http://www.wnep.com/global/story.asp?s=5178223

Communities Following Hazleton's Lead

Thursday, July 20, 6:09 p.m.
By Scott Schaffer

A community in Carbon County is looking to take a page out of Mayor Lou Barletta's book in Hazleton. Nesquehoning is considering a measure to crack down on illegal immigrants, as Hazleton has done.

It's not hard to see Nesquehoning Mayor Tony Walck admires what Mayor Barletta has done in his city.

"Mayor Barletta of Hazleton made a bold move," Walck said. So bold, Walck is planning to follow Barletta's lead on the issue of illegal immigrants.

"To have the solicitor draw up an ordinance similar if not the same as Mayor Barletta," Walck added.

The new law signed just last week in Hazleton makes English the official language of the Mountain City, and cracks down on landlords who rent to illegal immigrants, and businesses who hire them.

Nesquehoning is one of several communities in our area reportedly now considering some sort of local ordinance aimed at illegals.

Others include neighboring Lansford, along with Tamaqua, Mahanoy City and Shenandoah in Schuylkill County, and Mount Pocono in Monroe County.

"We have no major problems now, but we're concerned about the influx coming if they move out of Hazleton," Walck said.

Nesquehoning is just 12 miles from Hazleton and the mayor said residents there support his plan.

"I think it's great. I think it's great. Get them out of here. Let them be English. If they want to come here let them talk English. That's how I feel," said Yvonne Swartz of Nesquehoning.

"We need to keep our town nice and clean and we've got to keep the families here," said another who didn't want to give her name.

"If they're legal we have no problem with them coming into our borough. But if they're illegal, basically we don't want them," the mayor said.

Walck said he expects Nesquehoning council to begin considering the new ordinance at its July meeting, which is scheduled for next Wednesday at 7 p.m. at borough hall.