http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=310423

Congressional Candidate Accused of Hiring Undocumented Workers
June 15th, 2006 @ 7:10am
Gene Kennedy Reporting

Congressional candidate John Jacob says he's the right man to help Washington get tough on illegal immigration. But a report in the Deseret Morning News accuses him of actually hiring undocumented workers.

Jacob wants incumbent Chris Cannon's seat. And this accusation comes as the two have been debating over illegal immigration for weeks.

The people making the accusations both support Chris Cannon. One is Latino-community advocate Tony Yapias. The other is Eagle Mountain city councilman David Lifferth. The two are quoted in the Deseret Morning News saying Jacob paid these undocumented workers in cash to clean his house and the grounds around it.

Jacob says it's a flat-out lie, that these so-called undocumented workers are in fact students legally here on student visas. Jacob adds that he worked with an immigration attorney to create a company so these two students could work part time.

The back-and-forth comments come as Jacob is trying to take the Third District congressional seat from incumbent Chris Cannon. Cannon backs President Bush's immigration plan. Jacob says that's just amnesty.

John Jacob (R) Candidate for 3rd District/June 1: "You talk about your record and you vote for things. But you don't believe 'em and you don't do 'em."

Rep. Chris Cannon (R) 3rd District: "John has just called me a liar, but I don't think he listened to what I said."

No one from the Cannon camp has commented on this latest report, but Tony Yapias is on record saying, "Here we have someone who has made immigration an issue, to take a hard stand on immigration, yet he himself has taken a part of it."

Jacob says he has not hired anyone illegally, saying, "I'll be glad to show anyone my records. I have nothing to hide."

There's more on this story in today's Deseret Morning News, and we are working on hearing from both sides on this latest report.