Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Common ground at ECC illegal immigration debate

Common ground at ECC illegal immigration debate

April 30, 2008Recommend

BY STEVEN ROSS JOHNSON Staff Writer
    ELGIN -- Representatives on both sides of the illegal immigration issue came to Elgin Community College on Tuesday night to debate how the U.S. should go forth in dealing with the 12 million people estimated to be living in the country illegally.

The debate, held by ECC student group the Organization of Latin American Students, was intended to discuss the hot-button topic by examining such sub-topics as border security and deportation, as well as its economic impact.

Inside, A10
    Immigration rallies are slated Thursday in Chicago, across U.S.

Debate participants Joshua Hoyt, executive director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrants and Refugee Rights, and Brian R. Perryman, a former director of the Immigration Naturalization Services of the Chicago District, took turns answering prewritten questions from the roughly 50 people in attendance.

Both men began by agreeing with one another that the federal government's system in dealing with illegal immigrants was insufficient and needed to be revamped.

But views quickly diverged over what action the government should take to deal with the flow of undocumented people coming into the U.S., or the growing population of those already residing within the country.

"Immigration law is like your house. You have a home, and when someone knocks on the door you can choose to invite them in," Perryman said. "If someone comes in your back door in the middle of the night and you don't know who they are, then you are going to call the police."

"The house analogy would be true if you were actually trying to keep people out of your house," Hoyt replied. "But if you left the $20 bill on the counter, and say you can sneak through the back door if you do the dishes, and then call the cops ... there's a little bit of hypocrisy there."

The tone of debate remained civil throughout, with both men finding common ground on several issues -- such as helping to build up the economies of neighboring countries and cracking down on employers who exploit illegal immigrants for cheap labor.

Both also found themselves in agreement in their opposition of a proposal to make English the country's official language, a move both said only served to distract from the larger issue. Both agreed learning English was vital for all people living in the U.S., but that it also was important for people in the U.S. to learn to speak Spanish to be able to communicate with that vast majority of people residing throughout the hemisphere.

"I think that these talks about English as the official language is inflammatory," Perryman said. "We need to learn how to speak the language in the country that we're in, but we also need to understand where we are."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/cour ... 1.article#
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"The house analogy would be true if you were actually trying to keep people out of your house," Hoyt replied. "But if you left the $20 bill on the counter, and say you can sneak through the back door if you do the dishes, and then call the cops ... there's a little bit of hypocrisy there."
    This is one of the DUMBEST statements I've heard! Is this guy a completely brainless??? Gee, I wonder what he thinks LOCKS and ALARMS are for if not to keep uninvited people out of our houses?!?! If I want to put a $20 anywhere in my house, doesn't mean I want THIEVES to rob me! What a colossal moron!

Both agreed learning English was vital for all people living in the U.S., but that it also was important for people in the U.S. to learn to speak Spanish to be able to communicate with that vast majority of people residing throughout the hemisphere.
    Anyone living in the US has a reponsibility to learn English. Spanish speaking people must be able to communicate with the vast DIVERSE majority in the hemisphere and that mean ENGLISH, get it?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Anyone living in the US has a reponsibility to learn English. Spanish speaking people must be able to communicate with the vast DIVERSE majority in the hemisphere and that mean ENGLISH, get it?
    Exactly.

Debate participants Joshua Hoyt, executive director of the Illinois Coalition for Immigrants and Refugee Rights, and Brian R. Perryman,

Now there is a couple of morons whose opinions are really not news worthy.

Elgin Community College was a "Qualified designated entity" that helped to distribute and receive applications for amnesty under the 1986 IRCA law. Illegal aliens came out of everywhere all of a sudden to apply for amnesty...this college has a long history of being IA sympathetic and aiding that population which has probably quintupled in size since 1986...and the effects are many.

And how in the blazes would anyone know there was a $20 bill on the counter unless they stole into the house?
    BTW, I live in a single story house. We open the windows this time of year. It would be very easy for someone to cut through our screens and gain entry. So, by Mr Hoyt's (il) logic, I am inviting them to come in to see if there is a $20 bill on the counter??
    It's more like my neighbor (Mr Employer) says, "Come visit me, I need some help and by the way, my neighbor has open windows and screens which are easy to get around and he has a $20 bill on his kitchen counter.