Thread: COCHISE COUNTY:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

COCHISE COUNTY:

The Cochise County Sherrif apparently is under strong pressure (wonder from who?) to torpedo the Minuteman Project by any means possible.

http://www.svherald.com/articles/2005/0 ... inion1.txt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:07 PM MST

More than 900 people plan to come and patrol the desert border in the coming month.

Agencies, including those in Cochise County and the U.S. Border Patrol, face getting ready for the Minuteman Project, an effort to "help" federal agencies by tracking down illegal immigrants who cross from Mexico.

The Minutemen will come from throughout the country. As of Tuesday, 956 have signed up. And this doesn't include the possibility of other organizations - those who are opposed to what the Minutemen plan.

The issue has been a topic of the Cochise County Board of Supervisors. Supervisor Paul Newman, whose district includes Bisbee and Naco, Ariz., has said the county needs to be active before the Minuteman Project arrives. He urged planning officials to create an ordinance requiring a permit for such a group. And he's urged that the county send a letter to the organizers to get details about what they plan to do.

On the other side, supervisors Pat Call and Richard Searle believe this matter should be left in the hands of the Cochise County Sheriff's Department.

And that's where it is for now.

The problem is, no one knows how big this is going to be. It has gained national and international media attention. The efforts of a group of volunteers to patrol the border to turn away or track illegal immigrants has glitz. But those of us in Cochise County know this type of activity has happened along our border before.

What is alarming is the possibility of a confrontation between the project's opposition and the volunteers, the development of an out of control situation between illegals and volunteers, or that the Border Patrol will be so overwhelmed by the project that it won't be able to respond to other calls.

What can the county really do to prepare for these situations?

Sheriff Larry Dever and his officers have tread the line in keeping the peace. We expect his department will continue doing the same.

We expect the Border Patrol agents will be on their toes, as well, cognizant of the added private citizenry along the border.

But those groups can only do so much. And the chance of a serious incident will remain heightened for the duration of the month.

For now, we wait for April Fools' Day to see if the organizers really have the numbers they claim.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: COCHISE COUNTY:

Correction and FYI: A Cochise County resident informed us that their sherrif is pro-border control.
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sounds like Jim Gilchrist needs to send a copy of the 1st Amendment to Supervisor Paul Newman he sure does not seem to understand it.
    I though they were going to investigate this..this.. person (newman).

Bill of Rights
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Sounds like Jim Gilchrist needs to send a copy of the 1st Amendment to Supervisor Paul Newman he sure does not seem to understand it.
    I though they were going to investigate this..this.. person (newman).

Bill of Rights
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    I hate to say it, but what Newman is doing is legal. That does not mean I agree, far from it. I am not happy at all about what Newman is doing. I was looking forward to having a roof over my head (even if it was simply a crappy spot on the floor of a crappy room with a few other people.) Now I will be out in a tent, which for a 10 day event will certainly take a much harder toll on my body.

However, USC A-1 specifies congress for a reason. Yes, the fed government can not stop people from assemle, HOWEVER, it is not congress trying to (however, the admin WISHES it could) stop the event. It is a county burrocrap who is analy enforcing some laws which are there to try to keep large flocks of people from setting up a quasi-temporary "community". The states and communities SHOULD have the ability to write their own laws, and have them be enforcible. That is also part of the US Constitution (a huge part of it btw). This statute is actually not all bad, it does keep "squatter" communities from popping up. Btw, who do you think would be the prevelent members in these squatter communities??? So the community/county/state DOES have reason and right to tell us that we can not house 100's of people for a month.

So be it! This will stop nothing, except make the people attending feel more like martyrs. They can not and WILL NOT keep us from coming. Just let them try.

I am so looking forward to this event. As I see it, it is a win/win/win/win/win/win.... situtation.

Since there has been such a HUGE injection of media exposure, WIN

If the goverment "shuts us down", there will be a HUGE uprising of really pissed people, thus the dragon is waking up even more, WIN

If there are NO illegals at all that even try to cross the border during the month (over this 40 mi stretch), then the OBL's talking point of there is no way to "stop this" has just been shattered, WIN

If there is a "normal" invasion, and we shut it down peacefully, then the OBL talking point is dead, WIN

If the worst possible of all, an armed assalt from MX happens, the military will be on the border in a flash, and it will shut down, WIN

I could continue, but I think people here see my point

Yes, there could be some problems. The biggest problem I see, is if some lose cannon shoots a border agent, or some "helpless" illegal crossers. That is really my only concern. I just hope the vetting process, and the SOP which is 100% no contact, and the fact that there will be at least 1 LEO or ex mil in each group (heading the group), will keep this from happening. However, there will be tons of "old" media which will grab at ANY crumbs which they can, to see this project fail.

"The issue has been a topic of the Cochise County Board of Supervisors. Supervisor Paul Newman, whose district includes Bisbee and Naco, Ariz., has said the county needs to be active before the Minuteman Project arrives. He urged planning officials to create an ordinance requiring a permit for such a group. And he's urged that the county send a letter to the organizers to get details about what they plan to do."

I guess I should have been more specific. Should Newman wait until now (a few days before the MMP) to inact a county/city ordanance. Then he is in fact directing his action toward one group in paticular by not giving them the time to aquire a permit. He would be liable in a suit.

Having been invovled with local gov. the past 30 years I understand how some county/city managers/supervisors can get a wild hair in a unspecified location of their anatomy. Hence trying to make themselves in to a little Napoleon. Giving you this type of person.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)