http://www.chillicothegazette.com/apps/ ... 50315/1014

Congress must do more to secure U.S. seaports

By Bob Ney

In our post-9/11 world, with illegal immigration on the rise and the threat of global terrorism still in existence, it is critical our government takes all necessary steps to better secure and strengthen our nation's borders.

On the immigration front, we must establish operational control of our borders and remove illegal aliens once apprehended.Last year alone, 120,000 illegal aliens from countries other than Mexico were apprehended by the Border Patrol, only to be released due to a lack of detention space. I believe this "catch and release" practice represents a danger to the security of our nation, and am working with my colleagues in Congress to address it.

Late last year, I was proud to help pass the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act of 2005. This legislation was a very important step towards addressing the growing problem of illegal immigration and now that the House has acted, I believe the Senate must move forward with its passage as well.
That said, I also recognize cracking down on illegal immigration is one part of the much larger issue of protecting and securing America's borders. Like many Americans, I was surprised to learn of the Bush administration's decision to approve a proposal by Dubai Ports World of the United Arab Emirates to provide operational management of six U.S. seaports.

Last year, more than 9.6 million maritime containers arrived at United States seaports - an average of 26,000 a day - which are part of more than 108 million cargo containers that are transported among seaports around the world, constituting the most critical component of global trade and one of the most critical points of entry to our nation that must be protected. It is for this reason Congress has appropriated $912 million for port security grants since 9/11 and $934 million for advanced inspection and radiation detection technology for our ports and cargo screening.

As we make progress on the immigration reform front and continue efforts to better secure our ports, I have serious concerns with how such this proposed takeover by an Arab nation squares with these efforts, and I question the extent to which this proposal has been vetted top-to-bottom by our national security experts.Congress, as an equal branch of government, needs to ask serious questions and demand comprehensive answers of the administration on this matter.

It is for this reason I am supporting legislation the Foreign Investment Security Improvement Act of 2006, introduced this week by House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King, which would ensure Congress' oversight role in the investigation of Dubai Ports World's acquisition of P&O Worldwide.Specifically, this bill would require the investigation to include: a review of U.S. Coast Guard assessments of foreign ports where DP World operates; background checks of DP World officers and security personnel; an evaluation of the impact on port security by DP World's control of U.S. port operations, and consultation with the Coast Guard, Customs and Border Protection, the Secretary of Homeland Security and state and local officials, regarding the impact on national security of DP World operations at affected U.S. ports.

Following the 45-day review, the bill would require within 15 days a report to Congress providing the detailed findings of the investigation and a presidential determination. Congress would then have 30 days to reverse an approval of the transaction through legislation.

This legislation, and the message it sends about the importance of the national security concerns with this proposed deal, is critical given what appears to be a cursory review of the serious questions regarding the takeover of several of our major seaports by a company wholly owned by the government of the UAE.

I look forward to the results of this 45-day investigation, and hope my colleagues in the Congress will act quickly and help pass this legislation.I intend to remain focused on the important issue of securing and protecting America's borders.

(Ney, R-Heath, represents Ohio's 18th Congressional district, including Chillicothe)

Originally published March 5, 2006