http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/ ... 6/chc.html

February 9, 2006

CHC meets Wal-Mart CEO
By Josephine Hearn

Members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (CHC) met with Wal-Mart CEO H. Lee Scott yesterday morning, the first such meeting between the largely liberal group and the controversial company’s top official.

Sources close to the caucus described the meeting as largely civil but said the lawmakers asked critical questions about Wal-Mart’s labor practices. Many of the CHC’s stances on issues as diverse as union organizing, wages, healthcare and pensions differ markedly with the giant retailer’s positions.

The meeting is the latest in Wal-Mart’s effort to reach out to members of Congress. Wal-Mart executives met members of the Congressional Black Caucus last spring.

Rep. Ed Pastor (D-Ariz.), who chairs the CHC’s labor task force and arranged the meeting, asked the executive about pensions, healthcare and livable wages.

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.) asked about child labor and selecting sites for new stores.

Grijalva said afterward that he was not impressed with Scott.

“I think he danced around my questions. I understand that, but the questions I asked persist,â€