Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Comedian George Lopez is putting Phoenix on HBO

'America's Mexican' live this Saturday at the Dodge Theatre
    Lopez filming HBO special
    By Cathalena E. Burch
    cburch@azstarnet.com
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 02.22.2007

Comedian George Lopez is putting Phoenix on HBO.

On Saturday, Lopez will film his first-ever HBO Comedy Special at the Dodge Theatre. It will air live, and the cameras will zoom in for audience close-ups.

"I always felt comfortable in the Dodge Theatre the times that I've been there," Lopez said in early January, as tickets for his performances there tonight, Friday and Saturday were selling fast. "I've been going to Phoenix a long time, like since '86, '85. It's kind of a place where I started."

Lopez could have done the show in Texas — he couldn't decide which Texas city — or in Chicago — he didn't want to perform on East Coast time.

"I didn't want to do it in Los Angeles because I think it was kind of predictable that I would do it in a homefield advantage."
    So he opted, happily, for the 5,000-seat Dodge to film the hour-long "America's Mexican," which airs live Saturday night. (It repeats several times in the coming weeks.)

"HBO is the first name in comedy on cable. . . . Every comedian who's ever really been successful has done an hour," said Lopez, whose namesake ABC sitcom goes into syndication this fall. "Dennis Miller, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal, Robert Klein, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Lewis Black — to add yourself to that category, it's impressive."

Lopez, who blipped the national radar when his sitcom hit the airwaves in 2002, said "America's Mexican" will feature 57 minutes of unrecorded material centered on the theme of being Mexican in America. He has a serious point hidden beneath his comedy: America needs to understand that Hispanics influence everything in our society.

"Everything people touched, a Latino has touched first. And that's important. If you want some produce, you go to the market, but it starts in the ground. I'm sorry but I think I can speak from reliable sources: Very few of the people picking are non-Latinos."

Allow him and Lopez will go on a rant about how America is quick to dismiss Hispanics "until they don't show up for work," he joked.

Mexico needs to be involved in the immigration solution; Lopez suggests the country start by building more roads. "The roads would be enough to keep people employed for years," he joked.

His solution to the immigration problem also wouldn't involve fences or deportations.

"If you're going to send people back, then let's just rebuild the Mayflower and send everybody who's white back," he reasons. "It's just turning the page back further in the book.

"I think we can build the Mayflower for a lot less than people imagine. The labor would be free. The only cost would be materials," he added.

Lopez said the timing is right for his big HBO moment. In six years, he's gone from stand-up comic on the club circuit to having a star on the Walk of Fame and being named one of Time magazine's top 25 influential Hispanics in the United States.

"I'm excited. I'm not nervous at all," he said. "I've been doing this for years. You never know what's going to happen, but I've tested the show out and I've been doing well for years. . . . I have found tranquility in success."

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/ent_index/169930

JAK
    Big Deal...

its called illegal... if this is how you feel...I won't be watching you anymore either!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Everything people touched, a Latino has touched first.
    Um, NOT!

JAK
    Everyone who loves this country and wants to be a part of it

should BE AMERICAN FIRST!!!! Is that too much to ask? Something seriously wrong here!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't know about his ancestors but mine helped build America to what it is today.......Or maybe I should say what it was before the invasion started. Wonder if his ancestors built tunnels, fought in wars (sometimes against their country of origin) Mayflower my butt don't compare the people who came on the mayflower to the trash thats sneaking in today!
    My ancestors loved this country and proved it over and over.

Pretty sure all those "white" folks that came over on the Mayflower were perfectly capable of growing, raising, picking and cleaning their own produce. Why is it OK, in his mind, to make a statement(s) like that about any race. I've never said to send all or only Mexicans back but everyone, regardless of race, that are here ILLEGALLY/CRIMINALS. I don't think I'll be wasting anymore time on the garbage Mr. Lopez spews about LEGAL CITIZENS.

Just in case anyone's interested, Cavuto is on right now discussing BofA. Although our hero W. isn't on, still pretty interesting.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    If you want some produce, you go to the market, but it starts in the ground. I'm sorry but I think I can speak from reliable sources: Very few of the people picking are non-Latinos."
    That may be said of the "pickers" in Mexifornia and Texifornia, but it is not true in the north, south or the midwest. The most beautiful agriculture in the United States is found in Amish farming.

Lopez suggests the country start by building more roads. "The roads would be enough to keep people employed for years," he joked.
    Does he mean employed by the prison chain gang? Or roads like the Highway from Hell (SPP/NAU) in Texas? Maybe all road construction crews should be raided by ICE as well.

I NEVER WATCH THIS FAT TWISTED CREEP ANYWAY BECAUSE OF HIS LATINO SUPREMACIST ARROGANCE. I GET ENOUGH OF THAT IN LOPEZ'S HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE - L.A.

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!
    The unfunny Lopez is doing this show for two reasons- #1-he's a supposed comedian, and #2- he's trying to convince the American public to allow his own people (illegal criminal aliens) to be let into the country without documents. Sorry, It isn't going to happen. I hope he bombs out on stage. Anyone would be foolish to watch that show. I know I won't.
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.

HE MAKES ME SICK TO, PUT HIM UP THERE NEXT TO KENNEDY!!! STUFF YOUR SHOW LOPEZ!! I'M NOT INTERESTED!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    I don't know about his ancestors but mine helped build America to what it is today.......Or maybe I should say what it was before the invasion started.
    Mine did too! Over the last 200-300 years; building farms, schools, governments, and businesses, plus all the wars and hardships they suffered. They were patriotic and dedicated to America. I'm sure they never envisioned America would be sacrificed by our own leaders and corrupt southern countries from massive swarms of illegal invaders whose goal was to change and eventually destroy our heritage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast