Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

College, military options to illegals

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story.as ... 1c6cd40252

College, military options to possibly become available to undocumented high school students

Last Update: 12/21/2006 7:14:05 PM

Posted By: brynn galindo

Video Watch This Video
    Posted 12/21/06
    BAKERSFIELD - Undocumented high school students nationwide may soon have college or military options if the upcoming democratic house passes a bill.

It’s called the Dream Act, but reality may not be that far off for some. The democratic house will propose a 6-year conditional visa that offers permanent residency to undocumented high school students. The students may choose to attend college or join the military for two years.

“The big thing is to bring out from the shadows … to become eventual citizens of this country,” said Cal State University of Bakersfield professor Gonzalo Santos.

Students who are illegal immigrants and arrived in the U.S. before age 16 who have lived here for five years and graduate are eligible.

“They got to learn about how things work,” said CSUB student Mario Lopez. “I think the visa is a great thing … I just don’t agree with the military side.”

“You’ve got kids that are strong workers … it all depends,” said student Renee Bates.

Students who qualify must not have a criminal record which may also ease any homeland security concerns.

“The dispute is whether we should do that or whether we should persecute our high school graduates,” Santos said.

These temporary visas are only good for six years that is if they complete the two-year requirement and receive permanent status.

The democratic house will propose a 6-year conditional visa that offers permanent residency to undocumented high school students. The students may choose to attend college or join the military for two years.
    What? What? How about "no" and "no"? And who came up with two years? No thanks, we can take care of ourselves. Reminds me of the "help" for Katrina.

Oh, I see, this is where Senor Bush plans to get his new army from? :P
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Illegal aliens are criminals and now someone wants to reward their criminal behavior by giving them a college education and a M-16? Unbelievable.