http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061102/lath086.html?.v=75

Congressman Trent Franks Says 'Duncan Hunter Has My Unequivocal Support!'
Thursday November 2, 9:58 am ET

PHOENIX, Nov. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. Congressman Trent Franks (AZ-02) today offered his enthusiastic support for a Presidential bid by Congressman Duncan Hunter (CA-52). Hunter, a stalwart Reagan Republican who was elected to the U.S. Congress in 1980, announced Monday that he is beginning preparations for a run for the White House in 2008.

In announcing his endorsement for what could soon be an official candidacy by Hunter, Franks praised Hunter's character, intellect and temperament, saying, "The President of the United States is tasked with the immense responsibility of both listening to and leading the American people. The person who wins in 2008 will have a profound impact on the fate of this generation in the pages of history. The President must possess great wisdom, courage and compassion, especially in a time of war, always with the goal of achieving and sustaining peace. Duncan possesses these qualities.

"I have had the privilege of serving in Congress on the Armed Services Committee with Duncan Hunter and know him to be the John Wayne of the Congress," said Franks who attended Monday's announcement in San Diego. "He is at once a man of genuine compassion for humanity and a formidable soldier of freedom."

"As I looked across San Diego Bay, I saw CVN 76, The USS Ronald Reagan, in port and thought it so fitting that the silhouette of that great ship bearing the name of the man who won the cold war should be there as a silent witness to the Presidential announcement of a man whom I truly believe can once again unite and lead the Reagan Coalition to victory in 2008. As President, Duncan Hunter will continue the Reagan legacy and lead our country to victory against the evil of terrorism."

Hunter is one of the most informed members of Congress in matters surrounding the war on terror. He has been a leader in passing critical legislation aimed at reducing U.S. vulnerabilities, including cosponsoring and championing the Military Commissions Act and the Secure Fence Act.

"I am delighted with his decision," said Franks, who has known for some months that Chairman Hunter was considering entering the 2008 Presidential race. "Duncan Hunter possesses the strength of character and the leadership qualities Americans need and deserve in our President at this pivotal time in our nation's history. When he runs, he can be assured of my wholehearted support."

"Many eyebrows have been raised at my support of Duncan Hunter when political protocol would dictate that a member of Arizona's congressional delegation ought to line up behind our state's Senior Senator. But, I truly believe that in this time of war, political calculation should have no role in decisions on what is right for America. Duncan Hunter's leadership is right for America."

byw, Congressman Trent Franks has a B+ report card at Americans for Better Immigration