Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Congress frets as its ratings plummet - only 12% approval

Congress frets as its ratings plummet
    Poll: Only 12 percent of Americans have much confidence in the legislative branch, a record low.
    By Gail Russell Chaddock | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
    from the July 8, 2008 edition

Daily podcast | 07.07.08 Pat Murphy talks with
    Monitor staff writer Gail Chaddock about low public approval ratings for Congress: http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0708/p03s04-uspo.html

Washington - Members of Congress are used to working in an institution that gets no respect, but a recent plunge to the bottom of confidence ratings – and a week back home with constituents riled over gas prices – is raising alarms even on thick-skinned Capitol Hill.

Some Democrats blame the Republicans, especially GOP senators who have used procedural maneuvers to block votes on key legislation.

"It's worrisome, but I understand it: The strategy of the Republicans has been to stop anything from happening – and people think that nothing is being done to help their lives," says Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D) of Michigan.

Some Republicans worry that the public doesn't know enough about Congress to blame the right party.

"Not only does Congress have an approval rating below bubonic plague and head lice, I saw a recent poll that as many as 40 percent of people still believe that Congress is in Republican hands," says Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R) of Texas. "I wish we could get a little accuracy out there about who is in charge – and let those ratings fall where they may."

A recent Gallup Poll confirms what many lawmakers say they're hearing from their constituents: that confidence in Congress has never been lower. Only 12 percent of Americans say they have a "great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in Congress as an institution – the lowest level ever for any US institution since Gallup began asking the question 35 years ago. Congressional job approval, a slightly different question, has dropped to 18 percent.

Pollsters say it's tough to sort out why Congress now ranks so low. "In general, Americans are responding negatively to everything we put in front of them," says Frank Newport, editor in chief of the Gallup Poll in Princeton, N.J. Government institutions, especially, are at or near their lowest ratings to date.

But when pollsters ask if voters think that their local member of Congress deserves to be reelected, the response is usually positive. More than 90 percent of incumbents who opt to stay in Congress are typically reelected.

"Typically, the local congressman is held in higher regard as a person than the institution they're a part of," says Mr. Newport. It's a trend pollsters also see in questions about confidence in the medical system, public education, and law enforcement, he adds.

This view that voters can at the same time harbor contempt for Congress but also respect for their local congressman has settled into the culture on Capitol Hill.

"When times are very tough as they are now, people feel upset, and I don't think folks distinguish between the House of Representatives and the Senate," says Rep. Paul Hodes (D) of New Hampshire. "What they see is that Congress isn't helping or that Congress hasn't been able to get it done. [But] my constituents will see that I'm on the right side of the issues they care about."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi links the low ratings to Congress's inability to end the war in Iraq or deliver on promises to lower gas prices. "I think one of the reasons that Congress is at an all-time low in confidence with the American people is that we did not end the war – and these issues that relate to energy," she said at a Monitor breakfast on June 24.

"The problem is overwhelmingly the 60-vote requirement [to end a filibuster] in the Senate," says Rep. Barney Frank (D) of Massachusetts. "If we could resolve that, we would be better off."

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R) of North Carolina, who has often squared off with Mr. Frank, says that he could say "it's a Democrat thing, because it's a Democrat-controlled Congress, but it's really due to the fact that we're not addressing the American people's problems: high gas prices, out-of-control spending, soft economy, and the housing crunch."

"Generally, the American people are sour on our economic outlook and all institutions," he adds. "I tell constituents that I'm fighting the crowd up here as much as I can."

"The public sees us as mired in partisan bickering in the face of persistent problems that remain to be addressed," says freshman Rep. Hank Johnson (D) of Georgia. "Though I disagree with that sentiment, I certainly understand it. But notwithstanding that popular sentiment, the public generally likes their individual representatives. Those who do not have their confidence will not come back."
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0708/p03s04-uspo.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi links the low ratings to Congress's inability to end the war in Iraq or deliver on promises to lower gas prices. "I think one of the reasons that Congress is at an all-time low in confidence with the American people is that we did not end the war – and these issues that relate to energy," she said at a Monitor breakfast on June 24.
    You'd be wrong there, you wicked witch of the west. We are sick and TIRED of you and Reid trying your darnest to give our tax dollars away to illegal aliens! Illegal immigration is crushing our economy and you CONTINUE to HIDE that "little" fact! We're NOT buying it anymore! If so many of us are not losing our jobs to illegal aliens, $5/gallon gas would not be such a big issue!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

"It's worrisome, but I understand it: The strategy of the Republicans has been to stop anything from happening – and people think that nothing is being done to help their lives," says Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D) of Michigan.
    BOTH parties are to blame . Both are corrupt and dance only to a different master . As this Senator Stabenow points a finger she needs only to look at the Speaker and the DNC head . The Gop is as lame and stupid as any U.S government i'm seen in my life.
    The Dem's
    Voted and passed taxes on SS.
    Voted and passed taxes on Disablities
    Voted and passed Nafta
    Voted China - World Trade Status
    Voted a ACLU member on to the Supreme Court
    They ALL voted for the Patriot Act with out reading it , except Dr.Paul
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

MW
    Some Democrats blame the Republicans, especially GOP senators who have used procedural maneuvers to block votes on key legislation.

What a load of one-sided crap! The Democrats are just as guilty, if not more so. Since taking control of the Congress, they've stopped every attempt by the Republicans to address the oil issue. Worse than that, they've stopped anything that deals with border security and illegal immigration from coming to the House and Senate floor for a vote!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When times are very tough as they are now, people feel upset, and I don't think folks distinguish between the House of Representatives and the Senate," says Rep. Paul Hodes (D) of New Hampshire. "What they see is that Congress isn't helping or that Congress hasn't been able to get it done. [But] my constituents will see that I'm on the right side of the issues they care about."
    Has there been any discernable difference between the House and Senate? I think not! Both have demonstrated a disconnect from the desires and wishes of those Americans who have elected them to represent our interests as a a nation!

Sure they are a few good ones who are trying to represesnt the interests of this country and those who elected them into office. But they are far and few in between and are fighting an uphill battle to carry on.

I don't know anything about Paul Hodges (D) of New Hampshire or his positions. However, after reading his comments, a certain saying comes to mind, in which I cannot take credit, as it was told to me by a friend who heard Bill Parcels mutter these words during a pratice:

Don't tell me about the pregancy, just show me the baby! In other words Rep. Paul Hodes (D) of New Hampshire (and every other politician), don't tell me you are on the "right side"of the issues, Show me!!

Miguelina nailed it for me. My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by MW

What a load of one-sided crap! The Democrats are just as guilty, if not more so. Since taking control of the Congress, they've stopped every attempt by the Republicans to address the oil issue. Worse than that, they've stopped anything that deals with border security and illegal immigration from coming to the House and Senate floor for a vote!
    Exactly! This is why we need to educate our kids as they get older of WHO is doing this to them. Individual names like Pelosi, Reid, Hutchinson (who gutted the fence money). We need to teach them WHO and what party they are in. Because all they get is the sound bite information at election time and they blame "this administration." Well, that doesn't get it anymore. Like this article said, we need to educate our kids, and neighbors as to WHO is holding up the Save Act, WHO is holding up drilling,
    etc.

Typically, the local congressman is held in higher regard as a person than the institution they're a part of

Oh, yeah, I really love Obama and Durbin.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Wonder who the 12% are?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Wonder who the 12% are?
    Lucky people who have good congress members and equate the congress with their work. I use to have a great congress member.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast