Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CO: Bill would require voters to prove citizenship

CO bill would require voters to prove citizenship

9News.com
    March 9, 2011
    DENVER, CO

Colorado lawmakers are considering a Republican proposal that would prevent people from voting if they can't prove they're U.S. citizens.

House Bill 1252 would direct the secretary of state's office to compare voter rolls with state and federal record to determine if registered voters are U.S. citizens. When there is doubt, people would receive a letter asking them to show proof of citizenship within 90 days. They would be ineligible to vote if they don't comply.

A House committee is scheduled to hear the bill Wednesday.

Republican Secretary of State Scott Gessler says the bill is necessary to clean up voter rolls. Democrats who oppose the bill say Republicans are tackling a problem that doesn't exist.

Other legislation from Republicans to require proof of citizenship to vote has already failed in the Democratic-controlled Senate.

http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=186181

Colorado lawmakers are considering a Republican proposal that would prevent people from voting if they can't prove they're U.S. citizens.
    I thought every State already have a law that requires voters to prove citizenship before voting?

When I go to vote, I have to show Social Security card, drivers licence and voter registration card. Strict voting laws here in Virginia.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Northern California (moved back to fight for our land and freedom)
    I've never understood why the law states that only U.S. citizens can vote and our judges throw out any requirements to ask for proof-of-citizenship when people register to vote.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I got my driver's license when I was 16 I had to bring a birth certificate. I had to bring a birth certificate to a couple of jobs I've applied for. What is the big deal?

But, take in to account that we have a president that, for whatever reason, just won't pull his birth certificate out and show us that he was born in the US.