http://test.denverpost.com/news/ci_5071865

Pols switch roles on scrutiny of address
By Anne C. Mulkern

Jan 24, 2007

Washington - Lawmakers in Colorado's congressional delegation split on President Bush's State of the Union speech Tuesday, but it wasn't the normal party-line reaction. Democrats praised parts while Republicans criticized elements.

Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., who normally supports Bush, applauded the idea of allowing a tax deduction for people who buy their own health insurance, but disagreed with capping the amount.

"People with the biggest health care problems, and therefore larger premiums and deductibles, would be at a disadvantage under this plan," Allard said.

He praised Bush for starting his speech with a call for balancing the budget.

Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo of Littleton, a hard-liner on illegal immigration, condemned Bush's renewed call for a guest-worker program and path to legal status for illegal immigrants.

"I am disappointed but not surprised that the president has once again chosen to trot out this same old pig, albeit one with a slightly new shade of lipstick," Tancredo said.

Democrat Ed Perlmutter, D-Golden, praised Bush's energy plan, which calls for more research on alternative energy sources. Part of that work should go to the National Renewable Energy Lab sites in Golden and Boulder.

"It's good for my district, it's good for Colorado, it's good for the country," Perlmutter said.

Rep. John Salazar, D-Manassa, said the "agricultural community in rural America is the foundation we need" to develop alternative fuels. "It provides everything we need from farm crops for ethanol fuel to wind power that creates clean, affordable energy," he said.

Republican Doug Lamborn, R-Colorado Springs, urged caution on changes in energy policy. "We must be sure to balance our actions with realistic solutions that do not increase our dependency on foreign oil or force industries into government solutions," he said.

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, R-Fort Morgan, said the president "is right on track with reducing our dependence on foreign oil by boosting alternative energy."

Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., praised Bush for talking about the need for a new energy plan, but noted that it's less aggressive in its conservation targets than recent Senate bills.

"If what the president was doing was shooting for a bold vision for energy independence, I think he fell short," Salazar said.

The health plan drew criticism from Democrats as well.

"I share the president's goal of covering the uninsured, but I don't think we do that by taxing families and individuals that have good coverage in order to provide incentives to those who don't have any," said Rep. Mark Udall, D-Eldorado Springs.

Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Denver, said Bush's health-care plan is dead on arrival in Congress. She also criticized his proposal to add new troops in Iraq as "against the overwhelming opposition of the American people, the Iraq Study Group and many of his own generals. This will not bring success in Iraq or make America more secure."