Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Coal Firm Wants to Hire Illegal Hispanics

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/13809345.htm
    Posted on Tue, Feb. 07, 2006

Coal firm wants to hire Hispanics
    Cites declining work ethic of E. Ky. miners
    By Lee MuellerEASTERN KENTUCKY BUREAUPIKEVILLE

Citing a declining work ethic and drug problems among Eastern Kentucky workers, a Pike County coal company has asked the state mining board to help make it possible to hire Hispanic miners.

Current Kentucky law requires that all miners be fluent in English for safety reasons, but the president of Sidney Coal Co., a subsidiary of Massey Energy, has asked for assistance in jumping that legal hurdle.
    A document distributed at a late December board meeting by Sidney Coal Co. president Charlie Bearse struck a raw nerve in some quarters for the degrading terms it used regarding Kentucky miners.

"It's common knowledge that the work ethic of the Eastern Kentucky worker has declined from where it once was," said the document.
    Labor Department studies show Kentucky needs 3,500 new miners, the document said.

"Compounding the worker shortage (problem) is that attitudes have changed among the existing workforce, which affects attendance, drug use and, ultimately, productivity," the document said.

To some, the request comes at a curious time. Coal prices are at record highs and companies across the region are running advertisements for skilled miners. At the same time, state Office of Mine Safety and Licensing records show the agency has issued 12,545 temporary mining cards in the last two years.

"It's not a shortage of workers," said Gary Ball of Inez, a former United Mine Workers of America miner who now edits a local newspaper. "They want cheap labor. Massey brags in its TV ads about its average pay of $50,000 a year. What they want is somebody to work for $6 an hour. What else could it be?"

UMWA official Steve Earles of Madisonville said the coal industry has enough issues with safety and shouldn't invite more problems.
    "I think all that (hiring Hispanics) is going to do right now is create problems all over the coalfields and we don't need that at this juncture," he said.

For the moment, law trumps any regulatory change by the mining board, said Kentucky Coal Association President Bill Caylor.
    "But it really is just a matter of time," he said. "I think this is just the first shot across the bow in trying to adopt this," he said.

In Lexington, as in other parts of the country, residents have become accustomed to watching the nation's swelling Hispanic population accept jobs in construction and agriculture, Caylor said.

Sidney Coal has "identified Hispanic workers who want to come to the area and train to become miners," said the document given to the mining board. The company's objective is to attract workers to the area who "have the necessary work ethic," and therefore, needs the ability "to hire and train non-English-speaking coal miners.

"We are appealing for the ability to obtain miners' certificates for non-English-speaking workers in a controlled environment," the document said.

At least one mining board member -- a UMWA member from Western Kentucky -- bristled at the language in the proposal.
    "It's offensive to me and I don't even work for them," said Edgar "Butch" Oldham of Madisonville. "I don't think the work ethics of coal miners have changed. Do we have drug problems? You bet. But it's not a coal problem. I think it's a societal problem."

The three labor representatives and the chairman of the seven-member mining board voted at the Dec. 22 meeting to table the proposal until later.

The Kentucky Mining Board meets today in Frankfort, but chairman Jane Rice Williams said Sidney Coal's proposal is not on the meeting's agenda. Another meeting is scheduled for Feb. 23.
    Bearse could not be reached, but Earles said the company indicated it would take the issue to court.

"Our position on this is that it's essential you be able to communicate with one another in underground mines," Earles said. "Voice communication is essential. (But) they want to put these Mexicans in a mine by themselves with an English interpreter ... to communicate with the inspectors."
    It was not clear whether Massey Energy also wants to hire Hispanic workers at its other mines.

Katharine Kenny, a spokeswoman for Massey Energy, did not return a telephone call or respond to questions sent by e-mail.
    Earles said his first question for Hispanic mining applicants would be whether they are in the country legally.

Probably not, said Marta Miranda, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University. About 80 percent of the Hispanics in Kentucky are undocumented, she said; exactly the type of worker desperate enough to work in the mines. "The language thing is an issue, but the bigger issue is documentation," she said.

Miranda said employers who can prove a need can apply and receive permission to employ undocumented workers. "That may be what's going on here."

Caylor said his organization has not taken a position on the issue, but conceded hiring Hispanics might lower wages.
    "The union just wants to protect Kentucky jobs," he said. "They don't want workers coming in from Illinois or Indiana or Mexico to take their jobs."

"I think the coal industry has looked at the Mexican labor force in Kentucky," Earles said. "They've seen these other industries -- the horse industry and others -- prospering from this labor.
    "And I think they want a piece of the pie."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reach Lee Mueller at (606
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Does anyone see the sudden urgency to hire Hispanic teachers, and now Hispanic coal miners
    Businesses want to get in on making illegals part of a guest-worker plan, by making it sound as though there is this HUGE shortgage.
    How convenient for businesses to start their campaign for illegal immigrants, and how convenient for congress to put off the debate until every single business has a chance to get into the program before its too late! I smell a hugh rat.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"It's not a shortage of workers," said Gary Ball of Inez, a former United Mine Workers of America miner who now edits a local newspaper. "They want cheap labor. Massey brags in its TV ads about its average pay of $50,000 a year. What they want is somebody to work for $6 an hour. What else could it be?"
    This says it all.

I worked in the heavy equipment business for 24 yrs., my husband is still there.

We are about 45 minutes from Pike Co. Right now they are mowing down a mountain to add housing to the area. My husband had to go to Pike co. for a meeting there for work, there's also a branch there.
    He said it was over flowing with Mexicans.

I thought then...they are mowing down that mountain to get housing for them!!!

Now, the unions in all the mines, always cry to strike. Our workers better tell the unions to start changing too, because not only do the unions put their workers out of a job.....now they are going to put them out with the illegals.

Where I grew up, in Ohio, the unions called for strike after strike, eventually all the business' got so fed up with it, they either closed for good, or moved completely out of the area.

Now the unions are foaming at the mouth, to get these illegals on their memberships, just for dues.

It all boils down to money for everyone, at the expense of the American worker.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

I just emailed the president of Massey coal

His name is
    Michael Allen
    michael.allen@masseyenergyco.com

I also emailed Senator Mitch McConnell, Ky.

Of course, I usually burn McConnel up with emails....let's see what he has to say on this item.

The latest letter I have from him...Jan.23rd
    " As you know, the problems associated with illegal immigration are among the most pressing challenges facing our nation. We must be responsive to those who seek to immigrant to this country by legal means, while also securing our borders from those unwilling to obey our immigration laws. It is my expectation the immigration and related issues will receive full consideration by the senate in the 109th Congress."

"AS these issues are debated, it is imperative we ensure that America remains a free and open society while at the same time ensuring that our borders are protected from those who seek to inflict harm upon America."

I read this an guest workers! But in my email to him today, I asked him to protect KY's coal miners, and not illegals!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!