Jul 2008, 5:38 AM MDT
Created: Tuesday, 15 Jul 2008, 5:38 AM MDT

AURORA (MyFOXColorado.com) - Aurora's City Council wants to rid the corner of Colfax Avenue and Dayton Street of day laborers.

Council members were expected to vote on the proposal Monday night. But the vote was delayed. The council wants more input from people who live in the area.

Organizations that help the workers say the proposal will prevent them from assisting day laborers.

This all started in 2006 when residents and business owners near Colfax and Dayton started complaining to the city about dozens of people standing outside each morning. They gather in hopes of finding temporary work.

The immigration debate is part of the issue. But the council has also received complaints about some workers jumping out in the road as trucks drive by or urinating behind businesses.

The proposal would change the definition of a temporary employment agency. That means groups such as day laborers who typically stand outside looking for work, would have to stand 1,500 feet from employment agencies.

Advocacy group El Centro wants to block the proposed ordinance. A representative from that organization says if the plan is passed, it'll make it hard to provide education and other services to the workers.

“I need to work every day because I have my family,â€